Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:04 PM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

Re: Thoughts on Barking (Track by Track)
Quote:
Originally Posted by big screen satellite View Post
i agree with BLD, i don't agree either, but its been 'got' as an idea which is great

however - 'getting your hands on' disc 2 is not getting 'the album', basically its the rejects -

i'm expecting ppl here to review the disc 2 as what should have been and thats wrong imo...
disc 2 is not 'Barking' the album or the album 90% of the people will buy -

disc 2 is a kinda thanks to the fans who listened to the process - the lemonworld jams etc - thanks for staying with us, but DISC 1 is the album and as such stands up

i hope there's no backlash when ppl get teh second disc
I feel the same. We don't know what we're getting with disc 2, even if the stuff we get will be good quality versions or not. They good just be like, poorly recorded jams. It's not clear that they'll be the original studio versions, though that's implied here, it may not be anything more than what we have already. That said UW is not exactly known for putting out poorly recorded garbage so I'm guessing it will at least sound good.

That said...before you call this the "rejects"...wasn't "Cherry Pie" a reject? "Parc"? "8 Ball"? "You Do Scribble"? UW have a reputation for having great rejects!
Old 09-02-2010, 12:06 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

Work in Progress or Demo ≠ Reject. Otherwise, BSS is right on.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:07 PM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

1. Bird 1 - Have to agree - it's a great opening. Dubfire definitely has a heavy hand... but I kinda like it. It's also funny b/c I remember going to the Yoshitoshi Shop in DC (when he was a part of Deep Dish, they had a record store/ studio there)... and one time, I came in, and asked if he 'knew underworld' (meaning - are you aware of their music, b/c I wanted to buy similar stuff) -> he gave me a very annoyed reply of "Not personally" - completely missing the point, but I digress...

2. Always Loved A Film - It almost sounds too fun. Like, I'd feel silly if someone heard me blasting it on my car stereo

3. Scribble - I keep flip-flopping about this. I wonder how "You Do Scribble" would've sounded with lyrics... or this track without those synth stabs...

4. Hamburg Hotel - It reeeeeaaaaalllly reminds me of "Mosiac" and also of some of the old-old improvs (like around 94/95, especially 1995 Leicester University)

5. Grace - I think this track is great. I thought "Telematic Peal [Version.2]" (from the June 11th broadcast) was good enough on its own, but I dig the new pattern of the percussion... it's got a nice sway, instead of a steady pulse

6. Between Stars - for some reason... It kinda reminds me of Depeche Mode (like their live renditions of old standards, like "Enjoy the Silence"). Not a bad thing.

7. Diamond Jigsaw - Absolutely can't get into this song at all. It's the only song I couldn't listen through.

8. Moon In Water - I thought the original sounded "nice" and was very chill. Basically, it sounded like an OWB bside... this sounds like a SINGLE.

9. Louisiana - It actually made me a bit teary eyed. Just something about the tones, and the sounds really really got to me. The second half of the song or so - like when the live-sounding drums come in, sounds a bit Moby-ish. I mean, it seems that it's what Moby was trying to get at with "Hotel" (but Underworld succeeded)

10. Simple Peal - Really just feels like a bonus track. I couldn't tell any difference between it and the one that was available to download back in 2008. It fits in as well as Phonestrap would've...
Old 09-02-2010, 12:23 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

who said they were out of ideas? they're stuffed with them. they're excited, they're bounding with enthusiasm, it just sometimes works and sometimes doesnt.

bird 1 - seemed more substantial live, like theyve translated its darkness into something more quiet. it's good, though i expected it to be more.. insistent. 7

always loved a film – decent-i-guess. anyone remember when this was full of anxiety, a bit disjointed? now i'm being asked if i can feel heaven. egh. if we're gonna get cheesy though, this is an okay way to do it. Shit guitar break though. 6

scribble - still terrible. hate the beat, and the riff is a headache. meaningless. sometimes you dont appreciate things until they're gone and to hear YDS turn into this is just awful. it's not an embarrassment though, just something i hate. 2.5

