Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2010, 12:17 PM
Dunwho
Big Time

Re: Premium Tequila, Diamond Jigsaw makes me...
If you ask me ... to take a visual approach and to think m i terms of his photos and snipits of the city..

Diamond Jigsaw = Shattered Glass

Its still a ridiculously shit song though...

And in terms of his lyrics.. they guy has pretty much spent all his time recording the "poetry of the streets"... I always presumed much of what he is singing is OTHER peoples words that he has recorded on paper.. ... and what is strange about the latest album is how much the lyrics to the songs are far more cohesive and in the first person..

Usually when there were words in the first person on other albums it seemed from the point of view of someone else.. but this time it seems way more personal.. and frankly a bit boring - the whole of bird 1 is him describing himself sitting in a room.. and the noises he hears.. a fly flying across the room.. i mean..... it reflects his older lifestyle now and is completely different from being wasted on the midnight train Romford..

Overall you are now listening to the words of a content older man, enjoying quieter times and still suffering from the darker times of the past.. but all in all its fairly boring
Old 09-08-2010, 12:44 PM
cacophony
disquietude

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mongoose View Post
You're forgetting that

"that White Stuff.....that stuff........that stuff makes me feel........feel.....feeeeeel.....Happy!"
are we SO SURE he's saying "that white stuff?" because that never sounds right to me. i mean there are no officially released lyrics, right?
Old 09-08-2010, 12:53 PM
cacophony
disquietude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lx_Nen View Post
You can interpret spoonman as the ravings of a heroin addict, a catholic priest performing communion (talks to god, transfusion, into the blood) or even as a commentary on cunnilingus during menstruation (don't put your hand where you wouldn't put your face, nice bikini, she's a wound, into the blood).
your brain is fabulous!
Old 09-08-2010, 06:56 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
To paraphrase "Almost Famous":

"Do you have to be depressed to write a sad song?
Do you have to be in love to write a love song?"

No.
Experience helps. But also an attentive eye and creative mind. Karl's an observer, for sure. I can't say how much of the writing is experiential in the form of being autobiographical (ok, Born Slippy, yes, but may other tracks, who knows?) but he is always with a notebook and an open mind for what's happening around him. I wouldn't read too much into any lyric other than to say that if it hits a nerve, it's a good one and has had the desired effect.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:37 PM
Future Proof
Richard Simmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
So, just because karl mentions a popular drink, suddenly he is an alcoholic again. Next, you will be calling Lady Gaga a prostitute
I never made such a claim, I merely asked the question.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:08 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

“Would you be more or less likely to vote for John McCain, if you knew he had fathered an illegitimate black child?”

Just asking.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:40 AM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

seriously - we having this thread?
Old 09-09-2010, 06:03 AM
cacophony
disquietude

why the hell not? it's no stupider than any other navel-gazing fan obsessed thread we entertain around here.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:29 AM
Future Proof
Richard Simmons

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
“Would you be more or less likely to vote for John McCain, if you knew he had fathered an illegitimate black child?”

Just asking.
You're not seriously comparing Karl Hyde to John McCain, or fathering children out of wedlock to having a drink... are you?

Dramatic much?

Cacophony's right -- sorry that my question isn't in line with all of the other card-carrying drivel. I was just curious. But not to worry, I think my next thread will be the 496th poll concerning what the best song on DUBNO is, to fall back in line.

Last edited by Future Proof; 09-09-2010 at 06:33 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:34 AM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

its one thing being curious - but surely because a song mentions a drink - doesn't mean the artist is an alcoholic - even if he does have previous....

i know its opened a lyrics debate - but ffs, Karl writes mainly about what he hears and see's but not necessarily does...

next you'll be telling me Karl was a phone sex addict back in the day too...