Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:39 PM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

Re: New Underworld album - Barking (Sept. 13, Sept 2 Japan)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champiness View Post
I've said it once and I'll say it again: we're getting studio versions of both, so there's no reason to complain if you don't like what they did with a song. Just consider it a different track.

well we don't really know if that's true, "Strumpet Groove" to me sounds like a jam-type remix that may not even have vocals

though the versions on the live here now discs are pretty pristine anyway
Old 08-30-2010, 09:29 PM
Sappys Curry
mouseman

I suspect that Strumpet Groove will have vocals. I sure hope it does. The vocals are key to its groove, if you ask me.

Bird 1 is good. I downloaded it, and listened to it just a while ago, and it was better than I thought it would be (the samples were fine, but hearing the whole thing was definitely more impressive). Really good album opener. I really like Bird 1. It is funny, I got a bit giddy and quite excited as the song played. From the start of the song to the end I had a big smile on my face. I must've looked like such a dork.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:33 PM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

i've felt the same way through Scribble and ALAF...I have the feeling a lot of the pickier UW fans are not gonna like this, but I'm kinda feeling this could be better than Beacoup Fish, maybe even the first two? I dunno...it's a totally different groove, but there's something to be said for really great pop music
Old 08-30-2010, 09:57 PM
Sappys Curry
mouseman

I love Dubnobass and STITI. They are in my top 3 for favorite albums of any genre. I don't think Barking will ever be favored over those two for me personally, but I'm not expecting such a thing. I'm just expecting it to be another really good album from UW, and it seems like they will deliver again.

How will it compare to BF, AHDO, and OWB? I don't know, but it has the potential to be better than OWB, maybe even BF. AHDO is good, but my least favorite album of theirs. I think BF edges out OWB for me, but just a little. Barking will be "competing" with those two albums, I'm suspecting.

I haven't put too much thought into how it'll compare to the other UW albums, though. I anticipate its release, and I know I'll be happy with it. Maybe it'll be better than I expect, too. And what is really exciting is CD 2 of the box set. To get not just a new UW album, but an alternate album too? That is awesome. It is like getting two new albums from them on the same release date.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:20 AM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

well so far I like Scribble, ALAF is decent although I really preferred the Silver Boots version, but this (for me) is definitely worse than the original tune they've played live. If this is what Dubfire brought to the table, loads of tinny hihats, annoying synth-plops, a couple of swishes and random melodies, then I'm not impressed.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:16 AM
jose m
pants

why can't we get bespoke albums?
rick and karl could ask us what we like and tailor the next album to our exact requirements.
....but they can't be bothered,the sleeve artworks gone to shit,they haven't played america for years (well not properly),the shows are all the same now and what about those remixes and the fucking guests on the album.i'm not even gonna buy the new album in protest !
Old 08-31-2010, 03:08 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Well, I'm going to assume there's a lot of hyperbole in that post.

I do think UW are giving us what we asked for though. In the Limited Edition. The 2nd disc is pretty much what the die-hards wanted, both before the album was announced and after. Before the album, people were asking for those tracks to be released as we'd heard them in their various forms. After the album, people were bemoaning the collaborations and wanting the Underworld "originals". UW probably foresaw this, thus the bonus disc. I think it satisfies most of the die-hards' wishes, except, perhaps, for more versions of ALAF (a missed opportunity for the ALAF single?).

There is the issue of the somewhat high price of the Limited Edition, but the moanings been kind of minimal on that, and fans HAVE been saying for years that they'd pay the band good money for the tracks, so I think it's time to put up or shut up. Also, it IS a limited run, and hopefully will be high quality too with the photobook and packaging and all.

No comment on the artwork. Playing America? Reality is what it is. I just hope more dates are announced soon. Gotta make plans.

Live shows the same? I understand the reasoning (I guess). It's just not what we've come to expect and love of Underworld Live. The same set twice in a row? Many times in a row? So long as they're confined to festival shows, however, I think I can live with that. I just hope they remember that it's the die-hard fans coming to their headlining individual shows, and play accordingly.

Crap remixes? Well, you can't always have everything you want, can you?
Old 08-31-2010, 02:28 PM
purlieu
enofa

I've given up on the singles these days, the amount of b-sides/Underworld mixes from Push Upstairs onwards is enough to knock together an EP and I've kind of given up on them putting out a Dark + Long/Pearl's Girl type EP again. Just expecting a release of crap remixes and hoping we at least get a good video out of it.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:38 PM
ExtraLongAndDark
Extra long and dark :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by purlieu View Post
I've given up on the singles these days, the amount of b-sides/Underworld mixes from Push Upstairs onwards is enough to knock together an EP and I've kind of given up on them putting out a Dark + Long/Pearl's Girl type EP again. Just expecting a release of crap remixes and hoping we at least get a good video out of it.
Haven't you read the post above, disc 2 of the release 4 sure will have the real stuff we want to hear, although im looking forward to the collaberations.

Im not an PvD-fan [i would have sent my stuff to Carl Craig or Hawtin instead], but if the songs "sucks" there is always the original ...
Old 08-31-2010, 03:48 PM
Jason Roth
The Vice President

Ok guys, if you have an iTunes Japan account, you can buy the album right now. Even though it says "September 2nd, 2010."