Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2009, 09:56 AM
Lx_Nen
Romford no more

Re: A new toy on Darktrain.jp!
The mp3 format doesn't support arbitrary file lengths, because it codes sound in blocks of 1152 samples (called 'frames'). You either need to have sounds that are a multiple of 1152 samples long, or put up with some padding at the end.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:08 AM
phaseblue
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lx_Nen View Post
it codes sound in blocks of 1152 samples (called 'frames'). You either need to have sounds that are a multiple of 1152 samples long
Well, this isn`t the sort of news I wanted to hear, but thanks for the info.
I`ll probably have to add a function that cuts the loop off after so many
milliseconds and then starts it again! Flash has the ability to do this, but
I`m trying to keep loop processing/calculations to a minimum, as this in
itself could cause a skip on slower systems.

Dubman, thanks for the recommendation! Audacity looks pretty powerful!
Old 04-06-2009, 10:51 AM
Jan
vision

There will be gaps even if the input file is a multiple of 1152 samples. The MP3 format inherently is not gapless. The LAME encoder will provide gapless support by writing the number of samples to delete in the tag, but the decoder must support reading this information (but any good decoder should do that nowadays).
I guess Ogg Vorbis is not an option? It's gapless.
uw#0523
Old 04-06-2009, 02:11 PM
crazysugarboy
pants

This is such fun . However, I have yet to produce a performance as slick and emotional as Rick's - the Oblivion Ball version comes to mind, it being a master as regards building the track up, and then slowly shutting everything off, leaving just the basic percussion riff, and then WHAM! - the master melody, shortly followed by the full-on "woofter doofter" beats - and then MEGA WHAM!! with Karl's "celebrate!!!" Sheer genius
Old 04-06-2009, 08:18 PM
phaseblue
mouseman

When I made the first mixer, I embedded all the sound files in the Flash movie before publishing.
I brought them in as wav files and then compressed them to mp3 from within Flash. They loop perfectly,
so it seems that Flash has the ability to remove this silence somehow (or it has it`s own proprietary way of creating mp3 files).

With the new mixer, all the files are loaded at runtime, or when the user manually selects a new sound to load into a channel.
All the files must be in mp3 format, and the silence at the end must be removed from outside of Flash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
The LAME encoder will provide gapless support by writing the number of samples to delete in the tag, but the decoder must support reading this information
I`ll try encoding with LAME and see what happens when I import into Flash.
Do I have to manually tell the encoder to remove the silence or will it do it automatically?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
I guess Ogg Vorbis is not an option?
I`m using CS3 (Flash 9) to develop this and it doesn`t appear to have any support for Ogg Vorbis yet.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by phaseblue; 04-06-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:31 AM
phaseblue
mouseman

Just a quick update!

The mixer is coming along, but I have had big trouble with the mp3 silence problem discussed above. I have found a somewhat decent work around to it involving a LAME encoder wrapper program that removes the silence, but there are still issues to work out! I have spent many long nights studying/pulling my hair out, so hopefully all of this will work out.

I`m sorry to carry on about this, but I`m really excited to share it with everyone! However, in the spirit of Underworld quality, I won`t do it until I feel it is up to par