Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > process.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:23 PM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

how to make red+blue 3d images?
I guess my thread before got lost

basically - how much do the layers of color have to be offset for it to work?

and is it basically just red layer / black / blue?
Old 03-17-2008, 06:58 PM
lectoid
Is that really you?

Re: how to make red+blue 3d images?
And I replied to it too, but that was lost also.

http://features.engadget.com/2004/08...ke-3-d-photos/
Old 03-17-2008, 10:47 PM
pafufta816
mouseman

Send a message via AIM to pafufta816
odd that you ask this, i've made a few images myself. typically when creating an anaglyph you'll use a combo of red/cyan(blue+yellow) to achieve a full color spectrum when the viewer is seeing it with glasses. other color combos can be used, but not with as much color accuracy in the final image.

what you will be doing is taking a photo of the same subject, but in 2 slightly different angles. this way when you wear the glasses, both eyes will be seeing 2 different images that are in 2 different color tints of the same object, and you're brain will put the rest together (combining the colors and 3d information). to make a succesful image (one that has a great illusion of depth and also an accurate color representation) you will want to play around quite a bit to get a feel of it.

in photoshop i will adjust the color of the red (right eye) and cyan (left eye) channel shadows and highlights , but not touching the mid range colors. i find that it gives the end picture a much better representation of the colors in the photos. to get a good illusion of depth i will try and take as many possible photos of the subject as possible in multiple angels, this way i can choose which images will create the desired 3d effect and color.

using a tripod makes the whole process very easy, simply snap a photo of a non-moving object, rotate the camera a matter of a few degrees, and then take another photo. doing it by hand is inaccurate as the slight movements you make between the 2 photos can destroy the 3d effect you might attain with the image. using an image editor like photoshop you can overlay the images, and then color filter the left most angled shot to be mostly cyan and the right in red. after that i play with the alignment of the photos, the closest object in the image will align between both angles of the image.

it's a finnicky process, my main interest in it was just the challenge of figuring out how. not too hard though, lots of great info about it on wikipedia.org , just look up Anaglyph
Old 03-18-2008, 11:34 AM
joethelion

thanks for the links, I'm out of town right now - but will definitely check them out when I get back tomorrow

and I definitely have to use two offset (original) images? I can't just use one source image?

I was hoping to make a drawing I did into a 3d image
Old 03-20-2008, 10:22 PM
pafufta816
mouseman

Send a message via AIM to pafufta816
well now there's a HUGE difference between rendering 3d images and anaglyphs. an anaglyph is a 3d image that requires the proper glasses to view, and creates an optical illusion giving the image depth and dimension.

if you want to take a single image and make a 3d design out of it you'll really just have to take some classes on it. that kind of editing requires knowing how to use certain software, and it's not something you can just guess how to do.

if u want to make a drawing into 3d i'd suggest playing around in google's freeware 3d software SketchUp. you probably can't render a hand drawing with that program, but it's a great place to start. after you get the feel of that you could research other possibilities.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:17 PM
joethelion

ok - a bit of a misunderstanding...

I don't mean creating an image in 3d perspective... that I can do - trust me. I should expect to be able to at least do that after taking years of art classes

haven't any of you guys ever purchased one of those 3D comics?

Kinda like this image:
http://freshindustrie.com/blog/wp-co...ay-barf-3d.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pafufta816
well now there's a HUGE difference between rendering 3d images and anaglyphs. an anaglyph is a 3d image that requires the proper glasses to view, and creates an optical illusion giving the image depth and dimension.

if you want to take a single image and make a 3d design out of it you'll really just have to take some classes on it. that kind of editing requires knowing how to use certain software, and it's not something you can just guess how to do.

if u want to make a drawing into 3d i'd suggest playing around in google's freeware 3d software SketchUp. you probably can't render a hand drawing with that program, but it's a great place to start. after you get the feel of that you could research other possibilities.

Last edited by joethelion; 03-22-2008 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:23 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Cool stuff, guys! Definitely a lot of potential still to be discovered in 3D art.