Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:42 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Re: High Life - Eno/Hyde new NEW record
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickstafa View Post
I didn't realize when I ordered the CD that it is missing tracks on the digital/vinyl versions. Is there any way to get said tracks??
You can buy "Slow Down" individually from any number of digital retailers, like iTunes.

"On a Grey Day" is vinyl only, so the only way to get it is to purchase the vinyl, which isn't even out until the end of next month.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:05 PM
saintrik
temperature drops

Slow Down, Sit Down and Breathe is also included on the Japanese CD version.

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist_Brian...h-Life_5787567
Old 07-09-2014, 02:15 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Eno and Hyde interview on BBC 6 Music. Starts at 1:38:00:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b048s2cn
Old 07-09-2014, 03:44 PM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

you know... i have to say... it's remarkable how much more I like this "album" in comparison to "Someday World"

...especially considering this album is the result of an in-studio jam

(and how the first album just sounded like a group of demo's)
Old 07-14-2014, 02:54 PM
Dunwho
Big Time

Really enjoying this album since it came out. Yea I think I like it more than Someday world, but i think mainly that is because it is more experimental (sonicly) and rhythm based.. keeps me more interested. I find someday world to fall into that same head space as Edgeland.. with the songs sort of fading into a blur - no hook... nothing grabbing my attention... really good.. but no one thing pulling me in.

High Life, I like though.. a lot. In the same way i like Bungalow with Stairs.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:19 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Okay, so: I liked Edgeland for its earnestness and melodies. I disliked Someday World for its half- baked retro. Really wanted to like High Life, but...

Who here is a musician or producer? If yes, you probably realize pretty quickly what Karl and BE are up to. Pure jamming. Listen, I'm a bad guitarist, I'll admit, but I've always had this suspicion about Karl that he is interested in textures and hooks but not really very technically astute. While UW tunes may not require much more, really listen to his guitar motifs... Simple chord strums or several note solos that, in the live recordings, often include some bum notes. Now that's fine...Karl's a talented musician and it must be demanding to improvize especially given the minimal role of guitars in most UW tracks.
However, getting back to High Life, the "experimental" nature and rhythmic base is pretty weak. IMHO. A few licks by any guitarist would have given Eno
enough material to loop and cut up as he has done here. A few ideas are interesting, but get looped for many minutes. Counterpoint is fine but I get the sense as a very novice producer that this was generated from a single live jam. A s I said about Someday World, not every track needs to be released. A shame because I hoped they'd have some quality control after all this time. Listening to High Life, I oscillate between being annoyed with the repetition and numbed by it. Either way, it could be so much more. Thoughts?

Last edited by holden; 07-20-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:34 AM
Nico4
river

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintrik View Post
Slow Down, Sit Down and Breathe is also included on the Japanese CD version.

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist_Brian...h-Life_5787567
Of course it was...
Old 08-01-2014, 11:07 AM
Andrea
light at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
Okay, so: I liked Edgeland for its earnestness and melodies. I disliked Someday World for its half- baked retro. Really wanted to like High Life, but...

Who here is a musician or producer? If yes, you probably realize pretty quickly what Karl and BE are up to. Pure jamming. Listen, I'm a bad guitarist, I'll admit, but I've always had this suspicion about Karl that he is interested in textures and hooks but not really very technically astute. While UW tunes may not require much more, really listen to his guitar motifs... Simple chord strums or several note solos that, in the live recordings, often include some bum notes. Now that's fine...Karl's a talented musician and it must be demanding to improvize especially given the minimal role of guitars in most UW tracks.
However, getting back to High Life, the "experimental" nature and rhythmic base is pretty weak. IMHO. A few licks by any guitarist would have given Eno
enough material to loop and cut up as he has done here. A few ideas are interesting, but get looped for many minutes. Counterpoint is fine but I get the sense as a very novice producer that this was generated from a single live jam. A s I said about Someday World, not every track needs to be released. A shame because I hoped they'd have some quality control after all this time. Listening to High Life, I oscillate between being annoyed with the repetition and numbed by it. Either way, it could be so much more. Thoughts?
Neither a musician or producer and I play no instruments at all but even I get that feeling sometimes that Karl can but hates to play "technically right". I mean I think he can play whatever he wants to but it takes a great exertion for him to go all the way so to speak (...tempting fate now? )

However, I love those new distorted guitar sounds that they made on the last albums.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:52 AM
Nico4
river

Well, I enjoyed this a lot more than Someday World, that's for sure. Despite being very droneish, it does feel like there's a lot going on in the background. It's certainly more interesting, and creative, than Someday World ever was.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:11 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

There was an extensive piece on Eno and Hyde and High Life in the New Yorker:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...ambient-genius