Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:05 AM
lemonjelly
mouseman

beaucoup fish promo mix & interview cd
There's a promo cd for the beaucoup fish album which is a 2cd - an emerson mix & an interview with karl disc.

Is it worth having/hearing?

Tracklisting is as follows I believe:

Underworld - minneapolis
bjork - human behaviour (underworld mix)
underworld - mmm skyscraper
lemon interupt - dirty
shakespeares sister - black sky (underworld mix)
underworld - rez
sven vath - harlequin (underworld mix)
underworld - kittens
underworld - king of snake
underworld - tongue
Old 01-30-2012, 05:42 AM
undarrenworld
bungalow

Re: beaucoup fish promo mix & interview cd
Yes its worth having, its interview with the whole band as I remember correctly. They all talk - Karl, Rick and Darren. Its nice to hear them all talking about Beaucoup Fish. I have the cd many years. Also Darren Emerson mix is great.
My advice is to buy it.
You know there is another interview with Karl about Everything Everything era... this interview could be also great, I dont have it, but I wish.
Cheers.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:44 AM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

well - I've seen it go for silly money

but I managed to find a copy for not too much (I honestly forget how much I paid, but certainly not as much as what you'd see on like... eil.com)

the mix itself... well - apparently, Darren did it in a rush - and it shows. Some tracks kinda just ram into each other, if I remember correctly (my copy is sitting in storage back in the US, and I didn't bother ripping it to my computer)... although, I guess it's not that bad - I think the 'issues' with it, are more b/c of the wide range of bpm's

so don't expect it to be nearly as good as any of the radio shows or other promo mixes

(edit)
but yea - it's a "nice thing to have"
Old 01-30-2012, 03:30 PM
khouri
khondo dweller

It's a cool little package and the interview is very good. The mix CD is simply the listed tracks segued into one another in sequence with standard beatmatching, nothing fancy like you might expect. The most notable thing is that the original version of Rez is sped up by a considerable percentage.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:46 PM
dubnobasswithme
koob!

Picked this up from ebay back in the day and I still put on that mix every now and again. The first half has some nice long crossfades from one track to the next, so that makes for some good listening : )

If I recall correctly, you don't actually hear the audio from the interviewer for the interview disc. It was meant to be sent to radio stations so that the DJs could ask the questions themselves and then play the band's response. You could have some fun with that angle of it.

uw0006
Old 01-31-2012, 07:20 AM
testudo
JunkiesCriminalsFugitives

Location: The international territory and the mighty infamous
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubnobasswithme View Post
If I recall correctly, you don't actually hear the audio from the interviewer for the interview disc. It was meant to be sent to radio stations so that the DJs could ask the questions themselves and then play the band's response. You could have some fun with that angle of it.
Yeah this was a marketing trick from the 90s. I think the idea came around when a lot of musicians were complaining that all interviewers ask the same questions. I have one from The Verve (Urban Hymns era). My friend and I made up absurd questions that sort of fit the answers... tons of fun.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:35 AM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

that 'marketing trick' goes back a lot further than the 90s.

the mix has loads of great tracks but as joethelion says, it's so poorly mixed that it doesn't really lend itself to repeat plays.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:54 AM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

ok good...

after seeing other people's overly positive comments about it - I started to wonder if I was remembering something completely different.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:19 PM
stimpee
Administrator

Its easy to sum up:
Great interview
Great songs
Shit mixing
Old 02-29-2012, 01:47 PM
pandamagic
river

the mix, as everyone has said, is a bit sloppy, and the sound quality of the first two tracks are piss poor, with the sibilance distortion on bjork's vocals borderline unlistenable. also - barely any of "tongue" is included, just a few scant seconds before a unceremonious fade-out, so it's confusing why it's even there at all. but the sven vath remix sounds amazing in this context - i almost didn't recognize it at first. and the shakespeare's sister mix is one of the best things they've ever done.

the whole package is good to own but i'm glad i didn't spend too much money on it . . .