Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > world.

Old 08-30-2008, 12:34 PM
bryantm3
It's Written In The Book!

parah salin?
John McCain is not only trying desperately to win this election, he's putting the fate of our country in jeopardy. This woman has been a governor of a state that has a population smaller than that of Charlotte, North Carolina, and before that she was a mayor of a town of less than 9,000 people.

John McCain is an old man- in fact, if he is elected, he will be the oldest first term president ever elected. And, although he is seemingly in good health, old people die, no matter how much power they might have. Can you imagine John McCain having a heart attack and having this woman in power? The thought scares me. This woman has nowhere near the experience and judgement to assume the office of president, and she doesn't have the maturity to put her country first and deny the office of vice president due to her extreme inexperience.

The biggest thing this woman has ever done was try to build a public use sports complex in her town of Wasilla. Unfortunately, a developer named Gary Lundgren already owned the land, so, get this- she attempted to acquire the land through eminent domain. Republicans are supposed to be for individual rights and freedoms. All throughout the writings of John Locke and the Declaration of Independence, property rights are again and again stated as something that everyone deserves as a natural right. The land is still being disputed, but while it is, they went ahead and built the sports complex.

And conveniently, this little bit of information was strangely removed from her wikipedia article only a few hours after her Vice Presidential nominee status was announced.

And the biggest thing- SHE'S A FLIP FLOPPER!

She was for the 'bridge to nowhere' being funded by federal tax dollars before it became unpopular- and then she was against it!

In her campaign to become governor, she advocated teaching creationism in schools, and, once she was elected, she said it wasn't neccesary!

And this is the killer for the conservative Christians- she states she's against gay marriage, but she approves giving gay couples the same rights as married men and women.

So there are three questions to ask:

1. Does she have the experience and wisdom to be able to become president at any time?

2. Barring that, is she an honest person who holds steadfast to her beliefs and will uphold the principles of the Declaration of Independence and laws of the Constitution?

3. Finally, will she help John McCain get elected?

I think we all know the answers to all three.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:41 PM
kagenaki koe
children are futura

Re: sarah palin?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
And the biggest thing- SHE'S A FLIP FLOPPER!

She was for the 'bridge to nowhere' being funded by federal tax dollars before it became unpopular- and then she was against it!

In her campaign to become governor, she advocated teaching creationism in schools, and, once she was elected, she said it wasn't neccesary!

And this is the killer for the conservative Christians- she states she's against gay marriage, but she approves giving gay couples the same rights as married men and women.
McCain is right. She's just like him
Old 08-30-2008, 12:47 PM
IsiliRunite
de la Michigan

Send a message via AIM to IsiliRunite
He blew the election when he passed over Romney. Hell, Romney, Huckabee, or Ron Paul should have been the candidate.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:39 PM
cured
sikk

Alska actually kept the dollars for the bridge to nowhere, too. They just didn't build it.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:16 PM
chuck
i'm getting older too

Send a message via ICQ to chuck Send a message via AIM to chuck
The choice of Palin is just plain bonkers.

But that's an outsiders opinion.

If - as seems to be the point, the aim is get Hillary voters across to back the ticket - because, you know, she has boobs - then the last 8 years have really screwed with sensibilities in the US.

Because you know the Washington elite aren't going to give her the time of day.

It does seem odd - after 8 years of GW and the intense power that was/is Cheney - to try to imagine McCain and Palin being in the White House.

That's what's really strange - after all the footstomping, chestbeating, red-meat gargling, strong on terrrism fanaticism we've seen from the GOP over the last 8 years - this old guy and as Stewart says "the Emmy award winning librarian from any Cinemax movie" - are the best they've got to take on the torch.

And they want the rest of the world, and their own population to believe in and follow these two.

Bonkers.

At least our female PM looks like she'd smash you, just as soon as talk to you.

- S. Colbert
Old 08-30-2008, 05:27 PM
cacophony
disquietude

Quote:
she then kept the federal money that was earmarked for the project and recommended that they use it instead as a disbursement to the general alaskan population. apparently figuring federal tax dollars should go to a, "you chose to live in alaska, here's some money" initiative.

