Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:29 AM
purlieu
enofa

Re: Underworld - Beaucoup Fish & A Hundred Days Off (Fan Extended Editions)
I can't even comprehend the hate Ess Gee gets. Such a pretty little interlude, and at two minutes it's hardly like it bulks out the album.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:17 PM
bestmatti
river

I completely agree about ess gee being so underrated. To me this is what makes Underworld so special, from the best techno to a near ambient style. Try ess gee alone in a darkened room. So pure and beautiful. Mr Eno is surely envious.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:42 PM
potatobroth
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestmatti View Post
I completely agree about ess gee being so underrated. To me this is what makes Underworld so special, from the best techno to a near ambient style. Try ess gee alone in a darkened room. So pure and beautiful. Mr Eno is surely envious.
Its not like I don't like Underworld's ambient tracks, I do. Lots of them. I just loathe Ess Gee. Its grating on me. It feels cheap, thin, and grating.

There are some Underworld tracks that I skip. And then there are very few tracks I flat-out don't like. Ess Gee I flat-out don't like.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:54 PM
jetpig
LoveyouLoveyouLoveyou

I gave AHDO a listen the other day and specifically kept an ear out for ess gee, and i'm with bestmatti and purlieu, I think ess gee is a gorgeous little song. Well positioned before the hammering of DA3D too.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:36 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

I love skym. Love how that sets up Bruce and Kittens.

I've been listening to the AHDO demo much more these days. (Longer version of Twist, Momove mixed with Ansum. On that essgee leads into Momove. Hate it there too ��

While we're at it, I dislike Shudder too.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:40 AM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by darktrain View Post
So what's the story behind Ansums pt. 1-3? I know the track Ansum and I believe it was the original title of AHDO, but how/where do Little Speaker and Mo Move fit into the naming?

Also, starting an album with 16mins of ambience is...interesting :P

as far as i was aware AHDO was originally titled 'A Hundred Years' - i had a promo with this listed as the title, never saw the 'Ansum' version, but might have been a mooted title before they changed it... Ansum is a better title IMO
Old 09-09-2016, 12:43 PM
botkiller
-tired, so tired.

This is why I love these boards, even as a huge UW fan, I did not know about a lot of what has been talked about here.

Listening to the Ansum version of AHDO is a really strange thing for me, as this album means a lot to me. While it is not always looked at as the best UW album, this record got me thru a lot of bullshit in my life. Primarily, "Sola Sistem" is really important.

So, it's interesting to listen to it in this MUCH different order, because for me, song order on an album has always been really important, it totally changes the feeling of a record and how it impacts me.

That said, I really enjoy this, but it's hard for me to let go of the original song order, having listened to this record probably 1,000 times or more.

Anyway, really nice work compiling it and doing the work. I'm always super impressed at the community built around UW's music.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:11 PM
khouri
khondo dweller

The work the guys did around this period, including the RiverRun stuff and the broadcast stuff, is possibly my favorite era of the group ever. So much amazing stuff was released, particularly ambient stuff. I'm not crazy about the final form the AHDO album took, but there are versions of all of those songs that I think are among the band's best work.

But I've never liked Two Months Off. I have never "got it" and I go to the bathroom when they play it.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:17 PM
purlieu
enofa

It's possibly a bit controversial, especially with Karl's admission that the band don't feel so happy about it in hindsight, but I love the more ambient direction they took in the '00s. Oblivion With Bells has been my favourite Underworld album since the first time I played it, and although I didn't like it at the time, I find I enjoy AHDO more as time goes on. I do think there was a better album to be made from AHDO, with extended tracks and some of the more experimental moments - the extended cut here definitely shows it had potential to be a more interesting album. But in general, it's the era I found myself most excited about the band.

I suppose it became a bit of a formula around the time, but I really hope Rick uses some more of those really deep, underwater sounding pads again that were common at this point.