Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:33 AM
BishBash
mouseman

Re: Beaucoup Fish - 4 CD Remastered Deluxe Box Set (8/25/2017)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamagic View Post
In the middle of the Coccoluto mix, the beat drops out for a moment and you can really hear the vinyl noise quite clearly....

... apparently Underworld only have the shitty mp3 vinyl rips as well.
Maybe they used a youtube ripper on this upload (seriously, take a listen below circa 3.10 to the surface noise and compare the pops/clicks to what you've just bought. The "double click" at 3.21 Thoughts?):

Last edited by BishBash; 08-28-2017 at 04:00 AM. Reason: double click at 3.21
Old 08-28-2017, 04:56 AM
industri_studios
mouseman

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/...beaucoup-fish/

Pitchfork have reviewed the album...
Old 08-28-2017, 07:11 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishBash View Post
Maybe they used a youtube ripper on this upload (seriously, take a listen below circa 3.10 to the surface noise and compare the pops/clicks to what you've just bought. The "double click" at 3.21 Thoughts?):
Yeah, I agree. Not that YouTube specifically (it was only uploaded at the end of May, after all), but the same MP3 source for that YouTube upload, which is probably a commonly circulating MP3 of the track.

Maybe only V2 (or the original producers) has the masters of those Italian remixes, and UW don't have a copy of the Italian CD either? Several of us would've been happy to lend CD rips, though, if only they'd asked.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:07 AM
mortslaw
river

Hi all, got my boxset. Is there no download code like there was for previous reissue boxsets?
Old 08-28-2017, 10:44 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortslaw View Post
Hi all, got my boxset. Is there no download code like there was for previous reissue boxsets?
No download code. Welcome to the forums!
Old 08-28-2017, 11:06 AM
Lx_Nen
Romford no more

I got a download code in mine!
Old 08-28-2017, 11:56 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Hm, might just be the US version then that didn't get a download code.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:13 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute View Post
Am i the only one whose super deluxe box had the paper with the track listing not actually attached to the box? it was folded round it but not glued, my dubno and stiti boxes have this paper glued on them. does at least let me see the back art in the pink colour scheme without damaging the paper for it. could try to get a picture if anyone is interested enough.
yeah i noticed that, then realized that the box design on the others is covered by the glued paper, so i removed all of them, took off the glue, and placed the paper inside the box. much better.

also in the biggest fanboy moment of 2017: i took the sticker on the plastic wrap of the BF box, and attached it to the poster i got back in 1999.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:39 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by industri_studios View Post
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/...beaucoup-fish/

Pitchfork have reviewed the album...

What Sherburne touches on about Kittens is what i almost started a separate thread about (and in fact it'd be fun to have a whole thread dedicated to individual tracks in some interesting/personal perspective way), but couldn't capably condense my nebulous vibes&thoughts on it enough to justify making a whole thread.

KITTENS.

it's a bit of a awkward bastard in 2017 isn't it? it used to be a head-floating bigtime highlight for me, but in the last decade or so a bad notion started creeping up, that it might but be... extraordinarily cheeseball. and not in the "all in good fun" kind.
individually, there's nothing wrong with earnestness, big statements, escalating synths, and the hard beat, but put together in this kind of package, it's the one on beaucoup fish that feels the most dated. if it's techno, it equates to a noxious, neverending fistpump. if it's underworld, it's pretty juvenile. if it's a stadium banger, it's almost cynical? what does this track do that Cherry Pie doesn't also indulge in with better results?
maybe it just all circles back to Sherburne's off-handed diagnosis: those fucking crash cymbals.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:58 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

ok third post in a row, but ending on a positive note:

after taking the BF box in full i understand and even appreciate a little having 2 discs of remixes. something still nags at the back of my head as to why more underworld material couldn't have made it, but the remixes are a distinct part of BF as a snapshot of the band in that time. they aren't photobombing it, they're part of the ethic. if you followed them, they bring back different but related memories (i only bought the singles box set to get at "Please Help Me", but ended up listening to some of the remixes for a time).

so fine, fine.

i'm happy with the outtakes (especially nifter) and my faves from that blend nicely into my big BF playlist.