BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

Re: New Order Drama
What Do You Want From Me
Crystal
Primitive Notion
Here To Stay
----

i personally love all of WFTSC and most of Get Ready but i highlight those tracks because i feel like those are as strong as any other songs in the New Order cataloge.

your criticism is treading water. what band that's been active for 25+ years doesn't tread water? i just find that to be a very weak critique of a band who's well into their 50s. what do you expcet them to do?
Old 08-03-2007, 04:02 PM
kowalski__
mouseman

its also very important that people are still buying their records.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:04 PM
koisk

I like Get Ready, but not as a NO record. There are some great tracks on that album, but if you listen to these songs and compare them with their younger catalog it feels worlds apart. I kind of feel the same way about Republic - I really like that album, but it's not thier best. Post-True Faith New Order are really a different band - they are more polished and upbeat, more pop less art. Take that as you will but I perfer the earlier stuff.

Perhaps they jumped the shark at 'World in Motion' (excluding 'Reget')?

I would have to argue that the best Electronic song is 'Disappointed' which is bascially a PSB song, but I really love the PSB. Actually the Electronic songs I like the best are the ones with Neil Tennant. I still haven't listened to the other Electronic albums, Revenge, or The Other Two, but I can't imagine they would be all that good (someone yell at me if I'm wrong here).
Old 08-03-2007, 09:38 PM
Scott Warner
delicious candy taster

Send a message via AIM to Scott Warner
Quote:
your criticism is treading water. what band that's been active for 25+ years doesn't tread water? i just find that to be a very weak critique of a band who's well into their 50s. what do you expcet them to do?
So just because the band has been active for 25 years I should somehow adjust my personal taste to align with records I don't like? Prince has been making records since the late 70's, was in my opinion was as rock solid or more so than New Order well into the early 90s, and now too does not seem to create music I like anymore - should I like his new music now simply because his track record suggests that I should find a way to like what he's doing?

Last I checked liking music was about how listening to it made me feel, end of story. At least, that's how I evaluate music. Me saying "I don't like it" might not be the most informative description of why I don't like their music but that's the way it is - when I hear "Krafty", while I think it's a decent pop song I certainly don't get moved like I did or do when I hear "The Perfect Kiss", and when I hear "Jetstream" all I can think of is detatched, rich musicians listening to and getting inspired by the most boring, inoffensive house music on an airplane music channel.
Quote:
Perhaps they jumped the shark at 'World in Motion' (excluding 'Reget')?
I think it happened a few years after that but "World in Motion" was definitely the tipping point. Maybe it meant something more to someone living in the UK but outside of that World Cup fever, hearing that song for the first time was like "Isn't this just kind of silly? Is this the same group?"

Last edited by Scott Warner; 08-04-2007 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:52 AM
kowalski__
mouseman

well i always thought they never had a problem about looking silly. like PSB doing latin album or neil young doing old school country records. i think they invented this joke (singles like world in motion, true faith or spooky) ages before irony become "cool" in pop music. :-) some artists tries to ridicule themselves to not to drown in their own seriousness.

most of the "hype"/"non hype" dance/rock acts of today are still stealing/ripping off chords from new order. from justice to bloc party, editors to interpol, scissor sisters to fischerspooner, chemicals, maps etc. its still hard to beat their legacy.

as a concervative new order fan, i can understand why people like scott warner stop listening them after "tecnique". all the those early 12 inches and albums... i mean, they were the best band for almost two decades. but songs like "special", "everyone everywhere", "prodigal son", "make it happen", "run wild", "primitive notion", "crystal" or "here to stay" meant something else to some people.

although i'm quite emotional about new order these days. i was watching sofia coppola's "marie antoinette", there is a scene where antoinette partying all night at the palace, chilling out in garden with her friends. we are listening "ceremony" while suns coming up, knowing that this could be the last sunrise she'll ever see. that scene remind me the story of new order.

i'm happy that they got older gracefully.

l love them.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:47 AM
Ally
Henreeeeeeeeeecat! :)

Send a message via MSN to Ally
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Warner
So just because the band has been active for 25 years I should somehow adjust my personal taste to align with records I don't like? Prince has been making records since the late 70's, was in my opinion was as rock solid or more so than New Order well into the early 90s, and now too does not seem to create music I like anymore - should I like his new music now simply because his track record suggests that I should find a way to like what he's doing?

Last I checked liking music was about how listening to it made me feel, end of story. At least, that's how I evaluate music. Me saying "I don't like it" might not be the most informative description of why I don't like their music but that's the way it is - when I hear "Krafty", while I think it's a decent pop song I certainly don't get moved like I did or do when I hear "The Perfect Kiss", and when I hear "Jetstream" all I can think of is detachted, rich musicians listening to and getting inspired by the most boring, inoffensive house music on a airplane music channel.
I think it happened a few years after that but "World in Motion" was definitely the tipping point. Maybe it meant something more to someone living in the UK but outside of that World Cup fever, hearing that song for the first time was like "Isn't this just kind of silly? Is this the same group?"
Oooh, Ssssss
Old 08-04-2007, 01:12 PM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

Quote:

I hear what you are saying, but to put it simply; considering the back catalogue of certain artists that had their 15 years of fame, there's usually a gem or two of music in their output that makes it all worthwhile. When an artist is beaucoup rich from their glory of yester years' output (which, in and of itself, the music becomes timeless), it's nice to see artists taking chances on what sounds good to the artists themselves. Who knows? Some of us may realize what sounds (insert derrogatory explicative of your choice here) today, becomes more influencial and soulfilled than originally thought.

Last edited by jOHN rODRIGUEZ; 08-04-2007 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:52 PM
taoyoyo
cosmic jogger

i still think 'get ready' was the last great new order album. i don't think it was as 'edgy' as earlier new order albums but the quality of the songs was more consistent than 'republic' (4 great singles and filler). i get the same shivers down the back with 'crystal' as i did with 'all the way' from 'technique'.

'here to stay' and 'krafty' were both great singles in the n.o. tradition but for me there were only a couple of decent tracks on 'waiting for the sirens call'. most of it had the same filler vibe as 'republic'.

i don't really mind if it's time for new order to stop making music. i just think that despite barney's 'drunk uncle at a wedding' dancing (and overdone whooping), hooky's increasingly annoying 'i'm foooking ard me' persona and the absence of gillian they have still made some great music since reforming.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:02 PM
crank
I'm a big sister

Quote:
Certainly some of you are following the public falling out between Peter Hook and the rest of the band.

Peter Hook on MySpace

I especially love his comment on how you can find the Electronic record real cheap in bargin bins. Hey Peter, that two quid for the Electronic best of is about 200x what you'd get for any of your Revenge "music".
Yeah, but i really did like that Monaco record. (or at least half of it)
crank