Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:37 PM
Future Proof
Richard Simmons

Re: Rez (Bassnectar Remix) - Feb. 12, 2013
I found this to be a gorgeous redux of the original, but I'm also a pretty rabid fan of all of Lorin's work. I feel that Lorin sometimes gets a bad rap, getting thrown into the Dubstep category (a genre that I personally enjoy but, as evidenced by Vacant's response is a fairly hotly contested genre) because Lorin I feel is much more than a simple "wub-wub" artist. He has a flair for beautiful, shimmery soundscapes with a positivity and energy that hasn't been as often prevalent as, well, when Underworld were originally the talk of the town. When people talk about the energy and optimism of the early 90's rave scene, they're talking about Lorin's energy, and god knows we need that these days. But anyways...

It's been 2 years since I last posted. I think it speaks well to UW's legacy, I first visited Scott Warner's original site in 1996, stayed with the site for years and even though my UW obsession has cooled that even today's artists are drawn in and captivated by Underworld's catalog. Respect.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:15 AM
//\/\/
slogging it out

Rez - do a simple thing brilliantly - repeat it.

This is just candy-floss for idiots. You want homage? High Contrast - respectful enough not to over-tinker.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:52 PM
Andrea
light at heart

such a strong word for music lovers
other than looping without name in the middle of nowhere
year after year
Old 01-17-2013, 02:12 PM
jetpig
LoveyouLoveyouLoveyou

I didn't mean this to end up as a wall of text...

Future Proof: I was with you for a LONG time. I used to dig the SHIT out of lorin's music. He used to be all bout social commentary and soundscapes and awesomeness with a bassy throb. Cozza Frenzy was the last album of his I could listen to. He used to regularly sample famous speakers (from Noam Freaking Chomsky about our current society to Bill O'Rielly about net neutrality) and use lyrics to push awareness of issues (not necessarily a position) going on around us. Not since Underground Communication in 2009 has that happened. I used to listen to his albums as full things, ala STITI or something, and in fact that's where I really learned to take in a full album as a piece.

As for live I've seen him 4 times, and the last two shows weren't particularly fantastic. the two shows i saw in '10 (Seattle, Showbox Sodo and Coachella) were awesome. A journey from start to finish, he was in the groove, having a blast. they were sets where i was thanking my neighbors for experiencing it with me, fresh new material that flowed and grooved together, damn near spiritual. His 2011 show in seattle at the paramount was less fantastic. He was still energetic, and I still had a lot of fun, but there were a few tracks that fell flat on me, were just more noise containing predictable buildups and, thus, unexciting drops.

2012 was atrocious. His basscenter 6 at the wamu in seattle put me off live music for 9 months. His set felt phoned in, and I had two different people try and pick fights with me. One was a 16 year old girl who wanted to edge her way in front of me (I was 3 people back) 90 minutes into his set. When I said no she tried to swing at me and would later put gum in my water cup.... Another creepy guy tried to punch me when I gave the girls he was creeping on an escape route... Needless to say i was very dissapointed in his set, and the crowd and vibe he is attracting as of late.

I really hope bassnectar (and his fans!) come back around. I think his rediculous amount of touring (while well-intentioned, and I love the love he has for his fans) has left him with a flawed view of how his music should sound (edit: from a mixing standpoint. For example, why fade something to back when you can't hear it live anyways? because it gives it more detail and nuance!).

Sorry for the length of my rambling. I'm still pretty bummed by his change over the years.

Last edited by jetpig; 01-17-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:17 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

It looks like the Extended Remix is no more, and the only different version coming out is a Radio Edit for Japan, according to Om Records.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:30 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
i'm sure it's tempting, but when will people learn that "Cowgirl", "Rez", and "Born Slippy" are not to be remixed, reimagined, remade, revisited....?

Leave perfection alone! I think that in the 20 years or so that i've dug electronic music, maybe 5% of remixes are interesting takes on the original. Bless the producers for trying, but really, who cares if you try to put your stamp on an anthem or butcher a new track? Produce something new and exciting! jmtc.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:00 PM
Future Proof
Richard Simmons

Holden: Not to argue with you, I don't think I really expected anyone to like the track over here on UW's site. Now of course, everyone's going ecstatic over on Bassnectar's side, but could you blame them? Bassnectar belongs to those people, not the Dirty folk. And vice versa, of course.

That said, Bassnectar is one of the most prolific artists in music right now. Last year he brought out an album, 2 EPs, two long (and free!) continuous mixes which were AWESOME, and STILL TOURED 250 days out of the year. I thought that was worth mentioning, figuring that when you quipped "go write something original!" That my first thought was to give it three months and see what he brought out next.

JetPig: I'm sorry that you've had bad Bassnectar experiences as of late. I won't apologize for him, he definitely seems to have gone into autopilot with his shows and it's really sad. Then again, pretty much all EDM acts are bogus in a "live" setting, as astutely pointed out a few months ago by Deadmau5. Even Rick and Karl, after Emerson left seemed to really rein in the dynamics of their set, and I can't begin to express how disappointing it was to watch them live on the AHDO tour, after hearing all of the bootlegs and et cetera. I have no idea how Price has changed any of that, by the way... But long story short, I think I just got to the point where I don't expect much from a EDM show, unless there's a full touring band with the person.

But an observation that I've made, I think that Lorin's getting sick of his fans as well. I follow him on Facebook, and all through the year last year he was getting into public squabbles with various fans over various political things. People have been telling him that he needs to stick to music and not preaching his own views, which as you've noted is absolutely not what Lorin is about. And the reality is this-Dubstep is full of a bunch of moronic, idiotic people right now. They're all a bunch of late adopters to a genre that has been around for a decade, and will be gone in a year. It's kind of like punk, punk is great except for the fans.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:42 PM
chems1919
mouseman

I really don't understand the popularity in the dubstep scene. Like some others have said here, it just sounds like a bunch of noise to me. And that's coming from a guy that loves some really weird music like Planningtorock and The Knife.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:27 PM
jetpig
LoveyouLoveyouLoveyou

UW still did a bit of improvising up until very recently (maybe not as much as in the 90s, but still). 2010 was a VERY static set, but I suspect that's because rick was singing as well and wanted to leave a lot of structure. I wasn't around to be able to comment on the AHDO tour... i'm rather new here, but from what i've listened to, I suspect they were trying to find their feet in that time. I follow lorin pretty closely still, hoping he swings things in a new direction and I've seen the squabbles you mention and I think you are spot on with your assessment about the fans. People telling him to stay out of politics and stick to the music when he's had a political awareness message from the get go.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:30 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
i'm sure it's tempting, but when will people learn that "Cowgirl", "Rez", and "Born Slippy" are not to be remixed, reimagined, remade, revisited....?
But then we would never have had the High Contrast remix of Rez.