Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 08-22-2019, 05:23 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Drift Ep. 5, Part 3 - Imagine a Box
There’s a blue sky but a storm’s brewing out at sea. Hear it in the modulating synths, the pictures painting words. Fairytale summer? There could be trouble ahead. Leave the light on.

If you like… Air Towel, Between Stars, Little Speaker, Trapped... then Imagine a Box belongs to you.

------------

Looks like a digital single release again this week. No free download.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:33 AM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Re: Drift Ep. 5, Part 3 - Imagine a Box
Yeah, i found it was up on streaming services before YouTube or the Facebook announcements. Seems like sometimes they have the episode ready and spring it early, whereas other tracks might still be in progress til deadline, hence a later-in-the day announcement and download.

Right, so...the synth is fun, and the vocals are fine (sort of a skym feel?) But, they clearly are not in the same key or melody. Gives the same impression as D5 ep.2, that two in-progress tracks were smashed together to see what happens. (I do this a lot with my own unfinished tracks, trying to make something epic out of halfway there tunes). Its distracting, unfortunately

Last edited by holden; 08-22-2019 at 05:45 AM.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:34 AM
4thDrawerDown
river

Hmmm - not sure about this at all

Sounds very much like a discarded LP out-take (discarded for obvious reasons at that)
Old 08-22-2019, 06:01 AM
domsgotsideburns
mouseman

i think this is excellent. by my first impression from the teaser, it sounded like Schiphol Test with more punch to it - but it's more than that. it's quite chaotic with all the dissonant synths and Karl's echoed vocals. although his hums are really, really excellent here. i don't think the band has created anything like this before.

personally, the first couple of tracks in episode 5 have been underwhelming. i can confidently say that i've enjoyed almost all of the DRIFT material thus far, but the introduction to this episode has been incredibly challenging. Toluca Stars feels like a chore to go through with its little to no progression, and Mile Bush Pride faces the UoCWB film edit problem; it's too underdeveloped in its current form. Imagine A Box has revitalised my spark for this episode. i've now been waiting with no expectations (although i still crave for that acid techno Reykjavik promo ) so i'm very curious to see where this episode will taken next
Old 08-22-2019, 06:09 AM
domsgotsideburns
mouseman

oh and i also forgot to mention the video- i've always imagined that there should have been a DRIFT film with the boys and the World of Underworld designs on Spotify combined together. amazingly, this video pretty much answers that vision!
Old 08-22-2019, 06:22 AM
purlieu
enofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
and the vocals are fine (sort of a skym feel?)
Yeah, the first thing I thought was Skym.

I have no idea what to make of it at all though. It definitely feels unfinished. Odd song.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:32 AM
crank
I'm a big sister

I'm really digging this one.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:20 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

i quite like it, even if it doesn't feel wholly unique.

I also really like Mile Bush Pride and Toluca Stars. Both have gotten lots of play this past week.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:03 PM
khouri
khondo dweller

In another era I think we'd appreciate this one for being a neat little b-side. That's kind of a flaw in the Drift system; every track is being scrutinized as though it were a single or album track.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:04 PM
potatobroth
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by khouri View Post
In another era I think we'd appreciate this one for being a neat little b-side. That's kind of a flaw in the Drift system; every track is being scrutinized as though it were a single or album track.
i see what you mean, but ive been treating them as Riverrun/Random Works. The album will be the final result. I'm okay with half-finished tracks this way.