Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2007, 10:30 AM
the real stuff
falling off the world

Re: The Official OWB Thread
Holding the Moth would stand well on its own, but I might think that just 'cause I love it so damn much.

OwB is on the ambient side of things and clearly doesn't have your typical Underworld single on it. The trick is figuring out how to hook new listeners onto what is really a subtler, more textured output from the band.

Last edited by the real stuff; 09-30-2007 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:51 AM
Buji
mouseman

I personally prefer the ambient and experimental side of Underworlds music best.
I think 'Good Morning Cockeral' sounds ace.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:19 PM
Dirty0900
Only £50 a show,book now.

Been listening to this album constantly before i bugger off on holiday. All i can say is that this album is pure class.

To Heal is just an amazing song. If they played it in london, id be perfectly happy to walk out after. It just sends the chills up and down. The most lush piece of music which needs to be longer.

Sorrry, im slighly drunk, but i dont care! Holding The Moth needs to be the next single.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:24 PM
koisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher of Bakersfield
I'll have none of it till the disc shows up.
Agreed! You guys have spoiled your Christmas!
Old 09-30-2007, 04:10 PM
dog
mouseman

Well i've not heard a thing from it thus far, not even the single so i'm quite excited about the album. One thing that does annoy me though is bonus tracks on, for example, the Japanese disc- why on earth would they not put it on all the discs? I've spent far too much on limited Underworld CD's as it is and the trend is becoming annoying!
Old 09-30-2007, 04:34 PM
mmm skyscraper
fac123

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog
Well i've not heard a thing from it thus far, not even the single so i'm quite excited about the album. One thing that does annoy me though is bonus tracks on, for example, the Japanese disc- why on earth would they not put it on all the discs? I've spent far too much on limited Underworld CD's as it is and the trend is becoming annoying!
Imports. The album costs $25 in Japan, but you can get it in the US for $15. Bonus tracks discourage this.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:27 PM
2dreamofluv
river

i love the music for ring road.

not a huge fan of the vocals on RR, but thats okay because it is literally the only fault i find with the album. that and To Heal is too short.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:21 PM
Future Proof
Richard Simmons

Ring Road is pretty awful imo, and so is Boy, Boy, Boy for that matter. However, I love Good Morning Cockerel, Holding the Moth should be the next single, and Beautiful Burnout after that.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:05 PM
the mongoose
talks to God

Cuddle Bunny is the worst track without a doubt (but it has elements from RiverRun that make it tolerable I suppose).

Ring Road is the worst "song" though, cause Cuddle Bunny isn't one. RR has nice moments to it, but it's too ackward for me to actually relax and enjoy it. "it's good food, but your clothes come out smelling like grease"
The chorus is good however.

Boy Boy Boy rocks! It's what Trim should have been years ago. Love the darker lyrics for a change too. Drive faster.

Good Morning Cockerel is very good and reminds me of nice ambient stuff like maybe BlueSki perhaps. To Heal and Restore is just okay, but under the right circumstances.....mmmm.

Best Mamgu Ever is probably the best song in terms of production and the "wow that sounds cool" effect, but the chopped vocals have worn thin after a couple of listens, so my personal favorite has now become...

Faxed Invitation. "Deep Voice" + that synth part = bliss.

Holding the Moth was terrible on first listen, but now that I've heard it a bunch I can't get the "Glass Eye on you, Electric Eye on you who loves to be touched with a Glass Eye on you" stuff outta my head. Remixes could be awesome.

Glam Bucket's first couple of minutes are lush, but once the shrill synth stabs start it's time to skip to the next track fast. Shame, it has such potential to be a classic.

Beautiful Burnout is Biro the Leggy and Crocodile is Crocodile

Overall, it's a solid cd that flows very well and really has something to please everyone. B rating so far.

Last edited by the mongoose; 09-30-2007 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:04 PM
qirex
mouseman

As described to a friend of mine...
At first listen this album easily catches you off guard. It's quite the depature from their previous work. With that...after listening to it in it's entirety, probably over 20 times already, I can easily say it's a lush piece of work from start to finish. There isn't one track I'd skip and I think it's one of the most interesting and experimental pieces they've made yet. At first I was hoping to hear more "dance anthem-esque" (ie rez, born slippy, pearls girl) tracks after the ambient/minimal style of the River Run projects, however with how OWB comes together they wont be missed as much as one would think. Even so, with UW's vast back catalog, this is just another gem to add to the collection.

Current favorite: Best Mamgu Ever

waiting to hear "Loads of Birds"...