Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:10 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

Ralph Lawson/Darren Emerson
Great bit of inside scoop from 20/20 Vision house legend, Ralph Lawson at Resident Advisor right now. Of particular interest to this forum is this story about being on the same flight as Darren Emerson:

Quote:
As I'm packing up the next day my phone rings, it's Darren Emerson. He's seen his itinerary and I'm on the same flight as him to Australia, so he's ringing to arrange meeting up at Heathrow. I'm travelling economy but he's in upper class so he offers to get me into the lounge. I'm still nervous about getting off the ground from Manchester Airport but we take off on time and I make it down to Heathrow. It's chaos down there and I very nearly get bumped off the flight, as it's so full. Darren is ringing me from the lounge and sounds worse for wear already. I eventually make it there, but by now I'm late so he's drunk most of the bar himself.

He is holding court right in the middle of the counter with four bar staff round him and a good few empties. He's got his laptop out and is DJing from his iTunes. The Lounge is massive and very flash; it looks like the reception of a Dubai hotel. I'm fairly certain that the suited and manicured clientele are cursing us and quietly wondering if they can claim compensation from the airline. Darren's on a roll, though, and he orders free champagne so it would be rude not to get involved.

That's my excuse anyway.

Finally it's time to get on board and after a million goodbyes and "I love you guys," we swerve off to the flight. Darren is one of the best guys I have ever met in house music. I see him on the flight one more time when he comes back to try to blag me into the stand up bar in first class. Unfortunately, as I'm packing up to go he drops his glass, which smashes all over the floor by my seat into a trillion tiny shards. The hostesses whisk him away and we clear up the mess to the best of our ability, but the spilt wine stinks. As I look at the glittering slithers every time I sit down, I question my earlier comments about Darren!
http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1208
Old 02-04-2011, 05:00 AM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

Re: Ralph Lawson/Darren Emerson
so wait...

he got drunk and played his iTunes LOUDLY in a public space
then caused a scene in an airplane...

Even though - I'm sure it wasn't the point of the story (like it was to be more of "gee ain't he a great guy") but to me... he just sounds like a dick
Old 02-04-2011, 08:51 AM
//\/\/
slogging it out

Re: Ralph Lawson/Darren Emerson
Quote:
Originally Posted by joethelion View Post
but to me... he just sounds like a dick
me too - grade A twat behaviour