Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > world.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:41 PM
Future Proof
Richard Simmons

Abandon ship!!! The SS Palin is sinking!
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/...ion/index.html

Even though it's noted that Palin broke no laws, it seems highly likely that the backlash from this will be crippling to McSame's presidential campaign, if not the final straw that pushes McCain out of contention entirely.

I'm voting for Obama, but I have to say that if Palin was Obama's running mate that this would probably make me change my vote. There are severe ethical ramifications to what Palin did, and someone as vindictive as Palin shouldn't be anywhere near the presidential seat, in my humble opinion.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Future Proof; 10-10-2008 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Grammatical corrections
Old 10-10-2008, 05:42 PM
cacophony
disquietude

Re: Abandon ship!!! The SS Palin is sinking!
i seriously don't think this will affect palin supporters at all.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:42 PM
Future Proof
Richard Simmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacophony View Post
Is this because of their intelligence, or is there another reason?
Old 10-10-2008, 06:47 PM
Sean
Where in the world...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacophony View Post
I agree - not Palin supporters, but anyone who's a Palin supporter would never be considering voting for Obama anyway. It could make a big difference with independents and moderate Republicans though - the people who will probably be deciding this election.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:12 PM
kagenaki koe
children are futura

you can download the public report here
http://media.adn.com/smedia/2008/10/...ffiliate.7.pdf

i'm only up to page 40 something-ish, right about the turning point of Palin immediately wanting to get rid of Monegan for (in a kind of funny kind of way):

apparently there was a trooper event that Palin was to be at, and Monegan dropped off a photo/poster for the event for Palin to sign off on. little did Monegan know that the poster boy was Wooten!!!
Old 10-10-2008, 08:45 PM
cured
sikk

Palin = maverick. "To hell with your rules, I'll make my own."

She probably was cleared of violating laws because the ethics laws in Alaska don't include that kind of behavior in an actual law.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:16 AM
BeautifulBurnout
MadMinistrator

I am fascinated by the spin the Repub Machine is trying to put on this already. From the CNN link:
Quote:
The lawyers representing both Sarah and Todd Palin issued a three-page attack on the investigative report, including the contention that Ethics Act violations can only involve financial motives and financial "potential gain, or the avoidance of a potential loss."
"Here, there is no accusation, no finding and no facts that money or financial gain to the Governor was involved in the decision to replace Monegan," the lawyers said.
Being a lawyuh and all, this is a red rag to a bull, so I dug a little further and found Ethics Statute to which they are referring here.
Quote:
AS 39.52.110. Scope of Code.

(a) The legislature reaffirms that each public officer holds office as a public trust, and any effort to benefit a personal (my emphasis) or financial interest through official action is a violation of that trust. In addition, the legislature finds that, so long as it does not interfere with the full and faithful discharge of an officer's public duties and responsibilities, this chapter does not prevent an officer from following other independent pursuits. The legislature further recognizes that (1) in a representative democracy, the representatives are drawn from society and, therefore, cannot and should not be without personal and financial interests in the decisions and policies of government; (2) people who serve as public officers retain their rights to interests of a personal or financial nature; and (3) standards of ethical conduct for members of the executive branch need to distinguish between those minor and inconsequential conflicts that are unavoidable in a free society, and those conflicts of interests that are substantial and material. (b) Unethical conduct is prohibited, but there is no substantial impropriety if, as to a specific matter, a public officer's (1) personal or financial interest in the matter is insignificant, or of a type that is possessed generally by the public or a large class of persons to which the public officer belongs; or (2) action or influence would have insignificant or conjectural effect on the matter. (c) The attorney general, designated supervisors, hearing officers, and the personnel board must be guided by this section when issuing opinions and reaching decisions.
This report is strong evidence for the Personnel Board that she has gained personal benefit from her role as Governor. Of course, under subsections (b)(2), they may well find that the action or influence would have insignificant or conjectural effect. But I doubt it.

Edit: I wonder how long it will be before we hear that the action with the Personnel Board - the enquiry she was really waiting for because this one had no standing - is a Democrat smear too?

Last edited by BeautifulBurnout; 10-11-2008 at 05:38 AM.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:56 AM
Deckard
issue 37

Palin abused power?

"Y'knaw, Kadie, I'm a MAVERICK - n' MAVERICK's don't need rules, Kadie, because, y'knaw.... this great country needs MAVERICKS.... to defend against those nu-cu-lrr eye-Ranians, n Poooootn, n' all. Ronald Reagan...... "

Sheesh. Sorry, this isn't PC, but never underestimate the amount of out there. This won't affect Palin supporters one bit. As others have said, it will hopefully bring a few more independents in from the Dark Side.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:59 AM
cacophony
disquietude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Proof View Post
Is this because of their intelligence, or is there another reason?
of all qualities i would ascribe to palin supporters, intelligence isn't one of them.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:05 AM
BeautifulBurnout
MadMinistrator

w00t!

As the East Coast is reading the news over breakfast, Obama's rating just jumped to a 7.1% lead in the Real Clear Politics polls.

Excellent.

Will be interesting to see how this develops as the shit continues to hit the fans on its way west