Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 09-12-2005, 05:48 AM
*_*
Hommeestunepassioninutile

UW & WaxTrax!
a few posts in the Headset forum have me wondering...

...how many of us became UW fans through buying WaxTrax releases in the early/mid '90s?

that's how i got dirty.

edit: i guess this really only pertains to US dirts.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:35 AM
Scott Warner
delicious candy taster

Send a message via AIM to Scott Warner
Re: UW & WaxTrax!
The earliest days of the Dirtylist (our old mailing list) was comprised largely of Brits who found UW through the clubs, Americans who found Underworld through Wax Trax! (particularly that one Wax Trax! comp with "Dirty Epic" leading off) and people globally who had seen 'Trainspotting'.

It was often funny to read the exchanges that would come from Wax Trax! fans listing off their favorites: "I like Underworld, Liabach, Ministry, Frontline Assembly, Leather Strip, etc." Club kid response: "WTF?"
Old 09-12-2005, 06:49 AM
kissmywound
river

Yep, first time I heard Underworld was the Wax Trax sampler called "Afterburn" with "Dirty Epic" on it. I remember listening to it and being stunned since I had never heard anything like it before. I played it to a bunch of friends and they all had the same response.

In fact that mix CD led me to another good band, Psykosonik. Looking back, that sure was a good purchase!!
Old 09-12-2005, 07:17 AM
lloyd
bungalow

I knew wax trax by collecting EBM/industrial. And I think it was before I knew underworld. I went to all musicstores that had lots of import (aka US) stuff. Best then was to go to Antwerp of Koln, large stores with lots of alternative music.
I still cherish the WAx Trax Black Box after all these years and tend to annoy my coworkers with it.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:45 AM
*_*
Hommeestunepassioninutile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Warner
It was often funny to read the exchanges that would come from Wax Trax! fans listing off their favorites: "I like Underworld, Liabach, Ministry, Frontline Assembly, Leather Strip, etc." Club kid response: "WTF?"
that's what i figured.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:58 AM
the mongoose
talks to God

yeah, Psykosonik was my first Wax Trax cd........didn't help me discover UW though.

"the Best of Rave vol. 1" was my first UW..... but when I got 2nd Toughest on a whim from a music store employee's suggestion.....I did notice it was on Wax Trax right away.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:29 PM
crank
I'm a big sister

Oddly,
and I didn't know it until MUCH later, but my first experience came through SIRE/ Reprise complilations, the JUST SAY... comps. Early Underworld next to Depeche Mode,etc.

crank!
Old 09-12-2005, 12:41 PM
ndrwrld
blue

i also had the black box set.....fantastic.
till someone stole if from my house during a party.
i'll kill em.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:54 PM
dubnobasswithme
koob!

yup. i also was picking up underworld cds along with kmfdm and psykosonik ones. in fact, my cd collection purchasing was almost 100% wax trax for a year there. . .

uw0006
Old 09-12-2005, 04:26 PM
sloff
that's mista mouseman

Yup I was one of those WAX TRAX! listeners too. I still have the mail in card with all the WAX TRAX! artists listed on it in my Dubnobass.... jewel case.
I was also that kid in black when I started going to see DJs and exploring the dance scene a bit more.
I have to rate Underworld and Skinny Puppy (I know not a WAX TRAX! artist but the style is the point) as my two big musical loves. Plenty of WAX TRAX! stuff in my collection, even have a well worn long sleave tee.

Its kind of too bad to think about how TVT ran the label into the ground.