Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 11-17-2018, 02:06 PM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

Re: Drift Ep. 1, Part 3 - Low Between Zebras
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Goat View Post
For those of us who are newer to the forums, are any of these old tracks still available anywhere?
I've got some tracks in a folder called "underworldlive.com tracks" with MamaNuxx jam, Bit of Rope For Web, Unruly July etc but I've never heard anything about Swing up high until someone on here mentioned it the other day. What is dogboy headset?
Is there a list of all these other tracks anywhere so I can see what I'm missing?
Also does anyone know where the 7min version of Why why why came from?
None of those songs are available publicly anymore - there's not an 'UW Archive Website' (even though I know at lot of us on the forum have asked / suggested)

For a (relatively) brief period of time, UW Live was rebranded as 'dogboyheadset'... It included some audio, and - if I remember correctly - a collection of UW/Tomato videos (some were previously on Underworldlive, some weren't)

[maybe Dogboyheadset was supposed to be an archive at one point in time??] - this was at least ten/fifteen years ago

There were two different versions of "Swing Up High" ... Honestly, it was so long ago that my memory of it is a bit fuzzy, but I think they posted it when they were playing the early version of "You Do Scribble" live (so maybe the OWB tour)

I'm not sure about a 7 minute version of "Why Why Why" - but I do know there are two different versions on these releases:

This has a 5:16 version
https://www.discogs.com/volume-eight/release/115269

this one is 8:20
https://www.discogs.com/wasted-the-b.../release/89013

maybe it's a fan edit? According to discogs - there is a 7 minute version on:
https://www.discogs.com/millenium-hits/release/12593517

[edit]
I'm at work now, but later this weekend - I'll at least post a list of what I managed to save from the website

Last edited by joethelion; 11-17-2018 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:51 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

I used Swing Up High in this video here:

Old 11-18-2018, 03:46 AM
purlieu
enofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by khouri View Post
I'd be surprised if any of this music was reassembled as a traditional album.
I agree that it's unlikely we'll be getting a standard CD / LP type album affair, but the fact these are all being release as Episode 1, Part X is interesting (given that the tracks don't seem to have much connection), and that the first two tracks are obviously edits, and the focus on streaming... I wonder if we'll get a Riverrun-style download of the full Episode 1 as a single track or something in a few weeks. I find it hard to believe they'd really just put up edits as videos and leave it at that.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:35 AM
Billy Goat
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethelion View Post
None of those songs are available publicly anymore - there's not an 'UW Archive Website' (even though I know at lot of us on the forum have asked / suggested)

For a (relatively) brief period of time, UW Live was rebranded as 'dogboyheadset'... It included some audio, and - if I remember correctly - a collection of UW/Tomato videos (some were previously on Underworldlive, some weren't)

[maybe Dogboyheadset was supposed to be an archive at one point in time??] - this was at least ten/fifteen years ago

There were two different versions of "Swing Up High" ... Honestly, it was so long ago that my memory of it is a bit fuzzy, but I think they posted it when they were playing the early version of "You Do Scribble" live (so maybe the OWB tour)

I'm not sure about a 7 minute version of "Why Why Why" - but I do know there are two different versions on these releases:

This has a 5:16 version
https://www.discogs.com/volume-eight/release/115269

this one is 8:20
https://www.discogs.com/wasted-the-b.../release/89013

maybe it's a fan edit? According to discogs - there is a 7 minute version on:
https://www.discogs.com/millenium-hits/release/12593517

[edit]
I'm at work now, but later this weekend - I'll at least post a list of what I managed to save from the website
Thanks for the Swing Up High video, it sounds a bit like Lenny Penne to me after the first listen.

I've got the 7 min version of Why why why but I've no idea where from and what quality it is. I think I prefer it to the 12min one though as I find it flows better. Are the other versions different lengths because they're mixed in to other tracks or are they just different edits? If anyone knows that would be great as if they're unmixed I'm tempted to try and get a cheap copy of the cd with the 8min version on.
As for any other tracks I'd love to know (and get hold of) anything that I've missed in the past as these days I mostly listen to these kinds of tracks or live sets as I've listen to the album tracks so many times I like something different!
Old 11-18-2018, 02:42 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
I've got the 7 min version of Why why why but I've no idea where from and what quality it is.
How long, exactly, is it?

Quote:
Are the other versions different lengths because they're mixed in to other tracks or are they just different edits?
The two from the Volume collections are not mixed. They're also unique edits (and not just fade edits).
Old 11-18-2018, 03:47 PM
Billy Goat
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
How long, exactly, is it?

