Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > moments.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:13 AM
Andrea
light at heart

Re: 2014-10-11 Royal Festival Hall
I thought in a small place like the RFH it would be more like a classical concert.
Seems like the hardcore U/W fans, those who like sophisticated soundscapes and lyrics are not many, obviously not even to fill the RFH.
Members of the South Bank Centre are not automatically people with certain musical or art maturity. Maybe that's why they felt they need to please with a floor-filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippy View Post
I just wish people who were claiming to love the album would shut up during Tongue!
"Southbank Centre passionately believes the arts have the power to transform lives.", says the website.
Well, maybe there is some homework left to do. To learn people how to listen and enjoy music as art could be one.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:46 AM
BeautifulBurnout
MadMinistrator

Re: RFH aftermath thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRad View Post
Wow, no-one got anything to say about the Royal Festival Hall gig? I'll kick off by saying we had a ball, I was rather disappointed they didn't play Spikee, and...

...there's at least one recording in the can!

Cheers,

Dr. Matt...
Not much I can say because after all that singing and shouting last night my dodgy throat is so bad this morning I can barely croak!

As far as I am concerned this is the best Underworld gig I have ever seen. Everything was perfect. The sound quality was superb (apart from that blip in Minneapolis that gave rise to some classic comedy moments nonetheless, including the poor roadie who slipped and fell on his bum trying to fix it), the lighting was inspired, the minimalism of the art-work was spot on, the crowd were great and just hearing Dirty Epic played like that means I can die a happy woman (well, ok, my lurgey isn't actually that bad...)
Old 10-12-2014, 08:54 AM
BeautifulBurnout
MadMinistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by markreed View Post
I wrote about last night :

http://www.thefinalword.co.uk/content/view/1285/35/

"It's like watching the music equivalent of Evel Knievel jump the grand canyon, in the Batmobile, whilst high fiving James Bond on a jetpack."
Nice one,
Old 10-12-2014, 10:44 AM
twicezero
mouseman

Speaking of nuxx, I was kinda happy as it was a little like the DubNoVersion...

In the recorded version (and bootleg babies) It has rising note patterns through the second half. Instead last night's version has the beepy-drunk-trumpets that are all over the tramway 94 version (like the bit right at the start). I have no idea if it were deliberate...

I guess that's a little trainspottery...
Old 10-12-2014, 10:47 AM
thee carp dreamer
done up like a kipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
I thought in a small place like the RFH it would be more like a classical concert.
Seems like the hardcore U/W fans, those who like sophisticated soundscapes and lyrics are not many, obviously not even to fill the RFH.
Members of the South Bank Centre are not automatically people with certain musical or art maturity. Maybe that's why they felt they need to please with a floor-filler.

"Southbank Centre passionately believes the arts have the power to transform lives.", says the website.
Well, maybe there is some homework left to do. To learn people how to listen and enjoy music as art could be one.
Pretentious patronising nonsense. It was a far more enjoyable atmosphere and therefore gig than if the room had been full of seated chin strokers musing about the nuances of the wind sounds in Skyscraper.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:07 PM
markreed
mouseman

If you think the crowd was boring, you must have been outside the main hall. I've not see such a keen crowd in years.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:23 PM
Stickman
river

I couldn't agree more with the above post. The crowd was amazing.
It was like the good old days of clubbing. Rez was amazing.

I certainly felt that a vast majority of the people there were Underworld fans and NOT casual RFH members.

Best atmoshpere of any Underworld gig ever!
Old 10-12-2014, 12:44 PM
Dirty Saint
mouseman

My video from the final 5 mins of the concert. Can you spot yourself?

Last edited by Dirty Saint; 10-12-2014 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:01 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Did Pricey perform with them at all?
Old 10-13-2014, 01:40 AM
whatmakesustick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
Did Pricey perform with them at all?
He was on and off and stage - it was definitely the Rick and Karl show. Interestingly Karl sat at the side if the stage in clear view watching Rick perform surfboy and rez - kind of like he wanted him to have the 'limelight'.

And as I said earlier, best atmosphere and a London gig for ages.