Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > bound.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:14 PM
grady
fac321

Re: currently reading?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jOHN rODRIGUEZ View Post
Widows of Eastwick, John Updike. What a let down. Felt like reading stories in Good Housekeeping.
link

Updike was on Charlie Rose last week. It was terribly compelling in swaying my interest towards the books.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:19 PM
grady
fac321

more graphic novels this week:

Summer Blonde by Adrian Tomine

El Borbah by Charles Burns
Old 11-17-2008, 08:57 AM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

Quote:
Originally Posted by grady View Post
link

Updike was on Charlie Rose last week. It was terribly compelling in swaying my interest towards the books.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good read and the man know how to weave words keeping the reader in the moment. It could also be a self-help guide for women.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:54 AM
Strangelet
rico suave

The Hell-Fire Clubs : sex, satanism and secret societies by Evelyn Lord.

probably the "definitive" book on the subject as she puts the work in required to say "this is what we know happened and this is what we speculate".

Catriona, by Robert Louis Stevenson. A sequal to Kidnapped! !!!!! who knew??!?!?! Get more Alan Breck for your fix!!! (because he really is the coolest character that came out of this genre)

Falling Angel by William Hjortsberg. Dood, get a pen name!!!.... Especially when you're writing such cracking good american style horror/hard boiled detective novels, where people like Raymond Chandler and Steven King envy your ideas (or should). And thanks for the manly pages of booze, cigs, brawls, and sex. i'm getting tired of all this secret lives of bees bullshit.

- Mark Twain

Old 11-28-2008, 03:38 PM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangelet View Post
The Hell-Fire Clubs : sex, satanism and secret societies by Evelyn Lord.

probably the "definitive" book on the subject as she puts the work in required to say "this is what we know happened and this is what we speculate".

Catriona, by Robert Louis Stevenson. A sequal to Kidnapped! !!!!! who knew??!?!?! Get more Alan Breck for your fix!!! (because he really is the coolest character that came out of this genre)

Falling Angel by William Hjortsberg. Dood, get a pen name!!!.... Especially when you're writing such cracking good american style horror/hard boiled detective novels, where people like Raymond Chandler and Steven King envy your ideas (or should). And thanks for the manly pages of booze, cigs, brawls, and sex. i'm getting tired of all this secret lives of bees bullshit.
Damn, OK whip cracker. I'll do one like that(booze, cigs, brawls, and sex). There'll even be some women in it too.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:26 AM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
David Sedaris: "Me Talk Pretty One Day" (2000, Bay Side Books). A few years old, but still mighty hilarious. Sedaris is at his best with personal essays rather than fiction, although his dry wit and sarcasm may blur the line between these anyway!

And off the shelf, an old favorite: J.D. Salinger: "Franny & Zooey" (Little Brown, 1957). Book one, a tight little story about being sick of ego, ego ego! and having yourself a little breakdown. Book two: Glass family self-help (the original Tannenbaums), and moving toward a state of peace and self understanding after said breakdown.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:05 PM
grady
fac321

The Shock Doctrine - Naomi Klein
Old 12-09-2008, 08:39 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Currently readin old Raymond Chandler - Philip Marlowe mysteries. this one is a bunch of 4 short stories called Trouble Is My Business. i love it. paints a great picture of LA in the 1930s.

http://flickr.com/photos/32422243@N00/2769085093/
Old 12-10-2008, 08:56 AM
GforGroove
marca libre

I finished 'boring, boring, boring, boring, boring' by Zach Plague. which is not really a good book but has some very good moments that at the end worth read the whole book to get them. It makes such an amazing ridicule of the art world. Is not that is bad neither.. maybe is just a normal book. I liked it i think.

Im reading now "2666" by Roberto BolaƱos. Way too much to go. But i think is a beautiful apocalypse garantee in this one.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:07 AM
gambit
magic city writer

Currently reading "The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible" by A.J. Jacobs, and I'm in love with it. Jacobs's last book, which I need to read too, is called The Know-It-All, where he read the entire Encyclopedia Britannica from A to Z. For this book he follows every rule as literally as possible and chronicles all the hilarious adventures from not touching his wife for a week after she menstruated to stoning an adulterer with pebbles.