Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > moments.

Old 03-17-2017, 06:09 PM
amhilde
mouseman

Re: 2017-03-17 Alexandra Palace
Wow - that was a doozy of a show!

I was up on the rail just about in front of Karl and they seemed really up for it. Loved the setlist tweaks compared to last year - no sag in the middle but still played some good slow-ish songs in there. New lighting rig descending scared the living crap out of me at first but the lighting was really decent, much more so than last year.

I was chatting with some friends up front and folks around us and wasn't focusing too much on Rick's set, but Other Half got a good photo of him at the console. I thought the overall idea was really good, though some more dancy tunes would have been great, especially the closer they got to show time!

Someone near me was saying that the Utrecht shows were a warm up for this one, but that seems like a lot of effort for one gig. If thats true then it really paid off because it was pretty epic.

BTW - where was Pricey?

Last edited by amhilde; 03-17-2017 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:16 PM
Dirty Saint
mouseman

Kittens ...just wow
Old 03-17-2017, 06:33 PM
markreed
mouseman

That was the best UW gig I've seen since the 2000 Summer Tour - possibly ever.

Rick played an 80 minute instrumental set from a console in the mixing desk : the console was surrounded on all sides by projection screens of live footage and Tomato art including film of Karl painting. Most of the instrumental set was 'new', with some soundtrack stuff, 2-3 songs with female vocalists (similar to the vocal track on the Trance soundtrack), 3-4 new Lemonworld-style jams with Karl vox, a weird ambient version of Bamboo, something off Riverrun, and ending with an instrumental of "Downpipe."

Gig itself was great. Audience and atmosphere was very fervent.

I'll post a link to some pics tomorrow - it's 1.30am!
Old 03-17-2017, 07:06 PM
Jram
river

Quote:
Originally Posted by amhilde View Post
Someone near me was saying that the Utrecht shows were a warm up for this one, but that seems like a lot of effort for one gig. If thats true then it really paid off because it was pretty epic.
Warming up would make sense if this gig is to be released on DVD. Those dancers won't be cheap either - lots of effort for one gig, unless it's the one you plan for everybody to see...
Old 03-18-2017, 01:07 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
BTW - where was Pricey?
Darren hasn't been on stage since the end of the US tour last year.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:09 AM
amhilde
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jram View Post
Warming up would make sense if this gig is to be released on DVD. Those dancers won't be cheap either - lots of effort for one gig, unless it's the one you plan for everybody to see...
Was wondering about the cameras (they came by us multiple times) as some were the fancy ones that rotate on an axis to hold the shot stable (a steadycam then I guess) and there were more than the usual amount. And the dancers. And the expensive lighting/lasers. And the extra masses of equipment at the mixing desk.

I do hope that they put the Rick mix on there too because I would really liked to have sat down with that on some good headphones and blissed out rather than try to listen in the middle of a crowd.

All in all a really wonderful show and I am very happy that we went. There was a couple from Nova Scotia behind me and this was her first show, having been a fan for 20 some years. She burst into tears after the first song and I'm not sure she stopped, but I was very happy for her to have had that as her first UW experience. Definitely one of the better UW crowds Ive been in.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:56 AM
Jram
river

Quote:
There was a couple from Nova Scotia behind me and this was her first show, having been a fan for 20 some years. She burst into tears after the first song and I'm not sure she stopped, but I was very happy for her to have had that as her first UW experience. Definitely one of the better UW crowds Ive been in.
When the lights went down did she scream "Oh my God, we're actually here!"? If so, I was right beside you. I was definitely next to darktrain.jp as I've since realised.

The number and type of cameras, and the shots they were taking, they got a lot of crowd cover as well as the band from all angles (each filming a bit of everything, standard in case one malfunctions). Filming Rick's empty desk before the start, filming along the front row, filming the crowd leaving at the end - my money is on a DVD.

I got one of the camera guys, at the very end, to film my UW-inspired half-sleeve tattoo. He confirmed, as I knew, that only he was broadcasting the live feed to the video screens - the other cameras were recording. He gave nothing away, and I didn't ask because he's a professional and I wouldn't expect him to.
He did, however, smile and deny nothing.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:00 AM
markreed
mouseman

Here's some photos from last night.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mark-r...57681447106766
Old 03-18-2017, 05:18 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Nice pics. Gives a good feel for the venue and show, thanks.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:06 AM
amhilde
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jram View Post
When the lights went down did she scream "Oh my God, we're actually here!"? If so, I was right beside you. I was definitely next to darktrain.jp as I've since realised.
That was her for sure! And yeah, I know darktrain.jp and the guy to his left from either Roundhouse or Berlin last year, though the other Japanese guy up front was new having come over from the US for this.