Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:23 AM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

Re: Barking - The Alternative Versions (AKA CD2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorpilot View Post
I think it is quite simple:
CD1 - for the 'mass market' - making Underworld more accessible to new people
CD2 - for the loyal fans - It's what most of us have been crying out for the new album to contain.

So then everyone should be happy!... errr.. I hope!?!
well thats exactly what i expect fans to say, but don't really want this to happen

i've certainly not been 'crying out' to have disc 2 as 'the album', i just want disc two to represent 'other' alternative, as you will, versions of the songs.

Its good to have them available and as they do exist its nice to share them with loyal fans, but Underworld wanted Barking to be out there as a piece of music to represent them for 2010 and it is the 9 official tracks as issued - disc 2 is a BONUS. It doesn't matter if producers or not meddled with them - its still a simple 9 track Underworld album.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:30 AM
Sappys Curry
mouseman

We will have our differences in how we regard and think of CD 2 of the box set, but like someone said on page one, I'll probably end up listening to CD 2 a lot more than Barking, too, heh.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:03 AM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sappys Curry View Post
We will have our differences in how we regard and think of CD 2 of the box set, but like someone said on page one, I'll probably end up listening to CD 2 a lot more than Barking, too, heh.

I certainly don't wanna dictate listening preferences, i love some of the non album output, I just feel that it needs to be set straight that Barking is what it is - like it or not - its not what 'could've' been...

i really do like the album as it is, and i might love the alternives CD even better, but its no different to loving a remix of a song.

Barking wouldn't exist without demos and trials, and its great we'll get to see / hear these... and i'm all for that - just don't hate on the album that has been released by comparing it to the second disc... you can hate the album for what it is... because it is what it is.

after all is all about the love of the music being output for our enjoyment....
Old 09-07-2010, 07:26 AM
qirex
mouseman

I'm definitely looking forward to hearing disc 2, playing Barking in full for the first time was underwhelming (first time ever for an uw release). Particularly disappointed with Bird 1 and don't like Louisiana at all; album standout for me is Hamburg Hotel.

Last edited by qirex; 09-07-2010 at 07:34 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:50 AM
testudo
JunkiesCriminalsFugitives

Location: The international territory and the mighty infamous
Old 09-07-2010, 09:15 AM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by big screen satellite View Post
I certainly don't wanna dictate listening preferences, i love some of the non album output, I just feel that it needs to be set straight that Barking is what it is - like it or not - its not what 'could've' been...

i really do like the album as it is, and i might love the alternives CD even better, but its no different to loving a remix of a song.

Barking wouldn't exist without demos and trials, and its great we'll get to see / hear these... and i'm all for that - just don't hate on the album that has been released by comparing it to the second disc... you can hate the album for what it is... because it is what it is.

after all is all about the love of the music being output for our enjoyment....
i love this, you're trying to be diplomatic about corralling a petulant gaggle of whiners into behaving a certain way about an album edition.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:23 AM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubman View Post
i love this, you're trying to be diplomatic about corralling a petulant gaggle of whiners into behaving a certain way about an album edition.
yeah of course - don't tell anyone tho...
Old 09-07-2010, 10:13 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

its just like an EP of b-sides. nothing more. not that hard to understand really.

and I may very well say, "ooh I like this version better" the same way I could have said that with Irish Pub Cowgirl, or Cherry Pie with Rowla. All that would mean is that I like X better than Y. All we do in this forum category is talk about Underworld songs, debate which songs should/shouldn't be on the album, etc. Why would we stop now?
Old 09-07-2010, 10:21 AM
purlieu
enofa

It's a bit of a different situation though, these being collaborations and the second disc being Underworld on their own. They aren't just different versions, they vary in who actually made them. For a pure 100% Underworld album, the second disc is a more suitable listen, whatever the band's reasoning behind the collabs.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:49 PM
Sappys Curry
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubman View Post

Eh? I haven't really whined about the album, as I like it, but it is probably my least favorite album from both MK II and MK III eras. But I will give it more time to grow on me, as I could end up liking it significantly more over time (happened to me with AHDO). And BSS, I'm not hating on the album. There is a little bit of disappointment, though, and I do hope I like this CD 2 better; that'd be good.

I said somewhere else on this forums that this is really cool, with CD 1 and CD 2 of the box set. It is like almost getting two albums at the same time from Underworld. And I've said in different threads that I don't like this album too much, but I have said a few times that I do like this album. Part of my problem is that 3 tracks were not really doing it for me, but recently I'm liking one of them more (Between Stars). I'm still not liking Grace too much, but I still am trying to get into it more, and then Scribble, I like its happy spirit, but that may be ranked last for me for songs on this album.