Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 10-20-2007, 12:03 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Re: The Official OWB Thread
Every playing of OWB reviews new beautiful elements. Tracks 1 - 6 are very strong, a well integrated sense. But there are a few ambient bits i could do without. Cuddle Bunny and Good Morning Cockerel don't really interest me. I wish maybe they'd have included the lyrical version of "To heal" (this short wordless version is lovely, but i miss Rick's dad!) and maybe "Always Loved a Film" or "You Do Scribble", as these were really shaping up and which would have made the album a bit more upbeat. As it is, it's a thinking-dirt's sort of electronic experience, and still very enjoyable. Something for everyone, from echoes of UWmk1 (boy,boy,boy), dancey tracks, riverrun and soundtrack-esque musicianship, and brand new sounds to love. or learn to love with replays!

Last edited by holden; 10-20-2007 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:36 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Some folks have already mentioned how "Holding the Moth" seems like an updated "Cups". I am listening to "Best Mamgu Ever" and the two-chord synth intro that continues through the track is verrrry reminiscent of "Banstyle".
Old 10-23-2007, 04:47 PM
cacophony
disquietude

^ it's like banstyle and river of bass made sweet sweet love.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:06 PM
Cadevil
exilio

Not sure if anyone posted the Resident Advisor review:
RA review

3.5 out of 5

I found the comparison to Mezzanine interesting...especially with regard to the second half of the album. Seems like the reviewer enjoyed the second half quite a bit...not sure how it didn't eek out a 4.

So I guess RA ranks the albums Dubno, STITI, OwB > BF, AHDO
Old 10-25-2007, 10:15 AM
Cadevil
exilio

My take...
[COLOR=black]I know most of these "thoughts" on the album were posted weeks ago...I reserved my judgment until I had a solid week of non-stop listening...Here goes.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]I think OwB works pretty solidly as a cohesive album. Tracks seem to flow in natural order (especially the first 3 as others have pointed out). Some great experiments in the second half of the disc. Many work quite well, few don't.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Crocodile--A great choice for the album opener. As synth upon synth arpegiates over the other, Underworld welcome us all home. A bangin' track that harkens back to some of the best UW bangers in the catalog.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Beautiful Burnout--Everyone has pretty much said all there is to say about this guy. It's been refined for many years and it's a beautiful, subdued dance track. I find it interesting that UW kept it back for so long--working and working on it until it was exactly where they wantedit to be.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Holding the Moth--I loved the Globe track from the day it appeared as a download from the Akademic concert. Great vocals/lyrics by Karl, and minimalist approach by Rick.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]To Heal--I know I'll get flamed for this, but I really don't think this track works at all. When it comes on I sort of tune out and quickly become bored. Could have benefited with just a little bit more going on.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Ring Road--Yeah, the comparisons to the Streets make sense for the first 20-30 seconds of the track, but Karl finds his flow fast after that, and this turns into one of those interesting experiments that work well. Rick's writing is great, but the entire song depends on Karl's delivery. The chorus turns this song into something very special. I think the Streets impersonation at the start is quite purposeful. A "quasi-hip hop" 8-ball.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Glam Bucket--Not quite sure how I rank this song. It certainly keeps me interested. Would love to here a clean live version with the guitar accompaniment (a la Denver). To me it's like Rowla's friendlier little brother...or a lullaby version of Rowla.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Boy, Boy, Boy--Another risk at being flamed, but I think this is a great rock song, complete with distorted guitars. Though, UW are not a traditional rock band, I think they really pulled one off here. No surprise that this is getting a single release. I can imagine the boys in Abbey Road really rocking out with this number.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Cuddle Bunny--Can't get into it. Like To Heal, I simply tune out. People have compared both of these tracks to the Riverrun...For what it's worth, I was a big fan of RR and I'm not a big fan of either of these.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Faxed Invitation--The start of this track turns me off, but I like it more as it goes on. Could have benefited from further development, but a good start to the "epic" & melancholic OwB finale suite[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Good Morning Cockerel--Wow...The piano and lyrical delivery of this track make the hair on my arm stand up. Ranks up there with some of the best down-tempo stuff UW have ever released. Akin to Most 'Ospitable, Tongue, Born Slippy '03 down mix.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Best Mamgu Ever--Dark and eerie blend of cut-up lyrics and piano at the start. Like someone smashed together Ancient Phat Farm Coat and a diced up slowed down version of Cowgirl. A good experimental piece that again arrests my thoughts.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]I think OwB is a great offering by the boys. It sounds VERY dark to me (I've always liked the darker, dirtier side of UW more). The brightest spot here is Ring Road (even that has a touch of melancholy). The "bangers" are a bit absent as compared to past albums, which I can see would bother some fans...but it doesn't bother me one bit. Sadly, I don't know if OwB will attract many new fans because it doesn't have a commercial side to it. But it's a fantastic treat for those who appreciate the "full album" massiveness of an Underworld treatise.[/COLOR]
Old 10-29-2007, 08:11 AM
negative1

_vinyl_versions_
i ordered the vinyl version of 'oblivion with bells',
and 'one hundred days off'...

has anyone listened to these on vinyl yet?
(compared to the cds)...

maybe my hearing isnt' the best..but i wonder
if there are any subtle differences in the masterings?

OT: here's an interesting article on the rise of vinyl
http://www.wired.com/entertainment/m...eningpost_1029

later
Old 10-31-2007, 05:10 PM
Mort
UW0592

Send a message via MSN to Mort
Finally got word that my order from the australian supplier of the pre-order has been sent. Seems JB-hifi lost the whole batch of pre-orders and had to reorder stock.

Will be good to finally get a chance to listen to it . I've been good and kept away from downloading it.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:30 AM
negative1

ok, i finally got the vinyl version,
should be listening to it soon..

wonder if there are any noticeable differences..

i like the double gatefold packaging...
and the sleeves also have pictures on them too..nice touch..

the graphics are remixed from the cd booklet..

the vinyl etchings dont say much:
paradigm 1/2 speed process
(m) image

or something like that....

later
Old 11-09-2007, 05:07 PM
Rog
the fuckest upest

at the end of the day, i,ve come home from pub/club and listened to STITI or dubno for years but in the last few weeks i,ve been coming home to OWB and crocodiles, bb, boyx3, faxed invitation and best mamgu are to fuckin die for. OWB ranks as almost, if not the best, EVER........its emotional
Old 11-14-2007, 07:46 PM
Postal
river

Chiming in a bit late here, but I definitely like the album. To me, the "Crocodile" / "Beautiful Burnout" segment is one of the best Underworld has ever done because it flows so effortlessly and encapsulates everything the group is about. It's driving electronic music that works in a club but with ambient synths that add a reflective quality to the whole affair.

I will say that it gets a bit awkward in the middle ("Ring Road" is almost too conventional in its lyrics for me), but the group is definitely taking welcome chances and defines Oblivion more clearly than it did with Hundred Days Off.

Now, where's my Canadian tour date? Preferably in Ottawa or Montreal.