Dirty Forums > underworld.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2010, 04:07 PM
m.g.
teh n00b

Re: The Ethics of Stream Rips
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor View Post
This time around I plan to buy everything I can from Underworld. I didn't get much of the special edition stuff from Bells... I regret that. I think the stream rip would only excite me, and keep me from having a mental snap while waiting for the new album. I will buy the Itunes edition of Roundhouse for sure when it's available; if it's available to me in the US. For me, having gig rips is only part of the UW experience, and definitely doesn't hinder me from purchasing material from them. I want it all....
This is exactly how I think...
Old 07-18-2010, 08:32 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

I don't doubt that most of the people posting in this thread will buy the EP when it is released; that's not what I'm worried about. But what about all the lurkers that don't post? Or the visitors that don't even register for an account? Or the people who repost it on music forums or torrent sites?

And I don't buy the quality argument either, because these days you have kids throwing 128 Kbps MP3's on their iPods who think they sound just like the CD. Do you honestly believe that posting the whole stream for free download won't cost a single sale on the EP? And regardless of what the revenue split is, a lost EP sale is still money out of Underworld's pocket.

I'm not saying don't post the stream here. I'm saying, don't post the tracks that are going to be available for sale. And since we don't know which tracks are going to be on the EP, I think we need to wait. Once that is known, I say fair game on the rest of the show.

I'm also not saying we need to fight Underworld's battles, but as their devoted fans, don't you think we should be a bit respectful? I know we want everything now now now, but is it really that hard to wait a week or two until the EP tracklist is known?
Old 07-18-2010, 09:43 PM
testudo
JunkiesCriminalsFugitives

Location: The international territory and the mighty infamous
I miss the days when all live stuff was free to roam where it wanted to... oh i miss the days...
Old 07-19-2010, 01:55 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
I don't doubt that most of the people posting in this thread will buy the EP when it is released; that's not what I'm worried about. But what about all the lurkers that don't post? Or the visitors that don't even register for an account? Or the people who repost it on music forums or torrent sites?
i see your point, and we have had RTSR for live collectors with a membership as authentication. But i'm not against the distribution of this live recording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBang
I'm also not saying we need to fight Underworld's battles, but as their devoted fans, don't you think we should be a bit respectful? I know we want everything now now now, but is it really that hard to wait a week or two until the EP tracklist is known?
erm... people really dont like to wait Its hard enough waiting until september for the album!
Old 07-19-2010, 02:22 AM
Flywaver
vision

We all live in the 'Must Have World...'
Take the iphone4. On release a mate queued for 5 hours after doing night shift.....
10 days later i picked it up straight away... Ok Apple have there issues with it right now although my phone is fine with this reception issue.
If a Stream comes on here and i miss it. So be it. The iTunes EP comes out when i trek abroad. But im a patient Underworld padawan....
Ive got plenty of faith in Underworld and im sure ill be barking about Barking!
All my favourite bands seem to be the ones who have a fair old gap between albums.But they are craftsman after a timeless release...BELIEVE! (and relax ;o))
Old 07-19-2010, 02:26 AM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

its not like this wasn't broadcast live and the fact that someone else might have ripped it (not on this forum) and posted on line

i say its a free for all...

i mean how many you tube vids are out there of this already...

quality matters not, there might be a few people on here who want it in top quality mp3 / wav etc, but i bet the majority of music being listened to and downloaded these days is relatively 'shit' quality... but the 'kids' don't care - its not a reason to distribute shit quality but i bet 95% of internet downloaders are not audiophiles, i mean there's a market for camera recorded cinema movies... those who will buy will buy regardless...
Old 07-19-2010, 04:09 AM
Dirty0900
Only £50 a show,book now.

This was broadcast live to the world so in thoery UW could have said no filming for new material etc. With gigs like this, I don't see the harm in getting ripped files, however I am buying the EP.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:24 AM
ThingInABook
vision

i would love to buy the EP, i'm still a record buyer and, even if i download albums/tracks, i still purchase 70-90% of what i've downloaded. however, the itunes regional restriction is one of the things preventing me from getting exclusives and streams and that's extremely maddening.

i do have a partial bootleg from the roundhouse gig, but reading about rick mastering the EP in today's blog entry, made me want the official recording.

if u/w has an online portal like their website, they should release these things like they did with the riveruns. some people, like casual listeners, go to itunes, because it's just like a supermarket. in my personal case, i go directly to the source, that being the official website.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:44 AM
Spooky Shoes
Sole Man

I'd buy a lossless version direct from UW but I won't buy MP3's from iTunes and I won't resort to other methods.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:58 AM
DoctorRad
mouseman

Bottom line: did anyone get a rip of the full stream and are they going to make it public anywhere? I for one would use it to decide whether I like the performance enough to warrant buying the Live EP.