Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 12:33 PM
Malt Refund
croatoa

Changing track titles..
Going from Bang the Poll, to Electronic Part 1, to JAL to Tokyo.. I wonder why track names are always in flux. Karl said in the interview that he named it JAL to Tokyo because he wrote it on that flight.. so that had to be its original name, no? Maybe the old names were code names for works in progress. Maybe its to thwart internet piracy.. or we could probably chalk it up to saying Underworld doenst care about track titles (ie - Second Toughest track titles named after race dogs). It's interesting. Is there a difference between Dark Train and New Train?
Old 11-10-2005, 12:39 PM
potatobroth
bungalow

Re: Changing track titles..
and between New Train and NuTrain
Old 11-10-2005, 12:47 PM
Malt Refund
croatoa

Well "nutrain" was the filename.. like "shake'thigher".. on the site it says the titles are "New Train" and "Shake That Higher". It must be for piracy reasons, I can't think of any other reason to title them like that. It's a good idea since they are strickly releasing stuff on the internet now piracy becomes a greater concern. But the question remains, how did Dark Train become New Train? Are there subtle changes that I am not aware of and will we see all our favorite tracks become retitled in time? Mull over that.

Last edited by Malt Refund; 11-11-2005 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:25 PM
lloyd
bungalow

Perhaps the title of the lyrics or diary entery was JAL to Tokyo and the beats had a different project name, and again another name for the synthloops...
Just an idea.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:08 AM
noisegeek
Sweet in Winter

My guess: the titles are an after-thought. They make the music, then just come up with something to refer to it as so they can avoid the inevitable "you know, that one with the 'sskrewa-chaunka-twang' guitar sound and the glitchy bit at the end" conversations.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:31 AM
mmm skyscraper
fac123

"JAL to Tokyo" is referenced on August 31, 2005:

http://www.protonradio.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7025

so it could be the original title. This changed to Bang the Poll on the radio1 tracklisting. Electronic Part 1 is probably just Tong's name for the first part of "Lovely Broken Thing".

"Bang the Poll" and "JAL to Tokyo" have the same lyrics (with JTT adding some), but different musical parts, so maybe they are two different songs that share similar parts?

also remember Always Loved a Film is now a work in progress called Silver Boots.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:54 AM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

Tongy had, as far as i can tell from the R1 broadcast a white label of 'lovely broken thing' - at the time i assume it didn't have a title, and he played the first part of it (what we know as JAL or Bang the Poll), because he said it was part of a 25 minute piece of music....i assume he looked at the vinyl saw it had five parts and called it 'electronic part 1'...just as a ref point (or UW did) either way we knew what it was....

its most likely to have started out as JAL....but changed to bang the poll, but is looking liklely being called JAL again....ho hum...

anyway its not the first time...

'stack my fridge up' anyone?
Old 11-11-2005, 01:25 PM
undarrenworld
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malt Refund
Underworld doenst care about track titles (ie - Second Toughest track titles named after race dogs).
Please tell me more about that, I never knew that.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:21 PM
hippy dave
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by big screen satellite
'stack my fridge up' anyone?
my mate returned from seeing the prodigy back in the day and told us about this new song called "slap my teacher"...
Old 11-14-2005, 07:10 AM
mmm skyscraper
fac123

Quote:
Originally Posted by undarrenworld
Please tell me more about that, I never knew that.
born slippy
sappy's curry
pearl's girl

were all racing dogs, Wre there any more?

In the recent interview with Tong, Karl says something about not going to dog races any more in regard to the track titles.