hamburg hotel – this is good. I agree with the 90s vibe and its ‘incompleteness’ doesn’t bother me. It’s them having a go to what the kids are up to in their own way. Wouldn’t get anyone excited but appreciated for where it is. 7

grace. There was nothing wrong with telematic’s beat and it was a lot better than what’s here. Nonetheless I think it’s a good egg. It’s nice when karl let’s the words talk instead of the voice. Unlike a lot of this album, there’s nothing to get used to here. I think I might get bored of it pretty soon. 6

between stars – I think this is their most successful grab at outward-uw-pop for this album. Feels shorter than it is, and I like how the vocals nearly get drowned out because what words I can hear sound completely ridiculous. So the shouting is all left to mirror the noise of the song, and his delivery is excellent. Exciting! Some bits strike me as a tad stupid as expected for a song like this but I really don’t care right now. Better on headphones, you feel saturated. 8.5

diamond jigsaw – the second in the 1-2 punch of pop done right for them. That stupid fucking guitar threatens to upend everything into technoshitrock nonsense but it’s quickly assimilated into what works and karl is again on fire, plus the lyrics don’t sound half bad this time. 7.5

moon on water – the purpose of this one still escapes me. It’s a slowburn, it’s rich, it’s a bright light, it does nothing for me at all. I don’t even get mad at it, I don’t feel a goddamned thing here. like chemical brothers today: music that seems to exist purely because it’s what happened. Dry hole. 4

Louisiana – the wavering vocal already got the wary eye from me but I took it on its own terms, I liked the piano, the words were great, this was going to be a warm little send off. Oh but then the beat. That beat. Fucking ridiculous. Ruined. 3

Simple Peal – I dunno about you guys, but rick is pretty decent at capturing the ambient noises in your head when you simply sit back and experience life happening around you. Steady pulses, tones, a bit of peace, hearing something then quietly repeating it to yourself. Doesn’t fit on the album but who gives a fuck. Glad it’s here. 7.5

The cruel average of numbers has me rating this a 5.9 but I feel like it’s more of a 7. The album shows what theyre going for, they made a decent crack at it, and it’s another angle to a restless band always trying to create more. Still an apologist slant for what would be something I’d toss if it were done by others (because at the end of the day I wouldn’t care if I never heard ‘between stars’ from anyone else), but I really thought this was going to be the one that I didn’t care about. I’d hear it once, get back to what I was doing, and shake the dust from the kind of fanboyism that listens to an album he only likes half of a bunch of times. nooope. I may be mixed on this but they’re still grabbing me because it’s their trajectory and it’s still interesting. I think I’ve listened to it through about 7 times since yesterday and I’m still totally fine with it. I expected something pretty bad, and got something decent, so I’m happy.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:22 PM
dc_04
mouseman

disagreements are good!

always enjoy the discourse here surrounding a new UW release.

- dc
Old 09-02-2010, 02:58 PM
Sappys Curry
mouseman

I think it is solid, and I need more listens with it to form a better opinion. I'm sure this album will grow on me more.

(Songs below are listed in the order they are on the album)

Songs I think are very good: Bird 1, Always Loved A Film, Louisiana, Simple Peal
Songs I think are good: Hamburg Hotel, Diamond Jigsaw, Moon in Water
Songs I think are decent/okay: Scribble, Grace, Between Stars

Those last three are not too good to me (those listed as 'decent/okay'), but I don't dislike them (there is hardly any song from UW I dislike). I'd say my favorite of those three is Between Stars. I read an opinion that it is over produced and I agree it does seem so. Less is more sometimes (or maybe often times, heh).

I really do think the album will grow on me more with repeated listens. I don't think it'll beat OWB for me personally. I definitely don't think that this is the best album from them since STITI or Dubnobass like some do. No disrespect to their opinions, just stating my take on such comments. I don't think this album will beat BF or OWB for me, and it may or may not rank above AHDO for me. (To note, that is just my current speculation about the album vs. other UW albums)

But such things really aren't that important. I like this album, that is the bottom line. I like this album and it'll grow on me over more listens. I really look forward to what I call the alternate album (CD 2). I have a feeling that I'll like CD 2 of the box set more, and if this ends up being the case, that doesn't mean I'll just forget about the main album. It is exciting because CD 2 of the box set; with it, it is like we get two new albums from UW in the same month. And CD 2 isn't "the rejects" like someone said. It's the alternate album. It is unofficially another album from UW, if you ask me. Unofficially one, but I'll just chalk it up as another major release from them. It will be like the River Run series. A major release from UW that is geared for the diehard fans.