The two from the Volume collections are not mixed. They're also unique edits (and not just fade edits).
It's the 7:34 version of WWW.
I've just ordered the Best Of Wasted cd with the 8min version on as 5mins is too short for me (although I am tempted) plus, it also had a remix of Hyperreal by the Shamen! I know it's on a different thread but the Shamen are surely Underworld contemparies? The black cover En-tact still sounds amazing to me especially Hyperreal and Hear Me O My People! Boss Drum onwards was far too mainstream although I can still remember all the words to Ebeneezer Goode! 😂
Old 11-20-2018, 10:59 AM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

Ok after a bit of a panic (I thought I had lost the bulk of the files I referenced earlier, but then I realized - "Oh wait, they're just on my dropbox") - here's a rough list of what was available to download, at various points in time.

I would just post the videos online... but I'm not sure if it'd be "cool" to share the videos. Especially as some were done by Tomato, and some things are works-in-progress. Oh, and they're all crazy low resolution, by today's standards.

The list below is by no means complete, and doesn’t include all of the streaming-only files, like “Swing Up High” and the field recordings (and early versions of “Autotrader”) they shared on the Oblivion with Bells Tour.

Oh, and it doesn't include a list of all the Diaries and Couch Photographs, b/c that'd be insane.

In studio tracks:

Kippers
background, ambient music used in a section of Underworld's webpage, called "Kippers"
Bungalow With Stairs 001
Basically a 10 minute "highlights" edit of Rick's soundtrack, which wasn't released until several years later
Vocoder Monks
Apparently this is from 1993..?
Bit Of Rope For Web (Ref: 010101)
Also titled as: “Ref: 010101”
King of Snake (Spoken Word Version)
“An early mix from September 1997”
This is more-or-less a shorter version of ‘King Of Snake (Garage Mix A1313 Set 97b)’

Shout Twice ('Something Like a Mama' Beats)
Also titled as “File_200401”
Unruly July ("I've Been to Every Underworld Gig")
[I]This was released just after a forum discussion about how many times different people had seen UW, up to that point.
ManLoop (File_250501)
Also titled as: File_250501. It's (apparently) a live-in-studio jam, of "Thing in a Book"
Stagger (Live Jam / Longer Mix)
Also titled as: “File_010601"
Quick bit for Web ('Ansum' Early Version)
Info: File_250601 / 110501: this track later became "Ansum" a b-side used as intro music during the AHDO Tour.
If I remember correctly - “Quick Bit for the Web” originally showed up as ‘File_250601’, but it was cut short.

——
Eclipse (Leo Zero Re-Edit)
Free download via the Underworldlive.com webpage in 2011. Album labeled as "Ready 4 mastering" when I originally downloaded it.

——
Dark and Long (Dark Train Jam)
Released in 2010
——
[CanufeelD1]
Darren Price, Cool Breeze SoundSystem (Can u Feel This Bass?) – July 2007
——

Then you have stuff like the “020202” and “Phonestrap” singles, and the RiverRun series.

——

Lemonworld Jam, 2000

Oich Jam
Airtowel (live Jam)
Mmm... Skyscraper, I Love You
Mama / Nuxx

——

“Burger Van Man” gig.
1996-07-06
Torhout / Werchter Festival; Werchter, Belgium

——

Blue Mountain Jam ’99
Live performance / jam / rehearsal during the filming of “Push Upstairs” music video

——

1999.07.30 | Fuji Rock Festival, Naeba, Japan
(If I remember correctly, at least one of these songs made it onto “Everything, Everything”)

——

2005.07.06 | Underworldlive.com | Sofia, Bulgaria

…there almost certainly were a couple more shows, but I don’t think I’ve got them anymore.
——

Now… onto the videos… It’s hard to really describe them. Some seem to be ’sketches’ for later projects, some really just feel like what we’d now consider an ‘Instagram story’, others feel like finished ‘things’.

020601 (tokyo)
050701 (music bank June 01) - is an excerpt of an early version of "Mo Move" and/or "Soopher"
090701 (all the stars) - audio (spoken sample) from this later popped up in live shows, and I think a RiverRun
170701 (is that ok)
220501 she’s on that horse fantastic - this has a superfamiliar sounding 'industrial' beat, and samples of talking (like I think someone ordering food at a cafe)
Blue_White
Closewriting
FastnBlurry (a short video using “Quick bit for Web” as a soundtrack)
ItalianNightRide
Ocean_White
SlowItalianLights
Tokyocrossing
TomatoByCandle
TrainsRehearsal

Abandoned: Rusty Cars (6 videos)
This is a series of short films, some have spoken word passages, some just noise, some have music

Talking Heads (8 videos)
Tomato and Tomato-adjacent people looking into the camera and reading spoken word passages. …Like stuff that sounds like the vocal samples UW sometimes uses live or in the “RiverRun” series.

Talking Heads (2 videos)

Last edited by joethelion; 11-20-2018 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:17 AM
Billy Goat
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethelion View Post
Ok after a bit of a panic (I thought I had lost the bulk of the files I referenced earlier, but then I realized - "Oh wait, they're just on my dropbox") - here's a rough list of what was available to download, at various points in time.

I would just post the videos online... but I'm not sure if it'd be "cool" to share the videos. Especially as some were done by Tomato, and some things are works-in-progress. Oh, and they're all crazy low resolution, by today's standards.

