Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > technique.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:45 PM
happiness stan
mouseman

Re: ireland robbed by evil 'enry...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Did I mention I was at the game!? Wooohoooo!!!
Nice, congratulations!
Yes, more than likely you will get spanked...sorry, but it's still the next step regardless.
One decent game in the group stage can raise the profile of the sport and hopefully convince a few kids to forget the egg-chasing.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:49 PM
happiness stan
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by happiness stan View Post
Nice, congratulations!
Yes, more than likely you will get spanked...sorry, but it's still the next step regardless.
One decent game in the group stage can raise the profile of the sport and hopefully convince a few kids to forget the egg-chasing.
As for Roy, that looks a bit daft doesn't it?
Massive game for Ipswich on tv later, is he taking the spotlight off his team?

God knows, he wants to let the FAI thing drop, he does have a point about the defending though, McShane just isn't good enough, nice thinly veiled pop at Given too...I think it's actually against the law to say anything negative about Shay here.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:52 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

i love when shit like this happens

getting mad online when your team gets robbed only makes it funnier to people who are vastly indifferent to the sport.
at first it was amusing but the lols are paying off in dividends from this fallout
Old 11-21-2009, 01:35 AM
jole
aceontheriver

Only reason why so much attention has been given to this thing is because of the importance of the match. To be honest every football match i watch has a few cardinal ref mistakes that directly influence the final outcome, wherther its wrong offside call, or simulation of penalty or unfair play foul that doesent get redcarded...., and i ve used to it, i see it as normal thing that in a way gives charm to the game. Afterall some of the most memorable things i remember came from those kinda controversial ref mistakes. Even tho i should be against it since i m from small country whos clubs got robbed as hell in more than few occasions (just pick a sport), i am not, i like that kinda refereing. However my problem is that those ref mistakes often dont seem accidents because rarely u ll see a ref helps a team like Ireland or some other unattractive team when they play vs France or some other over rated team that just has to be a part of WC.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:11 PM
chuck
i'm getting older too

Send a message via ICQ to chuck Send a message via AIM to chuck
Jole.

I guess we all know that "this kind of thing happens all the time" - but that's not really the point is it?

Cheating is cheating - just because the ref missed it doesn't absolve Henry of breaking the rules.

Sport works because we all (somewhat naively some might say) assume that it's a level playing field - and that everyone has a fair crack at winning, because they play by the rules. Especially with football - I mean, it's always said, all you need is a round ball and some space - and you've got a game.

We know it's not fair - talent, facilities, competitions, training aren't spread fairly across the planet - and Brazil seem blessed with some unnaturally gifted footballers - but we expect and assume that everyone will play by the rules. And there's been a fair share of upsets in the game.

If the technology to prevent that cheating - or to allow the refs to see what they miss is available, then why isn't FIFA allowing its use? FIFA's own slogan is "Fair Play" - but they're constantly shooting themselves in the foot - and IMO it's bullshit to say "That's sport." when a mistake like this happens.

- S. Colbert
Old 11-22-2009, 01:36 AM
jole
aceontheriver

As i understood the situation Henry never said he hand played on purpose therefore i dont think he was cheating , it was a refs mistake not to call it.
I agree with you about using tehnology in order to make refs decisions more correct but only in cases of offside and goal line, the rest can be left for the ref to judge based on hes criteria and way of seeing the game, but it would be important that hes decisions and criterias maintain consistent for both teams. People always liked that ref Colina cause he never favorised any team and even if he did make a mistake it didnt influence the rest of hes callings.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:07 AM
chuck
i'm getting older too

Send a message via ICQ to chuck Send a message via AIM to chuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by jole View Post
As i understood the situation Henry never said he hand played on purpose therefore i dont think he was cheating , it was a refs mistake not to call it.
Mate. Have you seen the footage?

Henry could claim he was conducting Susan Boyle, Pavarotti, and Jacqueline Du Pres in an all-star celebrity 'Stars in their Eyes' - and he'd still have been cheating.

It doesn't matter what he says - he handled the ball (twice) with his hand. First time was possibly instinctive - the second he controls the ball.

That's against the rules - therefore it's cheating.

The ref missed it - therefore it's not cheating? Yeah right.

- S. Colbert
Old 11-23-2009, 08:51 PM
IsiliRunite
de la Michigan

Send a message via AIM to IsiliRunite
This isn't "hand of God" bad, because of Henry's admission, but why are there not enough Ref's to see this things?

I think Henry hit the ball initially on instinct, then tried to keep the play alive. Isn't that what you're supposed to do? I'm sure he thought the goal would be struck down by the time the ball left his foot.