Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2006, 11:22 PM
bryantm3
It's Written In The Book!

Re: Underworld rejected from ProgArchives
i've been using progarchives to do that.

i'm glad you found that!
Old 10-25-2006, 11:23 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3
well 3 is possible. there are themes that are repeated throughout dubnobasswithmyheadman and beaucoup fish (bassline from 'dark & long' is repeated, sounds of thunder, wind, etc. are prevalent throughout album, beaucoup fish lyrics can be interpreted to be a concept album about a relationship with a woman, and 'tiny holes' is repeated at least 3-4 times. surely must have some meaning?)
straws are for drinking, not grasping.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:32 PM
bryantm3

it could be possible. we just don't know the meaning of the lyrics, but they seem to be connected. still, removing that one, that's still 7/10 requirements.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:07 AM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Quote:
it could be possible. we just don't know the meaning of the lyrics, but they seem to be connected. still, removing that one, that's still 7/10 requirements.
actually it's more like 4/10 until you contest my other objections.
and make that 3/10 since point 5 would very very obviously be valid within a rock context.

and anyways, you've got a list, and i've got ears.
not hearing it.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:34 AM
Ally
Henreeeeeeeeeecat! :)

Send a message via MSN to Ally
... you will hear gospel, and rhythm and blues and jazz.. all those are just labels, we know that music is music!
Old 10-26-2006, 03:48 AM
patrick
river

i am completely glad they aren't near this site/grouping. prog is awful, and my proof of that is 'dream theater'

HELL!
Old 10-26-2006, 05:46 AM
Dirty0900
Only £50 a show,book now.

I dont care what genre they are/were etc. If it sounds good i'll listen.

End of.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:35 AM
bryantm3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubman
actually it's more like 4/10 until you contest my other objections.
and make that 3/10 since point 5 would very very obviously be valid within a rock context.

and anyways, you've got a list, and i've got ears.
not hearing it.
on no. 5: they use rock instrumentation in addition to techno sounds, so it's still valid, in a reverse manner.

on no 6: there are solo passages, like guitar solos and keyboard solos, in UW's music.

on no 9: there are plenty of examples of this. 'mmm skyscraper i love you', 'juanita : kiteless : to dream of love', 'cups', 'banstyle / sappys curry', 'pizza for eggs', 'i'm a little girl and i'm a big sister and i'm a princess and this is my horse'.

on no 10: there are short cuts of their long songs including juanita, and sections of several songs listed above could be taken out and put as stand alone.

7/10, if not 8/10.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:13 AM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Quote:
on no. 5: they use rock instrumentation in addition to techno sounds, so it's still valid, in a reverse manner.

on no 6: there are solo passages, like guitar solos and keyboard solos, in UW's music.

on no 9: there are plenty of examples of this. 'mmm skyscraper i love you', 'juanita : kiteless : to dream of love', 'cups', 'banstyle / sappys curry', 'pizza for eggs', 'i'm a little girl and i'm a big sister and i'm a princess and this is my horse'.

on no 10: there are short cuts of their long songs including juanita, and sections of several songs listed above could be taken out and put as stand alone.

7/10, if not 8/10.
on no. 9. yeah, i thought about it too... i count 4. out of their whole discography, i count 4... 3 actually since i dont think skyscraper works and i *dont* count riverrun since it's published that those are seperte tracks and they left it to us to cut up.

on no. 5. no they dont. just because you hear an occasional guitar twang somewhere does not make it rock instrumentation. it is used wholly within an electronic context and only for that purpose. there isnt much BS about sounding anything like a rock band

on no. 6. THOSE ARENT SOLOS. if you've heard a proper solo theres the very important aspect of "showing off a player's technical proficiency". i dont heaar it, and thank christ, because i hate that anyway, and the concept of thinking that's valid when you're looking at a ton of buttons and presets is even more ludicrous.
unless it's an improv...

on 10. but they arent. hmmm.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:25 AM
GreenPea
<3 vokills

Send a message via AIM to GreenPea
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubman
on no. 9. yeah, i thought about it too... i count 4. out of their whole discography, i count 4... 3 actually since i dont think skyscraper works and i *dont* count riverrun since it's published that those are seperte tracks and they left it to us to cut up.

on no. 5. no they dont. just because you hear an occasional guitar twang somewhere does not make it rock instrumentation. it is used wholly within an electronic context and only for that purpose. there isnt much BS about sounding anything like a rock band

on no. 6. THOSE ARENT SOLOS. if you've heard a proper solo theres the very important aspect of "showing off a player's technical proficiency". i dont heaar it, and thank christ, because i hate that anyway, and the concept of thinking that's valid when you're looking at a ton of buttons and presets is even more ludicrous.
unless it's an improv...

on 10. but they arent. hmmm.
Besides all those points don't hold the same weight. For me what most says prog of all those points is the thing about playing in unusual tempos, that for me is kind of the definition of prog right there, it is making music with this academic and technical approach where the creativity is shown by playing with the rules of music that the general music listener has no clue about...And in that case isn't UW mostly 4/4 stuff? That to me is reason enough to reject them.

P.S. Mind you I might be wrong about what I just said cause I couldn't tell you what tempo music is being played on even if you threatened to kill my family.

Last edited by GreenPea; 10-26-2006 at 10:28 AM.