Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:34 PM
cacophony
disquietude

Re: Scribble - New Single
but i say that as someone who thought "but not tonight" was the best track off of depeche mode's black celebration, when everybody knows it was a throwaway b-side. i guess i like to see the contentedness and exhilaration of my favorite artists.

Last edited by stimpee; 05-14-2010 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Copied cacophony's bit about But Not Tonight to the new thread
Old 05-13-2010, 06:48 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacophony View Post

but i say that as someone who thought "but not tonight" was the best track off of depeche mode's black celebration,
But Not Tonight is the best thing on Black Celebration! The extended mix on the single is even better.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:50 PM
cacophony
disquietude

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherLovesDub View Post
But Not Tonight is the best thing on Black Celebration! The extended mix on the single is even better.
agreed.

i'm a recovering depechaholic. don't get me started.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:25 AM
bryantm3
It's Written In The Book!

uggg guys, 'but not tonight' is awful. i hated that the cassette i got had that on it, i want to use a magnet and scrape it off. the last song is 'new dress'.

Last edited by stimpee; 05-14-2010 at 02:35 AM. Reason: removed references to scribble
Old 05-14-2010, 02:10 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Depeche Mode - But Not Tonight
After some ramblings by cacophony and BLD on the UW/Scribble thread, i thought i'd write something about this underrated tune. I wouldnt go as far as saying its my favourite tune on Black Celebration (that could be Stripped, or even the song Black Celebration, but is in fact Fly On The Windscreen). Theres so much quality on BC that I dont know how anyone can say that BNT is the best tune on the album.

Firstly, its not even ON the album. It was a B-side to stripped.
Secondly, the muppets at Sire records in the USA decided to promote it to the A-side because it was used in some bloody awful teen film that tanked in 1986. Modern Girls, i think. I have seen it, its truly vacuous.
and Thirdly, its a throwaway tune. Very poppy, accessible. Goes against the whole feeling of the album. Which is dark.

I do like the tune but the lyrics are bit naff, and as I said, it doesnt fit in with the rest of the album, you can tell its been added onto the end as an afterthought. Sire thought the movie would be a hit in the vein of Pretty In Pink or The Breakfast Club and it wasnt. DM paid the price for this.

If you do like the song though, amazingly there are 5 official versions. Two versions of the "extended version" and 3 of the seven inch. Good luck in finding them.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:45 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacophony
i'm a recovering depechaholic. don't get me started.
oh come on. you know you want to.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:04 AM
//\/\/
slogging it out

Re: Depeche Mode - But Not Tonight
the title should have 'josephine' on the end
Old 05-14-2010, 04:26 AM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by //\/\/ View Post
the title should have 'josephine' on the end

thanks for the input ian
Old 05-14-2010, 06:17 AM
taoyoyo
cosmic jogger

Have to agree with BSS and Cacophony... 'But not tonight' is a bit of a classic. Yes the lyrics are slightly cheap and the tune is a bit more 'a-ha'-esque than usual but it does have that 'I've had a really shit day but I feel much happier after listening to that track' kinda appeal?

(And I prefer it to anything I've heard off of the last two albums).
Old 05-14-2010, 07:05 AM
cacophony
disquietude

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpee View Post
Firstly, its not even ON the album. It was a B-side to stripped. ...and Thirdly, its a throwaway tune. Very poppy, accessible. Goes against the whole feeling of the album. Which is dark.
well yeah, i already said that, didn't i?

black celebration is a great album, don't get me wrong. but you can hear the struggle and fracture in it. the album nearly broke the band and it's a wonder they survived to put out so many more albums (although their dysfunctional interpersonal relationships don't seem to have improved). part of what makes the album good is the palpable struggle, but it definitely moves so far to the dark end of the catalog that it's a heavy body of work. and let's not ignore total boner tracks "dressed in black" and "new dress" that are almost embarrassingly bad. it's a flawed album with some moments of pure musical innovation, but it struggles to keep its momentum and at times feels like it's trying too hard.

what i like about "but not tonight" is that it doesn't try. it's a total fluff throwaway, and regardless of what happened in the aftermath with the record label promoting it and trying to use it to break into teen pop, they wrote and produced it and something at the time told them it was worth putting out for the world to hear. there's a sentiment in the song that at the time of writing simply needed to be shared and the simplicity and joy of it are such a relief after listening through the grimace and glower of the rest of the album.

personally i've always gravitated towards the b-sides because there's usually a lighter hand and a departure from the rest of the album that's refreshing. "sea of sin," "happiest girl," "death's door," "surrender," "ice machine," "route 66," and "pleasure little treasure" are some of my favorites because they're such a break from the context of the album during which they were released.

hell, i'm listening to "(set me free) remotivate me" right now and it's a total throwaway candy pop track that i really like.

i guess i like bands for their sound, and appreciate them more when they don't sound like themselves. which usually means b-sides.