Admaxistrator

2016-03-25 London Roundhouse 2
For the 2nd night
Old 03-25-2016, 06:28 PM
Dirty Saint
mouseman

Re: 2016-03-25 London Roundhouse 2
Yet another great night watching Underworld

Lots of energy .... so many new tracks & tracks I haven't heard live for years ... Juanita / Rowla - amazing

But ticket alone was worth it just to hear 8 Ball live

Last edited by Dirty Saint; 03-25-2016 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:21 AM
DoctorRad
mouseman

Really enjoyed the show, though was knackered by the end. Sounds like a fixed setlist for this tour, but they threw in some stuff for the old fans and geeks.

If Rah - living this track more each time I hear it.

Juanita - pretty much full length I reckon - was a highlight for me. Very like the studio version, but they did drop the 're-es-son-nat-tor' stuttered line in which is present on EE and ECG (I think) but not the studio version. Also didn't go into what I presume is the 'To Dream of Love' segment from the end of the studio version.

Ring Road (Minneapolis Mix) as I'm calling it was great, massive surprise.

Dirty Club - good to hear a new twist on it, but I don't think it will become a favourite of mine. Dirty Epic used to be played so rarely before the dubno tour that it was really special if you heard it. Did get to hear it at Manchester in 2002 and again by Karl at Union Chapel, but the by the numbers version from the dubno tour had meant I've probably had my fill now.

Rowla - nice to hear it again, but I was always more of a Cherry Pie fan.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:40 AM
whatmakesustick

It's a pity the set list was the same - I expected PG and Scribble to be rotated in.

Not much to choose between the two nights, I guess the first will be the most memorable after the alarm!

On the first night I thought that Low Burn was particularly deep bass. Last night I was up at the front next to one of the speakers and I felt like I was being punched in the chest with each beat of that tune!

Still not convinced by the running order but these gigs have been great so no complaints.

There was a lot of congrats towards Darren Price after Ring Road / Min. - I wonder if he had a hand in that mix?

Now I just need to wait for my box set so that I can listen properly from start to finish!

I wonder why they never did Live Here Now again - they would be great momento's from the shows and make a bit of cash too.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:35 AM
markreed
mouseman

Presumably because they didn't sell enough copies. They did around 1000 CDR's for each release, and you could buy them 7 years after the show for £10 from the webshop, there was lots of unsold stock after the tour.
Old 03-26-2016, 04:00 PM
crankphoto
More a bitter man

I would have bought a Live Here Now cd from Roundhouse 1, though 30 minutes of very quiet fire alarms would need to be cut. Unless the boys dropped some beats over it !
Old 03-26-2016, 08:10 PM
Jram
river

Night 2 just seemed louder, the crowd more into it, and the whole place hotter.

I would love them to do Live Here Now again. However, Karl posted on Instagram that the shows were both recorded with VR cameras - Twitter reveals the company to be MelodyVR @MelodyVirtual - looks like some kind of app launching soon but there doesn't seem to be much detail yet.

Personally, I just hope that someone rips and posts the audio if it's not released separately...
Old 03-28-2016, 10:01 AM
Lx_Nen
Romford no more

I guess it might be down to where you stand in the crowd, as I found the opposite to Jram, the crowd were more into the first night than the second - for example everyone round me sang along with 8 ball on the first night, but they talked through it on night 2 when I was a bit further back.

Some photos - a mix of both nights... the 'lead not quite plugged in right' colour table issues on night 2 looked beautiful during Juanita.

Last edited by Lx_Nen; 03-28-2016 at 10:10 AM. Reason: add photos
Old 03-28-2016, 12:06 PM
stimpee
Administrator

Was a great set, and considering it was London, the pushing as shoving and general idiot quotient wasnt too high. Managed to meet up with several dirts, including Mike Bower, (who was perched on the front rail for the whole show). There was a distinct volume hike at the beginning of Low Burn which was a bit too high. Before that, it was just about right. Faxed Invitation didnt really go anywhere. Was expecting something closer to the Pig & Dan Geeza version. Jury still out on whether the Dirty Epic lyrics fit over the top of Dirty but i enjoyed it anyway. Same idea with Ring Road on top of Minniapolis though I think this worked better, and its great to see M get a run out after the power failure at the RFH cut it short and I never thought we'd hear it again! Generally faster and pumped up versions really worked here. The Dark Train with Karl sampled rather than live vocals allows for a faster version. My toilet track was Ova Nova/Nylon Strung. It just went on a bit too long. But same goes for Beautiful Burnout which was my toilet track on the OWB tour.

Merch: Great idea selling the CDs on the way out, cinema style (Hi Anis). And I bought the screwed up typewriter text shirt. The other UWBBWFASF tshirt is a bit underwhelming and uninspired. The poster looked good though. Mr Mike picked up one of those. Would love to see tshirts that arent just typography, and available on anything other than black/white. Probably a lot pre-invested in those shirts though.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:22 PM
amhilde
mouseman

Yeah, I think it really does all come down to where you are in the crowd. I had a good love-in going on around me with plenty of space Thursday... until the fire alarm. Friday I could tell it was a distinctly different vibe (whoever said hotter and faster was right) and I was up front (behind a guy with a lot of red hair and beard on the rail) by Karl. Folks were fine and I had space until about Low Burn when the WEIRDEST group of people shoved forward. I thought Tommy Wiseau had shown up with a harem of four 22 yr olds who looked/acted like they had read about "raves" and "electronic music" on Wikipedia. They were very pushy and invasive - I felt extremely bad for the girlfriend of the red haired man who kept having her ass felt up by these girls, even after giving them a yelling at multiple times. But you push through and deal and try and enjoy regardless.

I had a good time at both shows (well, three if you include Berlin), but I think there is a gap in expectations between the band and the crowd It seemed like a lot of people were trying to turn the clock back but the band and songs have moved on somewhat, so they deliver partly on the promise of a rollicking night out. (this was mentioned on the writeup on the RH1 page 3). By the time those big party tunes came on one after the other at the end people were all sorts of ready to let loose and they did, which was fun in some ways and disturbing in others. These shows were absolutely better than dubno in terms of pure band and crowd energy, but I also feel a tinge of sadness too that I'm not real sure why.

Merch: I got the poster (love that magenta/purple color that is worked throughout a lot of the promo on this album. Wasn't that the pantone color of the year last year? ), vinyl, and a tote bag. T-shirts can always be hit or miss in terms of fit for a woman, but a tote is forever!