Dirty Forums > headset.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 07:56 AM
Strangelet
rico suave

Re: Burial
Quote:
Originally Posted by kid cue
another thing i like about Burial is that i don't think he's mentioned a single artist or track that isn't jungle/dnb or garage/dubstep. it's a really narrow pool of music to draw from, and yet his music is infinitely rich.
Really? I'm a fan of burial's self titled lp. Also like the new stuff, and I must confess I like dubstep etc but I have a pedestrian exposure to it. With all those preambles on my opinion, there's a samey-ness here when you compare the new stuff with the previous work that means, as brilliant as it is, there really doesn't seem to be a lot of room to grow within its own structure. You could alter that structure, but then you're truly moving away from what made the burial lp so awesome.

Maybe newer directions can be awesome too, i just don't see infinite richness.

- Mark Twain

Old 11-12-2007, 04:58 PM
kid cue
ryooong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangelet
With all those preambles on my opinion, there's a samey-ness here when you compare the new stuff with the previous work that means, as brilliant as it is, there really doesn't seem to be a lot of room to grow within its own structure. You could alter that structure, but then you're truly moving away from what made the burial lp so awesome.
i know where you're coming from re: samey-ness, but i disagree. the album sounds more uniform to me, and once the idiosyncracies of each song work their way in, you're left with a considerably greater impact than on the first album (shock of the new aside). i think Untrue is a big move forward in terms of depth, technique, and emotion. he took the same ghostly, Frankenstein-esque ethos that he applied to the drums, bass, and samples, and applied it to vocal science--it isn't just another layer; it totally changes the way the music affects you. this sounds like the ghosts and voices of [your city here] coming out the woodworks after the isolation and implied memories of the self-titled LP. the music has meaning in the purest, most expressive sense. this was a really sound, perhaps a bit cautious, but well-considered artistic step forward.

if anything it's TOO much--the heavy, melodic ambient stuff started to weigh down on me today--but the garage tracks are the bomb. "Archangel" is the one, it's a genuinely moving pop song; but "Near Dark" is pretty overlooked too, like a slightly disorted mirror image of the previous song--demented and quite lost.

Quote:
Maybe newer directions can be awesome too, i just don't see infinite richness.
i meant infinite richness not in terms of style, but in the same sense that you think of any great work of art--it's open-ended; you keep hearing new things and making new associations for yourself, etc. the music is also very detailed--the crackle, bass harmonics, and various vocal inflections are subtly shifting all the time, and the drumwork is a lot better than before IMO.

i'm interested in hearing more along the lines of "Stairwell," which was a hyperdark rave stormer that doesn't sound much like anything on these last two LPs. i think he has plenty of ideas left to go
Old 11-12-2007, 10:35 PM
Tom
BttKBtKt!

Send a message via AIM to Tom Send a message via MSN to Tom
Quote:
i'm interested in hearing more along the lines of "Stairwell," which was a hyperdark rave stormer that doesn't sound much like anything on these last two LPs.
What and where the fuck.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:45 AM
kid cue
ryooong

http://kode9.blogspot.com/2007/05/mi...-festival.html
Old 11-13-2007, 07:05 AM
Strangelet
rico suave

so what about Deadbeat's journeyman's diary.

I think its keen.

- Mark Twain

Old 11-13-2007, 07:24 AM
Leon
bungalow

Quote:
Thanks for that, gonna check it out!

Anyway, I've finally been listening to Untrue, and I think the first part of the album is really, really good! It has great melodies, great vibes and quite varying songs. Etched Headplate is fucked up, I love it. I also love In Mc Donalds for its subtle sounds, while the piano-ish sound really hits you at some unexpected moments. Archangel, Near Dark and Ghost Hardware are great. I haven't paid enough attention to the second part of the album yet, though, will listen to it more.

I have moved away from the thought that Untrue "should have been" different from his first, like STITI was from Dubno. I do still think that there are some of the wooshes and "glitter" sounds in there that are too similar to those on his first album. He could have easily used other sounds to create the same effect. They are quite original sounds though, you don't hear them in any other music. Not like that, anyway.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:20 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

burial isn't dubstep. nothing about this LP is dubstep. some of the same influences that other dubstep artists/songs/albums have but i would not classify this LP as dubstep.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:46 PM
kid cue
ryooong

give me a break. he is considered part of dubstep by the dubstep scene. you can't come up with a musical definition that counters that.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:51 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

if his reference points on this album are Ambient, 2-Step, DnB and Techno, which is what it sounds like to me, what part of it is Dubstep?

which song on the new album is dubstep and why?
Old 11-13-2007, 03:56 PM
kid cue
ryooong

i consider all of it dubstep. there's a dub influence and a 2-step influence.

also, every track with beats save the 4x4 one is every bit as dubstep as anything El-B or Horsepower ever did. let me guess, they aren't dubstep either because they didn't use halfstep beats.

jeez, i really didn't want to get into this on music mag terms already. Burial is caned by the entire dubstep scene and vice versa. is that not enough to make him part of dubstep? what about Shackleton? or 2562, or Quarta 330? what if they told Timbaland he wasn't hip-hop because he was listening to Bjork and Coldplay instead of James Brown?

Last edited by kid cue; 11-13-2007 at 03:59 PM.