Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:53 PM
patrick
river

Re: R.I.P. Stylus.
ya. like scott I have almost entirely stopped reading music reviews... I find them a bit pretentious, and a number of them seem to pretend to like things that just aren't good to me... Downloading is a way better way to see if you like something... Now that is gone for the time-being too
Old 10-29-2007, 09:57 PM
swillhite
tHe niGHt oWl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherLovesDub
btw, i hate pitchfork too!

maybe i should do a list of sites i hate.
Lighten up. Life really isn't that bad.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:59 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

what if pitchfork did die?
instead of me not caring with stylus i might actually be a little happy about that.
any website that can see someone go down in flames because of a goose-egg rating should be reset. it's not even worth it for the good reviews, like the one they did for The Field.
while i'm not 100% tired of music reviews (it's getting there), i've actually found that i'm geting very tired of movie reviews....
Old 10-30-2007, 06:20 AM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by swillhite
Lighten up. Life really isn't that bad.

that was a joke home boy. get one sarcasm detector.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:50 AM
IsiliRunite
de la Michigan

Send a message via AIM to IsiliRunite
what sites are good for electronic music reviews, anyways? Both underground and popular.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:02 AM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Who gives a mouse's turd, anyway? Both Stylus and particularly Pitchfork are practically unreadible from their snobbery and bias. Though i do visit the latter for their occasionally fun-to-look at American Apparel ads

Face it, if you really like a band, reviewers will almost always irk you, and if you choose your music based on what a critic writes, you're not listening hard enough.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:09 AM
GreenPea
<3 vokills

Send a message via AIM to GreenPea
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden
Who gives a mouse's turd, anyway? Both Stylus and particularly Pitchfork are practically unreadible from their snobbery and bias. Though i do visit the latter for their occasionally fun-to-look at American Apparel ads

Face it, if you really like a band, reviewers will almost always irk you, and if you choose your music based on what a critic writes, you're not listening hard enough.
Well a good review can help you take off your fanboy googles or to try harder at something you'll dismiss at first listen.
As said before I never though of Stylus as snobbish, that was the main distinction with Pitchfork, they really had to try to cover everything and review it on its own terms be it Top 100 pop, crunk, country, dance, trance, metal or w/e. They never had that attitude of "this is what the cool kids are listening to".
Old 10-30-2007, 10:27 AM
kid cue
ryooong

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden
Who gives a mouse's turd, anyway? Both Stylus and particularly Pitchfork are practically unreadible from their snobbery and bias.
how much of either have you actually read? are people snobs because they try to write about subjective things? or is it because they put thought into them?

Quote:
if you choose your music based on what a critic writes, you're not listening hard enough.
have you ever listened to music because someone put in a good word for it? how is that different?
Old 10-30-2007, 10:38 AM
kagenaki koe
children are futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsiliRunite
what sites are good for electronic music reviews, anyways? Both underground and popular.
this forum
Old 10-30-2007, 10:44 AM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Quote:
Originally Posted by kid cue
how much of either have you actually read? are people snobs because they try to write about subjective things? or is it because they put thought into them?

have you ever listened to music because someone put in a good word for it? how is that different?
Are you being contrarian just for the sake of being so? Come on. No, i've not read either because i'm illiterate. I was just making baseless statements.

Yes, i have listened to music based on someone's good word...the words of people i know and respect and who can eloquently describe why i should give it a try. I don't know or respect Joe Pitchfork or Billy Stylus. Their tone and uninformed reviews say it all. Do i need to dig up examples of the lack of thought that goes into these critiques? Critiques are subjective, yes, and that's fine, but when they're not particularly well-written nor do they concentrate on the music itself but rather the scene surrounding it, that's the difference.

Last edited by holden; 10-30-2007 at 10:48 AM.