And about the bonus track, Simple Peal is a great track. It is no different from the version that has been around, but that is okay; the song is very good as it is. When I have YDS AR Version, I'll put Barking on my iPod with the nine tracks of the regular release (because I really like Louisiana as a closing track) and then make a playlist for the playlist category that has Simple Peal and YDS AR Version. Also, I hope that Are you Rockstar? gets a release on an EP. That deserves an official release. Same thing for Toobee. Another good track that could use an official release on an EP. Maybe they should release an EP with those two songs and Louisiana.

Last edited by Sappys Curry; 09-02-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:13 PM
blue

Agreed. Simple Peal is a fantastic bonus track, and I kind of wish they'd do a full album of this kind of stuff (besides I'm a big Sister, etc.)

Finally figured out what bothered me about Jigsaw...the main melody is totally different! I was just hearing the old one in my head!
Old 09-02-2010, 03:16 PM
the mongoose
talks to God

1. Bird 1 - Love the abstract & imaginative lyrics and the slow builing beat to start the fire off right. Getting more used to the hihats and synth plops in the percussion, and I think I’ve actually grown to like them in the mix now. Great choice as the warm up opener.

2. Always Loved a Film - Album version is a thick wall of sound (in a good way) from the beginning. The springy echo sounds at the start are much more prominant than they were on the radio edit. Catchy lyrics (HEAVEN chorus especially) and a perfect breakdown in the center of the track is what made this the obvious lead single. Love the piano stabs at the end too. As I described it in an earlier post, it kinda reminds me of a modern day Pink Floyd track that’s geared for the dancefloor.

3. Scribble - You Do Scribble is baked right in, so that is a huge plus for me…because that song has easily been one of my favorite new Underworld tracks that they've created in the last couple of years. The changes to it took a while to get used to, but I think its great as its own standalone single. Looking forward to hearing the Abbey Road version of You Do Scribble as well as the studio version of the original on Box Set cd 2. PM me if you happen to come across a copy of that ole illusive Abbey version.

4. Hamburg Hotel - Echoes of offbeat dubstep mixed with a tuba sounding bass that begins to modulate as the track evolves. Warbles of spoken word snippets zip around as well. Feels very rooted in Jazz, with the percussive elements shaking, scrubbing, and tapping away in a freeform style. Very alternative and subtlely layered track for sure. You should definitely reserve final judgement on this one until you give it a few listens…it will slowly grow on you!

5. Grace - Seems like a slow, introspective song at first, but somewhere around midpoint (about where the acoustic guitar part kicks in), the whole song feels like it gains a large amount of momentum that opens it up well. Catch myself humming and singing the lyrics to this one to myself quite a bit actually.

6. Between Stars - This is hands down the best treadmill running/ driving really fast song on the album. The lyrics are interesting and go well with the orchestrated high pitch synth pads that are featured throughout. Borderline cheese though.

7. Diamond Jigsaw – Glad that the “Chariots of Fire” synth was done away with in lieu of a more prominent guitar lead. In fact, the guitar solos on this track are the best part about it. Lyrics are fine and match well with the carefree, poke-your-chest-out vibe that the drums and guitar convey here so well. Obvious choice for next single or should it be Bird 1?

8. Moon in Water – Raped and left bloody in an alley. No, actually its not that bad of a reimagining. 70% of the lyrics are still there (this time spoken by Danielle) but it bugs me that they’re not fully intact…..the whole “present never invites….with knowing not which to depend….this is the time that you realize” part is completely snipped, with an almost taunting reminder that “things are constantly changing, changing, changing”. The rise and fall of the synth waves are much more intense, and make you forget that there is a far superior “original” version on Box Set cd 2…lol. That said, I still love this track.

