Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

View Poll Results: Do you feel guilty about downloading OwB?
No 31 83.78%
Undecided 6 16.22%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-03-2007, 11:00 AM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

Do you feel guilty about downloading OwB?
well, do ya? huh?
Old 10-03-2007, 11:10 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Re: Do you feel guilty about downloading OwB?
nope. i should but i dont. its a sign of the times. i had also pre-ordered the DVD package and usually end up buying more copies of the album and singles than is even necessary so i sleep well at night.

i DO feel guilty sharing it, so im more of the leecher kind. I downloaded it, but removed it from my share folder.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:12 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
I thought Scott said we'd leave the philosophy of whether or not to download the leaked copy alone.
Although, i guess if you've already made your decision to DL (and not pay), you can justify the guilt away however you want.

Patiently awaiting Oct. 16th for my preorder to arrive
i'm not ruining my UW Christmas in October
Old 10-03-2007, 12:21 PM
qirex
mouseman

Downloading simply to hear the album before it comes out isn't bad at all. If anything, it should be flattering to the band that we want to hear the music that bad. I pre-oredered OWB the second it was available but I was just to anxious to hear the new music. If people are going to DL and not pay, that's their own business. The way I see it....if I DL and like it, I buy it to show support.
The guilty ones should be the ones who DL, enjoy it, and not buy.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:21 PM
Butcher of Bakersfield
videobutcher

no, because i didn't download the thing.

how does it feel to not be a real fan?

*ohhh, that's cold!*

Last edited by Butcher of Bakersfield; 10-03-2007 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:22 PM
negative1

yeah, but it gets tricky when the material isn't available to buy [easily]
(not in this case), although what about that extra track on the japanese
version, or extra tracks on the japanese Itunes, etc...promo mixes..etc..
Old 10-03-2007, 12:33 PM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

ask this on another forum and yeah well its a different issue, but i seriously think that most people here will buy it regardless of downloading it

the thing is that the people who download stuff just for the sake of downloading stuff tend not to have been the one or are the ones who go out and buy anyway...

its the same issue with people watching pirate copies of movies and the movie companies saying its casuing a decline in cinema going, well these people never went to the movies anyway..

i have no issue with downloading it personally because i have bought it already...
Old 10-03-2007, 12:43 PM
negative1

also, if i did feel guilty,
why isn't there an option to say yes?

because i would be too guilty to vote yes?

Old 10-03-2007, 12:43 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden
Although, i guess if you've already made your decision to DL (and not pay), you can justify the guilt away however you want.

Patiently awaiting Oct. 16th for my preorder to arrive
i'm not ruining my UW Christmas in October
1. who said anything about not paying? i've already paid for 3 diff. versions of this album. if you're posting to the Underworld message boards, the odds are good you're enough of a fan to buy their albums.

2. ruining? you're implying that those who have heard it already have ruined the experience or something. that's ridiculous. i'm thrilled. i haven't had this much fun walking to and from work, or listening to music at work since the Cocoon broadcast. i waited to hear the album until it leaked on thursday. that build up of 5 years was more than sufficient for me to take extreme pleasure and satisfaction in listening to Oblivion with Bells right now! i don't think waiting 2 weeks would have made a difference in my enjoyment of the album. not one time in the past 5 or 6 years have i ever wished i'd waited to hear an album that i downloaded. not one time!

but it's all about the "EXPERIENCE", the opening of the package, reading the liner notes, cutting out the pictures from Teen Beat.

alternately, its about seeing a post on a message board, logging into your fav. torrent site, see the album you've been waiting to leak finally being shared, download immediately, watch with your heart pounding as the progress bar successfully reveals with each passing second more and more bits of data coming together in that newly created folder, piecing together the sounds you've waiting 5 long years to hear. you see a link to a high quailty jpg. you flip through the tour book you bought at one of the recent live shows. actually several times larger than the cd booklet. you follow links to reviews and message board discussions already occuring with the hundreds who already downloaded while you were sleeping. they're 3 pages into a discussion about the album already so you better catch up. since you don't have to rip the audio to mp3 you just stick it on your media player of choice and begin listening non-stop. you join the conversation that's already in full flow. you participate in dissecting the album, the artwork, diff. versions etc.

by the time those holier than thou, moral stewards have had their albums delivered or purchased from the shops, the discussion has died down and there's a seperate thread for the 3 people to repeat whats been discussed and rehashed for weeks already.

enjoy.

Last edited by BrotherLovesDub; 10-03-2007 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:46 PM
negative1

just to say 'hear hear' to brotherlovesdub...

but what about those people in japan that are getting it early?
should they wait until everyone else in the world gets it before
talking about it?

whats the line from 'serenity'?

you can't stop the signal..