Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2008, 09:56 AM
Jafs
Tells

Dubstep
To continue the previous dubstep related topic with Burial for title (see here http://www.darktrain.org/dirty/forum...ghlight=burial)

Thoughts about albums from Scuba, Benga, Pinch,... ? Love the crossover between techno and dubstep with prime producers like 2562 or Peverelist ?

Let's share & discuss here !
Old 04-17-2008, 04:41 PM
m.g.
teh n00b

Re: Dubstep
Mmm... well, taking the risk to be flamed here & it's just my opinion but I don't like dubstep, I don't understand all the noise & the buzz around it & I think Burial is one of the most overrated thing in the last year. Period.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:43 AM
Leon
bungalow

Personally, I LOVE Burial. The thing with me is, I just don't take the time to get to know the genre, even though I've heard quite a lot of amazing stuff (both live and recordings).
Old 04-18-2008, 02:38 PM
Jafs
Tells

Back to july 2005, someone on another forum posted that first Burial album artwork which immediately attracted me. Listened to 3 samples on amazon and bought it immediately, and felt in love with this.

But after, when I was searching for more stuff, the other name I felt on was Vex'd and their Degenerate LP... the transition between the urban soul r'n b garage whatever soundscapes of Burial and the raw and industrial sounds of the duo was hard and totally unexpected

So I let this down for a while, till hearing Pinch's "Qawwali" for the first time, on the Last fm radio player. I was totally fascinated by this track, so melancholic, atmospheric, and those bass frequencies, hmmm... So I really started to wait for an album from the Bristol guy.

Since then I had loads of dubstep albums in my ears and on my shelves (less on the last than on the first I admit ), and those I prefer are from Distance, Pinch, Benga, Boxcutter and Cyrus, and certainly the next to come in that dub/minimal/detroit techno crossover with the genre (2562, Peverelist, Appleblim,...).

Last edited by Jafs; 05-04-2008 at 04:29 AM.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:42 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Leon: you need to visit Utrecht to the Dubstep-a-gogo parties. Theyre very popular here and the soundsystem is awesome. http://www.dubstepagogo.com/ last one was yesterday
Old 04-20-2008, 06:04 AM
Leon
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpee View Post
Leon: you need to visit Utrecht to the Dubstep-a-gogo parties. Theyre very popular here and the soundsystem is awesome. http://www.dubstepagogo.com/ last one was yesterday
Actually, that dj Osiris is a classmate of mine, I know he organizes that shit (or some other parties) as well. I haven't had the chance yet, but I will visit one of those parties sooner or later.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:21 PM
GforGroove
marca libre

ufff
i saw last night this kid called Flying Lotus. Is a dubstep DJ... with Wutang style That BLOWS your mind.

Is not burial of course. But he is amazing dubstep dj so listen to him.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:04 AM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

I'll def have to check 'em out...
I haven't really heard anything too exciting from the dubstep scene in a bit

I did, however hear that Burial is doing the next K7 DJ Kicks cd!

(btw - wtf happened to K7? they used to have stuff coming out all the time (and great freebie deals if you ordered from their website), like around '01/'02... and now - it seems they put all their eggs in one basket)
Old 05-03-2008, 07:09 PM
thee carp dreamer
done up like a kipper

most of it bores the fuck out of me, but i saw the bug live last year and he was amazing. really.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:42 AM
Jafs
Tells

The Bug is coming with warrior queen and others to a free festival near here at the end of june, I was planning to see that.

2562 has revealed the tracklisting from his upcoming album "Aerial" on Tectonic, june 2nd:

1. Redux
2. Morvern
3. Moog Dub
4. Channel Two
5. Techno Dread
6. Basin Dub
7. Greyscale
8. Enforcers
9. Kameleon
10. The Times