Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:46 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Re: "I Exhale" - first single from Shining Future
this is the first time an Underworld song is un-growing on me. Waning? Its just too long for what little is happening. Something is definitely missing here and I'm not sure its just the lyrics as I first guessed.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:34 PM
cdave2
dancin' fool

I'm becoming quite fond of it. It's the saxophone that gets me - bit reminiscent of "Pacific," only pleasantly off-kilter.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:35 AM
hexagoneye
river

Hello, i am a long time underworld fan but have never registered here before now. I felt compelled to have to comment on how much this single has grown on me since the first listen. Certainly on first listen i didn't know what to make, it was alien sounding for an underworld track and to me at that point sounded too much like an indie band trying to release an electronic style track so they can add "diverse" to their biography. But with each listen i am discovering it is much more than that, i find new sounds with every listen and i now absolutely LOVE this track. I cannot wait for the dj koze remix as i reckon he will be perfect for this, check him out he is pretty interesting. It's probably not Karl's strongest lyrics but they suit the slightly chaotic nature of the track. Good to see them do something different! I reckon a lot of people will really appreciate this track on the album, a lot of singles i wasn't fond of in the past only worked once heard in context.

Last edited by hexagoneye; 01-27-2016 at 01:39 AM.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:38 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Hi Hex. Welcome.

I'm not too worried about the full album tho considering I loved the way the teaser clip sounds and the "yeah" youtube teaser.

Although the first song on that teaser clip has a very very similar style to I Exhale doesn't it? Soccer-chanting-esque?
Old 01-28-2016, 02:00 PM
hexagoneye
river

seriously, this is underworlds best single since two months off, there should be more excitement about this tune from underworld fans! I am hearing a little bit of dirty epic in this track but sounds completely 2016.

Last edited by hexagoneye; 01-28-2016 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:12 PM
Dino3D
pants

Yeah, it's a fucking great and hypnotic song!
Old 01-28-2016, 03:49 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
While it doesn't have the exuberance of previous lead singles ( TMO and Scribble come to mind...), the more I listen to I Exhale, the more it reveals. Headphone music. Yeah, at first blush, simple two note bass, steady beat. But so many layers and as I mentioned before, noises that in this context make sense. The vocal and video are also growing on me.

Still, holding hope for some straight up electronic tracks, such as the middle part of the Shining Future sampler.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:37 AM
Lx_Nen
Romford no more

There's a promo CD on Ebay already: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381532214897

2 tracks, Long/Short version, no remixes but does have a picture sleeve and a sticker mentions the DJ Kroze mix on the way in a few weeks.

It's UWR00068 if we're still keeping track of UW catalogue numbers.

Last edited by Lx_Nen; 01-29-2016 at 04:41 AM.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:58 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexagoneye View Post
seriously, this is underworlds best single since two months off, there should be more excitement about this tune from underworld fans! I am hearing a little bit of dirty epic in this track but sounds completely 2016.
Well this I can agree with.

I still think it's missing the lyrical brilliance of so many other UW tracks, the ability to sing along, and one more crescendo of sounds (for an 8+min track.) Would love to hear how this track sounded with a long ramble on top of it.

Last edited by potatobroth; 01-29-2016 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:51 PM
khouri
khondo dweller

It seems to me like a slightly more melodic Peggy Sussed, one of my least favorite UW tracks. Atonal, rambling (doesn't Karl sing "blah blah blah" in this one? It's almost like self-parody). I think there are some cool sounds in my headphones but in my view it didn't come together as a tune, like a lot of the stuff on the two Eno/Hyde albums.