Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:54 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Re: Underworld & Iggy Pop - Teatime Dub Encounters (New EP: releases July 27th, 2018)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpig View Post
US retailers??
I know, right? That's what threw me for a loop in the beginning while trying to sort this out. Never would have guessed that.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:20 AM
crank
I'm a big sister

Re: Underworld & Iggy Pop - Teatime Dub Encounters (New EP: releases July 27th, 2018)
https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/...ub-encounters/
Old 07-26-2018, 05:52 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by crank View Post
that.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:33 AM
purlieu
enofa

That does a very good job of describing it.
Old 07-26-2018, 04:09 PM
domsgotsideburns
mouseman

did some mini-reviews and a bit of a summary;

Bells & Circles - Undoubtedly the best track on the EP. An exhilarating, thumping techno track that echoes back to the Riverrun Project. I reckon the closest track in comparison to this would be Phonestrap 6 / Autotrader 4, but even then, it still doesn't compare. It really sounds like Underworld on here are thriving with new and creative ideas. Enough has been said about the lyrics already, but personally, I'm fine with Iggy's rant. It has really grown on me since the surprising first listen at the Belfast gig. The uplifting "sunlight on my wings" refrain is definitely one of Underworld's catchiest lyrics.

Trapped - This track is a little bit of a departure from the first, but it's still great. A thumping, pulsating beat leading the way for Iggy to scream his stream-of-consciousness. There are hypnotic ambient pads near the end of the track and even some breaks too, almost echoing the style of Banstyle / Sappy's Curry.

I'll See Big - A nice, moody composition. Closely in the style of Santiago Cuatro and Motorhome from Barbara Barbara. The synths and percussion are very similar to those used in If Rah, further emphasising how these tracks were created right after Underworld's and Iggy's new albums. It's nice, but no standout in Underworld's already vast collection of brilliant ambient pieces.

Get Your Shirt - Reminds me of Peggy Sussed with the loud synths in the background. It is definitely catchy ("I signed, I signed on the dotted line, and I lost my shirt", stuck in my head!) and rhythmic, but I feel as though the EP version drones on a little too long. When the female backing vox kick in, I find it sounds like a circus tune... a bit silly indeed. Karl's voice would've fit very nicely on this track in particular.

Key Tracks: Bells & Circles, Trapped

With that being said, especially the last sentence, I think we can all agree we'd all rather have Karl's great vocals we're accustomed to. Of course it would've been better if Karl sang on all these songs (minus the adult lyrics, admittedly if Karl sang the same principles on Bells & Circles, it wouldn't be right), but it's great to see how Underworld are expanding their vast discography by collaborating with Iggy Pop of all people! The World of Underworld project has just begun and this has been a tremendous welcoming for it. We still have numerous new tracks coming our way so that will be very exciting. There really were great moments in this EP that distinctly reminded me of the Riverrun Project and even Second Toughest. The instrumental versions of Bells & Circles and Get Your Shirt will most definitely please fans who dislike Iggy's input.

Last edited by domsgotsideburns; 07-27-2018 at 01:15 AM.
Old 07-27-2018, 03:27 AM
domsgotsideburns
mouseman

new video for Trapped:
Old 07-27-2018, 05:49 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by domsgotsideburns View Post
with that being said, especially the last sentence, I think we can all agree we'd all rather have Karl's great vocals we're accustomed to. Of course it would've been better if Karl sang on all these songs (minus the adult lyrics, admittedly if Karl sang the same principles on Bells & Circles, it wouldn't be right)
1000%. without the shit High School-level rhyming Iggy lyrics. Underworld isn't just Rick - its Rick + Karl's voice + their choice of words. Its a huge part of what makes them loved by all of us.

Quote:
, but it's great to see how Underworld are expanding their vast discography by collaborating with Iggy Pop of all people!
/grumpyvoice :P No thanks. This isn't Underworld.

Quote:
The instrumental versions of Bells & Circles and Get Your Shirt will most definitely please fans who dislike Iggy's input.
Kinda sorta? It's not like Get Your Shirt has all that much variation that I'd want to listen to 8 minutes of repeating beats. Take Moaner, if that song looped twice thru without the lyrics in the second half, it'd get quite boring. The lyrics make the track special. Stripping them would most def. hurt it.

What I'd love are these four musical pieces with Karl's beautiful words/poetry on top. I know I should be happy with anything new from UW, but this is an Underworld superfan website and so yeah. Iggy's definitely made these songs shit.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:51 AM
Dirty Saint
mouseman

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but I think Potato Broth doesn't like Iggy ??

Just an impression I am getting from reading this thread!!
Old 07-27-2018, 06:51 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Saint View Post
I don't know if anyone has noticed, but I think Potato Broth doesn't like Iggy ??

Just an impression I am getting from reading this thread!!
hahaha. i like Iggy as a rocker.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:57 AM
pandamagic
river

Quote:
Originally Posted by crank View Post
"Always a better showman than lyricist, Pop is forced outside his element here and responds to the challenge with a mixed bag of hackneyed aphorisms and rambly old-man stories that seem desperate to provoke."

wow yes I couldn't have said it better myself.

I do think "trapped" is quite good though.