Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > treatment.

Old 03-19-2006, 07:05 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Re: V for Vendetta
Quote:
Originally Posted by gambit
Granted the love bit was in the book and the hordes of people in V masks in the movie was cool, I would've liked to seen Evy turn into V and let the idea persist past the body.
i'm going to be not-so-daring and say i wasn't a terrible fan of the book. even though the movie remained pretty faithful to it, i didnt get the juvenile teenage fantasy fullfillment blah-ness that the book gave me, so bonus points to that. i was pretty glad evy didnt pick up the mask in the end, because by then everyone was V, weren't they? when you already have the citizenry behind you, the buck doesn't really need to be passed.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:51 PM
gambit
magic city writer

In the book, the citizenry didn't all turn into V at the end, nor do I recall that citizenry was at all behind V, so the extension of V via Evey was, imo, great. And I would be hard pressed to call anything Alan Moore has written (and I have read a lot of that man's work) as "juvenile teenage fantasy fulfillment." I think you're confusing that with the mainstream superhero comic book world.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:12 PM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

eerrr, don't want to spoil the show for anyone, but I'm really not giving anything away.

V's line containing "idea" struck me wrong, it's delivery just came across a bit cheese corn. Trivial I know, but I annoyingly giggled when I heard it.

I do feel the film succeeded most by it's subtle message that needs to be heard. I'm convinced Katrina has bought me some time.

Finally, were I in the director's chair, ending credits would have been scored to Gabriel's "Fourteen Black Paintings".
Old 03-20-2006, 03:07 AM
myrrh
a small-minded madman

I never read the books. I saw this on Imax over the weekend. I liked it, but was mad the she didn't become V at the end because the story seemed to make it seem like she would. Both me and the person I saw this with thought she was going to become V at the end.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:13 AM
Kennrr
mouseman

Re: V for Vendetta *spoilers*
i never read the book, but i don't know why evy should become V? I mean V spent all this time planning and doing things to make a change in society and the govt, he did that in the end. He had moved the people, so the point of having evy being V isn't really necessary. I thought the whole point of V is that him as an ideal or whatever become everyone, not just one particular character? the mask was just a mask

I really liked Natalie Portman's performance, in star wars i'm just left dumbstrucked by her wooden acting, but i dig this even w/ the fake british accent.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:39 AM
myrrh
a small-minded madman

I thought she was going to become V because V put her through all the same stuff he went through. Then when she was on the roof with her arms in the air, the flashed between him come out of the fire and screaming just like she was.

I dunno, I just felt like the whole thing was setting her up to become V.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:22 AM
gambit
magic city writer

First off, my apologies if I've spoiled some parts about the movie to anyone. Didn't really cross my mind when I made my posts.

Next, yeah Evey was turned into the V in the book because that's how V was training her. The movie strayed away from the book when V started sending out masks and costumes to everyone, and personally, I found that premise to be rather unlikely. Sure, he may've changed some minds in London, but I'm sure most people would still be scared to move on their own, and to have that many people stream through the streets of London at the same time seems unlikely to me. Now when I look back through the book, the movie took many liberties with the plot. For instance, there was never a sense of a revolt in the book, so a changing of the guard, so to speak, makes perfect sense. Also it helps show that the idea lives on past the body, which was something V in the movie said ("Ideas are bulletproof"). V was the person in the mask, wig, and cape, not the person.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:56 PM
GforGroove
marca libre

i supposed that this is one of this movies that you should read the story to like it and understand it and don't go out like "whatever" of this film.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:32 AM
Malt Refund
croatoa

Right, go read it yo.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:24 AM
grady
fac321

Or you could pick up the book intending to read it before seeing the film and just go see the film first anyways on a whim like I ended up doing.

I really did want to read the book before the film because this seemed to be an example of a complex, detailed story is produced by a major Hollywood studio and the end product is heavily diluted to the point where it bears little to no resemblance of the original piece/story.

Despite not reading the book prior to the film I enjoyed it quite a bit. I was a bit concerned about the Wachowski factor but didn't seem to notice it much. I guess it came from their names being splashed all over the film as the author's of the screenplay and producers as well as it being directed by their First A.D. on the Matrix films, James McTeigue.

(Spoiler bits ahead for those who haven't seen the film)

There were a couple points in the film where I found myself chuckle a bit at the abusurdity of what was happening. The most blatant scene was the use of quick cross cutting when V takes Evey up to the roof of the building after he's 'freed' her from prison.

With rain pouring Evey steps out onto the roof raising her arms in the ever popular christ-like film pose of one's arm extended outward and upward to the sky looking up as the character's eyes usually are closed and the camera is perched up high looking down on the character. (For reference points see The Shawshank Redemption, Plesantville, Forrest Gump etc. etc.) At this point there are some quick cuts to V's freedom from his own imprisonment that felt jarring and laughable. It seemed to be pretty fucking obvious what was going on in the scene as a sort of duality to V's scene.

But, I can imagine there are people out there who might not have been able to make this connection or see it. Did anyone else have this same feeling of laughter at the editing during this scene? I should PM b.miller to see if this was in the cut of the film he saw last December or whether he was sleeping during this scene.(just joking around brian, after a day of films, I'd probably fall asleep too ) I'd imagine the scene was probably already there as the film was pretty much set for it's November 5th release date.

Regarding the discussion Evey becoming V, I like how the film left it. I really liked the idea of V using an old, more or less forgotten holiday as a pulpit for his attack as well as the foundation for some of his belief/idelogy. As I'm not british and don't live in the UK I don't know if this holiday is as I described it, but the sense I got from the little bit in the film was that it is one of those older holidays that pop up every year yet you still don't entirely know the explanation for why said day is a holiday.

As the book ended with Evey carrying on V's work I'm even more curious now to get into the book and see how it all plays out. I do like the idea of V passing things onto Evey but I also really like how the film played it out, as his work throughout the past year was revenge for himself, but also served as a wake up call to the English society to pay attention to what has been occurring in their country in the past 10-20 years.