The list below is by no means complete, and doesn’t include all of the streaming-only files, like “Swing Up High” and the field recordings (and early versions of “Autotrader”) they shared on the Oblivion with Bells Tour.

Oh, and it doesn't include a list of all the Diaries and Couch Photographs, b/c that'd be insane.

In studio tracks:

Kippers
background, ambient music used in a section of Underworld's webpage, called "Kippers"
Bungalow With Stairs 001
Basically a 10 minute "highlights" edit of Rick's soundtrack, which wasn't released until several years later
Vocoder Monks
Apparently this is from 1993..?
Bit Of Rope For Web (Ref: 010101)
Also titled as: “Ref: 010101”
King of Snake (Spoken Word Version)
“An early mix from September 1997”
This is more-or-less a shorter version of ‘King Of Snake (Garage Mix A1313 Set 97b)’

Shout Twice ('Something Like a Mama' Beats)
Also titled as “File_200401”
Unruly July ("I've Been to Every Underworld Gig")
This was released just after a forum discussion about how many times different people had seen UW, up to that point.

ManLoop (File_250501)
Also titled as: File_250501. It's (apparently) a live-in-studio jam, of "Thing in a Book"

Stagger (Live Jam / Longer Mix)
Also titled as: “File_010601”

Quick bit for Web ('Ansum' Early Version)
Info: File_250601 / 110501: this track later became "Ansum" a b-side used as intro music during the AHDO Tour.
If I remember correctly - “Quick Bit for the Web” originally showed up as ‘File_250601’, but it was cut short.

——
Eclipse (Leo Zero Re-Edit)
Free download via the Underworldlive.com webpage in 2011. Album labeled as "Ready 4 mastering" when I originally downloaded it.

——

Dark and Long (Dark Train Jam)
Released in 2010

——

[CanufeelD1]
Darren Price, Cool Breeze SoundSystem (Can u Feel This Bass?) – July 2007

——

Then you have stuff like the “020202” and “Phonestrap” singles, and the RiverRun series.

——

Lemonworld Jam, 2000

Oich Jam
Airtowel (live Jam)
Mmm... Skyscraper, I Love You
Mama / Nuxx

——

“Burger Van Man” gig.
1996-07-06
Torhout / Werchter Festival; Werchter, Belgium

——

Blue Mountain Jam ’99
Live performance / jam / rehearsal during the filming of “Push Upstairs” music video

——

1999.07.30 | Fuji Rock Festival, Naeba, Japan
(If I remember correctly, at least one of these songs made it onto “Everything, Everything”)

——

2005.07.06 | Underworldlive.com | Sofia, Bulgaria

…there likely were a couple more shows, but I don’t think I’ve got them anymore.
——

Now… onto the videos… It’s hard to really describe them. Some seem to be ’sketches’ for later projects, some really just feel like what we’d now consider an ‘Instagram story’, others feel like finished ‘things’.

020601 (tokyo)
050701 (music bank June 01) - is an excerpt of an early version of "Mo Move" and/or "Soopher"
090701 (all the stars) - audio (spoken sample) from this later popped up in live shows, and I think a RiverRun
170701 (is that ok)
220501 she’s on that horse fantastic - this has a superfamiliar sounding 'industrial' beat, and samples of talking (like I think someone ordering food at a cafe)
Blue_White
Closewriting
FastnBlurry (a short video using “Quick bit for Web” as a soundtrack)
ItalianNightRide
Ocean_White
SlowItalianLights
Tokyocrossing
TomatoByCandle
TrainsRehearsal

Abandoned: Rusty Cars (6 videos)
This is a series of short films, some have spoken word passages, some just noise, some have music

Talking Heads (8 videos)
Tomato and Tomato-adjacent people looking into the camera and reading spoken word passages. …Like stuff that sounds like the vocal samples UW sometimes uses live or in the “RiverRun” series.

Talking Heads (2 videos)
WOW! Thanks for the list that must have taken ages to compile!
I've somehow managed to get most of the music tracks over the years although I've missed the Dark Train jam and early Autotrader veraiona and would love to get hold of them aomehow!

I'd also like to see the Talking Heads videos as I love all those samples especially "Remember the names of people you haven't seen for years" that was used a lot on the Live Here Now Cds.

On the topic of the vocal samples does anyone know what the "I like a bit of a weirdo..." sample is from as that is my absolute favourite and I would love to see what it's from!
Old 03-23-2023, 05:05 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

I was reading through the liner notes of Drift Series 1, and they suddenly started talking about how Simon wasn't happy with the the music video for this and how it evolved and changed over time.

I was confused, so I threw the Blu-ray in the player, and sure enough, the video on there is different from original video posted to YouTube. Layered and black & white. With it being black & white now, it reminds me more of the Good Morning Cockerel video. That one was done by John Warwicker, so the similarity probably escaped Simon.