Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:25 AM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

Re: Diamond Jigsaw
I love this tune. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside
I always find it quite refreshing to hear dance music that is just unashamedly upbeat and happy, like Rez, TMO or Jumbo.
Is "it sounds like song, not a tune" a serious criticism? It seems to me that the two terms are largely interchangeable.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:29 AM
BeautifulBurnout
MadMinistrator

I'm loving it too. A distinct poppy, electro sound almost. But so what. It makes me feel happy.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:35 AM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

it all feels very "live" doesnt it? i suspect the basic mechanics would still be there for a studio version but the rest would get a major facelift. feels raw enough that speculation is almost a bit pointless, so.. we'll see?
Old 08-09-2009, 10:35 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

I think it grows on you too. The first time I heard it during soundcheck, I was like, "Wow, I dunno about that synth line......" But now, it's been playing in the hotel room a lot.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:54 AM
Dunwho
Big Time

mmmm that synth has to go... or at least be toned down... im cool with the lyrics.. but the sound is very dated (as has been said here already) I love the lyrics and the happy feel... and the synth doesnt have to be taken away but at least toned down a bit...

I amnt the biggest fan of Between Stars either.. im hoping that these two arnt a show for what the new album will be like. These arnt grooves, their not conventional dance...

...in fact i dont think its dance at all.. at times this song sounds like stadium rock! Its a bit silly.

And whats really been letting me down is how uninventive the drumming is on these two tracks.. (BS and DJ) when i listen to OWB the quality of the drum sounds and also their complexity is fantastic... and drums has always been a huge quality to UW

hmmmmm
Old 08-09-2009, 12:55 PM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunwho View Post
These arnt grooves, their not conventional dance...
...in fact i dont think its dance at all.. at times this song sounds like stadium rock! Its a bit silly.
oh man "it's not conventional dance"?!
Are you saying that you would prefer if it was conventional?
wtf do you mean by "these aren't grooves" anyway? Define what is a groove to you then?
I realise everyone has their own taste but some of the criticisms leveled here are just...well, silly.

It's like we're still in the early 90's and dance/rock crossover never happened. Underworld in particular were always mentioned as a band that made a successfull crossover between rock, pop and techno.

Quote:
And whats really been letting me down is how uninventive the drumming is on these two tracks.. (BS and DJ) when i listen to OWB the quality of the drum sounds and also their complexity is fantastic... and drums has always been a huge quality to UW
well personally I'm glad not every track has to be a Beautiful Burnout-style bongo-fest.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:53 PM
Dirty0900
Only £50 a show,book now.

Recent rips of this and Between Stars are making me think good stuff is coming alongside:

Bamboo
You Do Scribble
Always Loved A Film
Strumpet
Old 08-09-2009, 02:54 PM
khouri
khondo dweller

This song reminds me of Moroder's "Never Ending Story".
Old 08-10-2009, 06:36 AM
Dunwho
Big Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Snake View Post
oh man "it's not conventional dance"?!
Are you saying that you would prefer if it was conventional?
wtf do you mean by "these aren't grooves" anyway? Define what is a groove to you then?
I realise everyone has their own taste but some of the criticisms leveled here are just...well, silly.

It's like we're still in the early 90's and dance/rock crossover never happened. Underworld in particular were always mentioned as a band that made a successfull crossover between rock, pop and techno.

well personally I'm glad not every track has to be a Beautiful Burnout-style bongo-fest.
Well first of all i dont mean to offend anyone, its just an opinion and im a little taken aback at how strong your reaction was..

By groove i mean a good solid synth progression thats not too long and repeats over and over. Ontop of this then you develop the groove with more elements and it builds and builds. I know when i dance to Dance music i want to get into that groove.. hear how the song progresses and react to how a new element warps the already established groove and so on so forth.. i guess thats progressive house in a nut shell. But think of Jumbo, Rowla, Moaner, Two Months Off, Glam Bucket, Holding Moth, Spoonman, etc etc etc... all these songs represent each main album release by UWmkII and they all follow this principle of developing grooves and hypnotic rhythms..

I dont see this in the BS and DJ

And this also helps to explain what i mean by conventional Dance - I dont feel like i can really dance to this new music... there is nothing to really get lost in.. nothing pumping at me to make me go longer and dance harder... give it everything i have ... its just not there.

And im not just talking about huge pumping tunes like .Nuxx - 8Ball has the same effect and others like it

As far as the Drumming comment goes... listen to Crocodile and you instantly hear a rich texture of low-end rhythms, maybe not all drum sounds but still a real good solid rhythmic quality, Ring Road has the obvious drums but listen behind that and there is some reall good play on the high hats and what sounds like a bit of bongo which really drives the song forward and keeps a bit of momentum. I could throw in a few "Second Toughest" songs but you would probably say that that was all Darren Emmerson or something..

I am a fan of some of the MkI material too and while i amnt the biggest fan of Diamond Jigsaw and Between Stars yet, i am open to let them grow on me. I really like Strumpet however, i did wonder if they would develop on the sound of strumpet and clearly they have... I just hope that they take these songs and really give them a good going over, even as pop songs i wouldnt be ove rthe moon about these, especially when i know just how good the lads can be, i would love to hear them take these songs and develop on them in a more dance orientated fashion or even just to thicken up the sound and give it more richness.. they just seem a little weak to me..

Im cool to discuss the songs but dont get so agressive over it.. not everyone is going to see eye to eye.

Last edited by Dunwho; 08-10-2009 at 06:41 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:22 AM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

I'm just being "aggressive" for the sake of argument man, don't take it too personally. I never said that you offended anyone either but if you say something like "its not conventional dance" or "it's not a groove" you can expect someone to pick up on it and ask you wtf you're talking about. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.
If we didn't have a fight about liking or not liking a new uw track from time to time this forum would soooo boring.