Quote:
So there are three questions to ask:

1. Does she have the experience and wisdom to be able to become president at any time?

2. Barring that, is she an honest person who holds steadfast to her beliefs and will uphold the principles of the Declaration of Independence and laws of the Constitution?

3. Finally, will she help John McCain get elected?

1. i don't believe so, although i'm not sure "at any time" is the appropriate context. i don't believe she is at a point in her career right now where she has the wisdom or experience. but then, i also ride the fence on whether obama has the experience and wisdom to become president. what is reassuring about obama is that he seems to surround himself with very knowledgeable advisers and he seems like an extremely intelligent person who is able to hear advice, learn an issue quickly, and make intelligent decisions based on the available information (as evidenced by his responses in the so-called "science debate"). so far palin's track record doesn't show a similar ability.

2. i don't feel you can really pose that question at this point. if your argument is that she's inexperienced, then she hasn't built a record of office that would illustrate her integrity or intentions to uphold the US constitution. you also have provided too few examples to evaluate her honesty or how steadfast she is in her core ethics. i'm not arguing one way or another here, i just feel like the answer to #1 means you can't actually answer #2.

3. as they say in the south, she might could. remember, there's a very strong evangelical voter base out there that just wants the illusion of integrity and conservative values. she absolutely embodies conservative values at least superficially. don't forget that george bush sailed his way into a re-election based on the very common argument that, "he might not always be right, but at least he sticks to his guns." not to mention the "fiscally conservative" voter base who cast their ballots for bush in spite of the fact that he's run the most spend-a-riffic administration possible, simply because he spoke the language of conservatism. sadly, both the democrats and the republicans have a large voter base that is willing to vote for soundbites over substance, so it's perfectly plausible that she could create the illusion of conservatism that the traditionalists are looking for and that could win back some of the disenfranchised right wing.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:38 PM
cacophony
disquietude

one other thought: i'm not a big fan of the "mccain is old" argument, especially in the context that he's old and will therefore surely die in office and leave us with an inevitable palin presidency. horseshit. the man is systemically healthy as a horse and showing no signs of decline. he may be older than any first term president but that isn't really saying much.

hell, william harrison served as president when he was 68 years old, in 1841. do you realize what the life expectancy difference is between 1841 and 2008? reagan was 69 when he took office for his first term, and the dude lived until 2004.

be concerned about his brushes with skin cancer, sure. but that's not an age-related illness.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:21 PM
Future Proof
Richard Simmons

I love how in the wake of all this, the media just tries and tries to be sexy, only to display themselves as completely out of touch with the average voter.

This moronic quote from a Politico article (http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/12997), a commonly repeated idea in many news pubs, is the subject of my criticism:

Quote:
Palin, the logic goes, will prompt voters to give him a second look — especially women who have watched Democrats reject Hillary Rodham Clinton for Barack Obama.
Now, you tell me... what self-respecting female will cross party lines and go against their value system just to put "a woman" in office? Some will cross over because "OMG it's a chick, you go girl!!!" and general moronic gestures, but enough to sway an election? As Bryant so clearly pointed out, Sarah Palin is a completely inexperienced Republican buffoon, and will probably cost McCain more votes than earn him.

My prediction, a moderate win of the popular vote for Obama, and an electoral landslide in November.

P.S. - Did McCain just pick this woman's name out of a hat? Completely irresponsible imo.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:41 PM
kagenaki koe
children are futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Proof View Post
what self-respecting female will cross party lines and go against their value system just to put "a woman" in office?
the hillary supporters who will vote mccain just because obama beat clinton (and snubbed her for the vp spot)
Old 08-30-2008, 06:52 PM
Future Proof
Richard Simmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagenaki koe View Post
the hillary supporters who will vote mccain just because obama beat clinton (and snubbed her for the vp spot)
Dang, 47 less votes for Obama...