Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 11-24-2015, 12:45 AM
Troy McClure
I'm the Spoonman

Re: New Album: Barbara Barbara, we face a shining future
I really enjoy that part from :50 - 1:30. That will probably sound fantastic live. And I'm always curious when there's guitar in an Underworld song. Not sure what to make of the first 50 seconds just yet. For some reason, the sound reminds me of the Trance movie soundtrack, even though it's completely different than anything else.

Jason

Last edited by Troy McClure; 11-24-2015 at 01:02 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:58 AM
marcolphus
mouseman

So short, only 45 minutes! I can't listen to that soundcloud file now, but I'm really excited to hear such great news.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:16 AM
whatmakesustick

I don't mind if it's different - at this stage of their career I would rather be a bit excited and 'scared' about what might be on the album, rather than knowing what we are getting (if you know what I mean!!!). If I want something like dubno, I will listen to dubno and if I want something like STITI then I will listen to that record etc!

Remember there is also a track (test pressing) is the super expensive boxset that is not on the new album as well which will probably take the running time to 50+ in total which seems very reasonable!!

I have not even had chance to listen (or unwrap) to the new STITI remaster yet so with that and a new record and new Tomato stuff and new shows and new Karl Hyde book (maybe) I am in Underworld heaven
Old 11-24-2015, 01:17 AM
Dunwho
Big Time

Well great news, I have been looking forward to hearing what they have been working on. My first impressions are mixed... I am the same as another comment on here.. the first 50 seconds of the teaser I am a bit unsure of - but the following two snippets are pretty great I think.

Just an observation: the first 50 seconds sound like Daft Punk's latest album... anyone else get that vibe? But it does sound as though the song is about to change dramatically just before it switches to the second snippet.

Overall though I am delighted as ever for something new and fresh. There is probably going to be the return of some cheese (which I think Barking was full of) but also some really interesting explorations of sound and experimentation... hopefully mostly the latter
Old 11-24-2015, 01:18 AM
kontakt1968
mouseman

At last new underworld , something to celebrate!
The Special edition is pricey but vinyl/cd/book/artprints and of course that test pressing ...wonder how fast the first 100 will sell out, my pre order does say signed/numbered but well see...
shippings a lost more reasonable to the u.k £10.

look forward to hearing new stuff live too.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:42 AM
Yannick
Mew Mew

Old 11-24-2015, 01:54 AM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcolphus View Post
So short, only 45 minutes! I can't listen to that soundcloud file now, but I'm really excited to hear such great news.
Yeah UW albums seem to be getting progressively shorter and shorter. Of course it's the quality that counts but to be honest I think 45 minutes of material in 6 years (yeah ok they probably didn't work 6 years on the album) is pretty dissapointing. And I think UW's music works best in long form anyway. Just for reference I checked the opproximate album lengths (regular releases without bonus tracks):

Dubno: 01:13
STITI: 01:13
BF 01:14
AHDO: 01:02
OWB: 00:58
Barking: 00:54
BBWFASF: 00:45

What I'm hearing in the preview doesn't really excite me, but I'm sure some of it will grow on me.

Last edited by King of Snake; 11-24-2015 at 02:01 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:01 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

A few thoughts so far:

I'm surprised this is independent and not going out on Universal Music, given their apparently successful relationship with UMe since Karl's Edgeland.

According to this Japan article, they worked on the album from Aug. 2014 - Sept. 2015, the fastest they've ever completed an album.

At 44:48, this is the shortest album UW have ever released, beating the previous record holder, Barking, by almost 10 minutes.

"Twenty Three Blue" will also be available on the Japan releases as a bonus track.

STITI's 20th anniversary date is on March 11, so now it makes sense why the Remaster is coming out a little bit early. Also, it seems like we probably won't be getting a STITI full album tour.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:41 AM
Dirty0900
Only £50 a show,book now.

Re: New Album: Barbara Barbara, we face a shining future (March 18, 2016)
Live dates muted as well. Any full list out?
Old 11-24-2015, 02:44 AM
darkvoice
mouseman

Re: New Album: Barbara Barbara, we face a shining future (March 18, 2016)
What is this about bonus tracks for Japan? Just add them anyway... So old school nonsense. I just don't get it: release demos / unfinished tracks as a subscription service or at least as digital tracks in the shop and we will be pleased for sure.

But very excited for new material!