Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:48 AM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

Moby's New album
Anyone looking forward to this release?

Honestly... I might actually buy this one*

I really dug "Be The One" and the other two tracks off that free EP weren't bad either...

Although - there seem to be multiple versions of this album (again)
and I can't figure out what's the difference between two of them...

There's the "Limited Edition Version"

Then there's the "Hardcover Version"

I understand that the album's going to come with a book of his photography... so I'm guessing that the 'hardcover' is a hardcover book of the photo's... but there isn't exclusive music on that release is there?

*Ok, that's actually a misleading comment - I've bought all of his albums since the "good old days" -> but, I only bought the last one basically "on accident" -> as I did an iTunes pre-order on a whim, then I forgot about it... and didn't cancel the purchase before it automatically downloaded when it was released. Although - I never did buy the "Deluxe Re-Release version with the "Ambient Version" of the album... nor did I buy that "Remix Version of the Album" that came out later.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:10 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Re: Moby's New album
Also hoping for the best from "Destroyed". I have the "Be the One" EP, and it seems promising, though not much beyond that. I haven't, truth be told, been excited and looking forward to a new Moby release for a long time.

Holden's Moby Experience History:

1996: Bought 1992's "Moby" (Instinctive) LP on a whim and a good write-up in a record review book. Sounded like the kind of stuff i was trying, failing to make in the bedrooom on Casios. Hooked.

1998: bought "Everything is Wrong". Genres collide and conspire in a seemingly original way. When i listen now, half seems fresh, half seems forced. Never mind the "Animal Rights" follow up.

1999/2000: hooked onto "Play" like everyone else. Took a few listens. Actually preferred many of the "Honey/Run On" remixes to the LP cuts. Still dig "Porcelain" and "Machete". But honestly, there are a lot of lightweight tracks on this, especially in the second half of the disc.

2001/02: oh yeah, i was awaiting "18". Slightly disappointed with the Lp, although it's not far off from "Play" in substance. Saw Moby on the tour. Great show, but really, the back catalog, energetic cuts beat the heck out of the new songs.

2005 or 06 (i forget) when did "Hotel" come out? Totally "meh".

Somewhere in there i bought "early underground" and "ambient". A+!
Also in there, bought "Baby Monkey" - really? This was like looping your first loops, Charlie Brown.

2008: "Last Night" - hoping, hoping, hoping for a return to Underground Dance Music. Sadly, although a few catchy numbers and towards the end, a few vintage Mobyesque 4-minor-chord-orchestral ambient pieces, this was mostly a pile of cheeze.

2009: "Wait For Me". i can't remember a single cut from this. Ok, maybe "Shot in the back of the head" or whatever the David Lynch collab was called. Otherwise, "yawwwn"

Really, i want to like Moby. His live gigs are high energy. His early work was inspiring and very in tune with what i was trying to create. His B-Sides ("Play" and "18") include some great ideas. But i thing since "Play" he's gotten formulaic. i hope the next record breaks the trend.

Last edited by holden; 04-25-2011 at 08:13 PM.