Re: "I Exhale" - first single from Shining Future
Karl doing a great Mark E Smith impression there
Old 01-20-2016, 07:52 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Snake View Post
Yeah that's my biggest beef with this song too. First listen I thought "Oh this is gonna be the intro and we'll get into the song proper in a bit" but then the whole song was like that. Long version doesn't really add anything. Just more of the same.
I love the music. Just missing that one piece, that one run-on-sentence lyrical awesome that defines a lot of UW for me. i had the EXACT same experience on first listen... ok these short phrases are leading to the full lyrics. oh, they arent? hmm ok.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:43 AM
Dunwho
Big Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Snake View Post
Yeah that's my biggest beef with this song too. First listen I thought "Oh this is gonna be the intro and we'll get into the song proper in a bit" but then the whole song was like that. Long version doesn't really add anything. Just more of the same.
Funny, I thought the lyrics were also some sort of intro and, to be honest, I was cringing for when the main song would kick in... cringing, because based on how Barking went, that main song was inevitably going to be super cheesy (imo)... but it different happen. It kept going, and I was delighted. Its actually not very unusual either... its just a standard progressive house idea. The song builds on the one repeating shape. Two chords..

The only thing missing is a dominant 4 to the floor beat.. but otherwise it is a progressive house tune and there are some really cool noises.. sonic walls... The background chant gives it a nice bit of structure.. but otherwise it is pleasantly unpredictable.. lots to listen to.. lots to like and consume on multiple listens.

This is fun. This i like.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:50 AM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by twicezero View Post
The 8 min version is rocking my world. It reminds me so some things but I can't say what yet. Its got something of the radioshow vibes in it...

Yes, that it, it's a riverrun... its full of JAL and Peggy sussed...
Definitely - this is the direction I think most of us thought they were going in 2005-2006.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flywaver View Post
Karl doing a great Mark E Smith impression there
yup - sounds very much like 90's Fall, plus I hear a bit of Eno's "Golden Hours" in those BG vox.

I dig this tune a lot. This group has been a huge part of my life for nearly twenty years, since I was a kid delivering papers really, I'll always cherish the nights I spent going mental to Everything Everything but I really want this new album to be something new, cuz these guys are so talented and I'm afraid if they go the way of an electrodinosaur act they won't want to make music anymore. I've been listening to OWB a ton lately, some days I think it's actually their best album, an opinion I never would have understood nine years ago, but I've grown up and I love that they have too.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:30 AM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 01-20-2016, 10:53 AM
scary man
Sci-Fi Jesus

It's sounds like Sleaford Mods covering 'Raspberry Beret'.
I love it.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:08 PM
vacant
pretty

Early thoughts (on the radio edit): Love the bassline, and how it works musically. Not too keen on the vocals, seem a bit too like a song (or poem) and less stream of consciousness than what's come before. Lyrically it seems a bit 'current' and slightly cringey.
Sure it will grow though and I look forward to the album.

v.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:49 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Ugh. Please don't listen to the radio edit. I don't know why they do this, but UW posts deliberately low-quality (low sample rate, mono instead of stereo) versions (they did this with Cut Clouds too), presumably to encourage you to buy the real thing. Instead, all it really does is make it sound like shit, and then, because this is the Internet in the 21st Century, someone else just posts the full quality track anyway.

Please just listen to this one:

Old 01-20-2016, 06:35 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
The more I listen to the 8:11 version, the more I'm impressed with UW's willingness to try something different. Yes, the vocals aren't anything we haven't heard before, but the tune...its like they are walking a fine line between harmony and dissonance... I respect these guys as musicians, and am impressed by how they've layered guitar, bass, horns, electro squelches, background vocals that all are a bit rough, but are no doubt carefully planned and produced.

I like what Karl's been saying in interviews, that they challenged themselves to create something new each day. Oh, and that they hope to be back in studio by years' end.
http://m.bristolpost.co.uk/Exclusive...ail/story.html