Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 05-06-2019, 04:09 AM
valentingalea
river

"UW Orange Bed (Sept97)" most underrated song
Hi all,

is it just me or is "UW Orange Bed (Sept97)" one of the best Underworld tracks? Karl's vocals and lyrics are on top form and the way the song takes form throughout is excellent.

Why was is it relegated to only that Super Deluxe version of Beaucoup Fish? Anybody know more history around this song?

Cheers!
Old 05-08-2019, 03:55 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Re: "UW Orange Bed (Sept97)" most underrated song
probably because it feels like half a song.
none of it really coheres into a finished product, especially as underworld sort of dance between making tracks and songs, this cut feels like a couple of drafts stapled together. maybe with a bit more structure i'd start to agree with you, but as it is i think it's a perfect addition to a more completist package.

also let's not forget that by all accounts the making of this album was pretty fractious. bouncing tracks to each other via email and fighting over control over those versions. deciding on a more ambiguous path for that beat as opposed to to a head-on banger was probably part of that.

actually that'd be kind of interesting to wonder about, in a way that we will never ever get the answer to, about how the creation of this album affected its re-release. i'm still baffled by two discs of remixes, considering how what little we know of its creation still clearly points to lots of different directions that i dont think we got a real glimpse into...
Old 05-08-2019, 04:03 PM
iamneorev
pants

I wish we got more demos and alternate takes on the Beaucoup Fish boxset... even some live jams. The BF boxset doesn't feel as complete as Dubnobass and STITI.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:07 AM
undarrenworld
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamneorev View Post
I wish we got more demos and alternate takes on the Beaucoup Fish boxset... even some live jams. The BF boxset doesn't feel as complete as Dubnobass and STITI.
Yes, Im really on the same page with you here. It was strong UW period back then, live improvisations. I wish we could get "Improvisation CD" where it is all. Its like some capture of the core classic Underworld Live improvisation aesthetics.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:51 AM
Drix
Re-Member

Yes, after all the goodies we got out of the first two I really looked forward to the BF super-deluxe as that was one of my favourite periods for a long time. Wasted opportunity, but I'm really glad they haven't stopped digging out old gold, even though we now get them as low quality downloads I still enjoy the last years hard drive digging.