Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2011, 08:22 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Re: Ansum — A Hundred Days Off industry promo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunwho View Post
This is mind blowing... mo move is sounding greeeeeeeeat, was already my favourite song.

MoMove was always up there with my favorite UW tracks, this just distills the better/best parts of Ansum/Quick Bit and Little Speaker and makes it epic.

Yeah, can't get enough of the drum barrage at the end of "Twist". I do hear a loop or two from TMO, but with enough new whooshes and Karl's saying something i can't make out, i can't complain.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:33 PM
bryantm3
It's Written In The Book!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
No, it's the same, but the difference is that it fades into the beginning of Twist, rather than fading out to silence like on the album.

I didn't notice anything significantly different, other than some minor pre-mastering level differences. Do you have any specific examples?
around 5:25 to 5:55 there is a woo-woo-woo-woo sound sort of like a siren on the album. it seems to be missing in this mix.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:36 PM
bryantm3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
around 5:25 to 5:55 there is a woo-woo-woo-woo sound sort of like a siren on the album. it seems to be missing in this mix.
also in mo move the instruments, at least to me, seem to be at different levels throughout.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:48 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
Good ear. Sounds like Rick added that bit later.

Quote:
also in mo move the instruments, at least to me, seem to be at different levels throughout.
Probably. That's all part of the mixing and mastering process.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:33 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

I quite like this mix of MoMove. And I can totally live without Little Speaker. Other than that, and Twist, the rest of the album is pretty much as on AHDO proper.

Has anyone converted to MP3s from FLACs?
Old 05-06-2011, 09:22 AM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

Quote:
Good ear. Sounds like Rick added that bit later.

Probably. That's all part of the mixing and mastering process.
bryantm3 always continues to surprise, no?

Old 05-06-2011, 10:58 AM
funkboy3
Just this guy

Quote:
For those who have just joined the RTSR Yahoo Group, check out the "Links" section for instructions on accessing the Tracker and FTP.
I did this several (3, maybe 4) days ago, and submitted an access request for the Tracker, and I still can't log in. I know that I won't be notified when access is granted, but is there anyone reading here that might be able to verify what my status is? Or, point me to someone to ask?
Old 05-06-2011, 11:26 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Quote:
Waiting for someone to do the side by side spectrum analysis
Old 05-06-2011, 06:57 PM
Dunwho
Big Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpee View Post
Waiting for someone to do the side by side spectrum analysis
You dont really need to. They have done some subtle mastering on it, and removed a lot of the high end area where ambient noise from the original recording is still heard on the promo. I quite like it because to my ear anyway i feel the individual elements have a lot more "room" to move.

The compression added at mastering pushes out this subtle noise and spreads out the sound so that it doesn't bounce around as much. You notice it hugely on the drums at the intro to TMO... you dont need a spectrum analysis... just listen at a decent volume. The bass is really tightened up on the mastered version and not allowed bounce around in all that ambient space that you can hear on the promo....

To my ear the whole album sounds hugely different as a result. I can hear bass lines that are now more hidden beneath the rest of the music.. i can hear extra percussion elements...

But what it isn't is subtle. And at first i was thinking it was way better to be able to hear this stuff but when you listen to the original you realise that by burying certain elements and cleaning up the sound, there is a more subtle use of sound... you dont neccessarily need to distinguish all of the individual elements for the effect to work.. it means it is less tiring on the ears and far easier on the brain... Im learning a lot from this actually, its great to be able to hear a before and after!

Also listen to the vocals on TMO... especially around 4.30 you can hear far more of Karls voice underneath the vocoder.. this is also cleaned up hugely.

Really Really value this recording.. it is a dream to hear an unmastered version of anything let alone a whole album because it gives you a chance to listen and learn.. and even try and replicate .. Brilliant!
Old 05-07-2011, 01:11 AM
bryantm3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jOHN rODRIGUEZ View Post
bryantm3 always continues to surprise, no?
hey john, you might be interested in this promo i found for beaucoup fish