9. Louisiana – Fits in on the album like a pale blonde boy on stage at the Apollo playing country music about hockey. But, regardless, it’s a very nice relaxing closer. Your friends and those in traffic around you will hate you so be forewarned. MANLY FEELINGS *grunts*.

10. Simple Peel – Calming atmospheric ambience, and the perfect true closing track to the album. Sub frequencies and subtle synth tones dance with sounds of bells, voices, and bits of static or silence. Amazing blast of fresh air that harkens back to the good ole’ Tongue and Blueski days of old.

Last edited by the mongoose; 09-08-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:46 PM
blue

good review mongoose...I agree with almost all of it (except that I liked the Chariots of Fire synths).

Here's my honest take...this is kind of like the Thriller of electro...almost every track could be a single, doesn't really fit too well as an album, but it hardly matters. No, really:

"Bird 1" is like "Wanna be Startin Somethin", nervous, sneakily funky, very wordy.
"ALAF" would be "Thriller",
"Diamond Jigasaw" is of course "Beat It",
"Grace" would be "Billie Jean" (very rhythmic, kind of apprehensive),
"Moon in Water" would be "Human Nature",
"Between Stars" would be "PYT" (great dance tune with a retro synth hook)

god...i'm a dork
Old 09-02-2010, 04:58 PM
Lx_Nen
Romford no more

Ok, since everyone else is having a go, I might as well too...

Bird 1 - I can't think of any time I've ever said this about a track before... it's too long. For me, 3 mins 15 seconds to get to the chorus doesn't work for such a poppy song. Having said that, trimming 2 minutes off the front and sticking 2 more of development at the end would be great, I'm thinking 'Cups' part II... actually, this is a comment on the whole album, one of the great things about underworld is that they often start off somewhere, and end up somewhere else. Nothing on this album does that, which I think makes it feel a lot less underworld-y... anyway 9/10

Always Loved a Film - Massive, uplifting... perfect pop. I really hope the public gets to hear this, if Depeche Mode or New Order had written it, it would be a worldwide number 1. 9.5/10

Scribble - Massive, uplifting... but lightweight. I've had a blast deafening myself with this down country lanes with the top down in the sun, but I just know I'll be skipping past it in about 6 months. Could have been amazing if it morphed into the wilder bits of YDS after about 5m 30s. 7/10

Hamburg Hotel - aah, the inevitable 'one I don't like'. The unfunky drums sound forced, and there's no sense of direction. It's got an AHDO sound to it, and not in a good way. If I was in charge, I'd have tucked this away on a b-side and put 'Downpipe' in it's place, a killer tune that would have filled this spot perfectly. 4/10

Grace - a good, solid album track, I like it a lot... but continuing my theme of what ifs, I'd rather have had Bamboo in it's place. 6/10

Between Stars - Massive, uplifting... we're back into 'every track's a hit single' territory here. Needs Rick to do several longer mixes (and not just farm it out to whoever gets their name written in this month's mixmag the most). 9/10

Diamond Jigsaw - Massive, uplifting... still firmly in 'every track's a hit single' territory. I really love the song, but I find the vocal is a bit muffled. It's tuly epic, and yet strangely this has a strong Underworld MK1 feel to it, which is odd, but refreshing. Could have done with Trevor Horn instead of PVD, but you can't have everything! 9.5/10

Moon in Water - my absolute favourite track. While the rest of the album is overtly 'pop' (and is damn good at it), this track somehow manages to condense all the quirkiness and depth that's missing from the first 7 tracks in to something that, if you tried to describe it in words, ought to be an unlistenable self-indulgent pile of tosh, but actually manages to be both the most 'underworldly' thing on the album (despite Karl not doing the vocals) and also the most catchy. My only criticism is that it's criminally short. 10/10

Louisiana - hmm, I normally despise ballads, and I really, really don't like the vibrato effect on the vocals, but it's damn good at being what it is. 6/10

Last edited by Lx_Nen; 09-04-2010 at 01:55 PM.