SystematicallyDisadsomthg

Tropic Thunder
http://www.imdb.com/news/ns0000002/#ni0548841

hmmmmmmm . . .

Old 08-11-2008, 11:12 AM
Sean
Where in the world...?

Re: Tropic Thunder
Yeah....because that's what we want. Movies that are so ridiculously sterile that they contain nothing that might possibly offend anyone in any way. I feel inspired already.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:54 PM
Caprice
pants

Robert D. J. is amazing. i saw it tonight. hilarious. he deserves an oscar. honestly
Old 08-14-2008, 03:27 AM
IsiliRunite
de la Michigan

Send a message via AIM to IsiliRunite
This movie has lots to offend lots...

Its not raunchy, but its certainly not "sterile".

I enjoyed it
Old 08-23-2008, 08:03 AM
the mongoose
talks to God

So fucking funny!!!

Best comedy I've seen in years.....it's destined to be an instant cult classic. The people who are upset at this movie probably haven't even seen it themselves to judge.

Go see it now.....seriously, put your shoes on and head to the theater right now!
Old 08-24-2008, 07:02 PM
gillenium

Was surprisingly good. I don't like Ben Stiller or anything he's ever done... but this was great! Just when I thought Hollywood didn't know how to do parody... and it's a parody of Hollywood! Amazing.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:36 PM
potatobroth
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mongoose View Post
So fucking funny!!!

Best comedy I've seen in years.....it's destined to be an instant cult classic. The people who are upset at this movie probably haven't even seen it themselves to judge.
The people who are upset about this movie don't need to see it themselves to understand the concepts they are upset about. First I'd like to point a few things out: 1. I have not seen this. 2. Boycotts are stupid. 3. I think jokes like this are lazy and definitely not deliberately mean.

Rick Peck [McConaughey], seems to have a child who is in some way disabled. In one scene the child stands beside his father, who’s talking on the phone and says, “At least you get to pick him,” referring to adoption.

As the uncle of a child with autism, and having known quite a few families with autistic children, I don't know what more they could get out of this movie by seeing it for themselves. Trust me when I say they are well aware of the perception of their children by people that have no association with the condition. Sure asking for a boycott is stupid but that doesn't mean they can't display their annoyance at it. To me, the jokes aren't there to be mean. Its just a result of lazy writing. "Retard will get a laugh, so I'll just hammer it home."

Knowing why these parents are upset should be a no-brainer. Put yourself in their position for even a few moments and you'll start to understand how jokes like that can come across as horrible horrible things. Imagine you have a child with autism, and he/she are shunned from school systems, called names, misunderstood, treated as second-class citizens and then think about the comment that McConaughey made above and tell me that isn't hurtful? And before y'all comment with what I know is coming (:P) comedy doesn't have to be "nice". Comedy can be nice, and comedy can be mean. But to just dismiss it as Sean or the mongoose have just done just emphasizes what parents of handicapped children have to deal with each and everyday.

Last edited by potatobroth; 08-25-2008 at 06:36 AM.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:19 PM
Sean
Where in the world...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatobroth View Post
The people who are upset about this movie don't need to see it themselves to understand the concepts they are upset about. First I'd like to point a few things out: 1. I have not seen this. 2. Boycotts are stupid. 3. I think jokes like this are lazy and definitely not deliberately mean.

Rick Peck [McConaughey], seems to have a child who is in some way disabled. In one scene the child stands beside his father, who’s talking on the phone and says, “At least you get to pick him,” referring to adoption.

As the uncle of a child with autism, and having known quite a few families with autistic children, I don't know what more they could get out of this movie by seeing it for themselves. Trust me when I say they are well aware of the perception of their children by people that have no association with the condition. Sure asking for a boycott is stupid but that doesn't mean they can't display their annoyance at it. To me, the jokes aren't there to be mean. Its just a result of lazy writing. "Retard will get a laugh, so I'll just hammer it home."

Knowing why these parents are upset should be a no-brainer. Put yourself in their position for even a few moments and you'll start to understand how jokes like that can come across as horrible horrible things. Imagine you have a child with autism, and he/she are shunned from school systems, called names, misunderstood, treated as second-class citizens and then think about the comment that McConaughey made above and tell me that isn't hurtful? And before y'all comment with what I know is coming (:P) comedy doesn't have to be "nice". Comedy can be nice, and comedy can be mean. But to just dismiss it as Sean or the mongoose have just done just emphasizes what parents of handicapped children have to deal with each and everyday.
Just saw it last night, and thought it was fantastic. They certainly weren't going for p.c., but I can say with certainty that I believe the critics who haven't seen it are wrong.

Maybe I misread it, but McConaughey's son didn't appear to me to have any disabilities, mental or physical. He just looked kind of goofy, like the apple fell pretty far from the tree sort of thing. The only part that involved "retards" was when (not a spoiler) Stiller's character - an action movie actor - was talking with Downey Jr.'s character about the one serious role he had played, which was in a "Gilbert Grape" type of movie. And yes, the word "retard" was used about 50 times in that conversation, but frankly, it only made their characters seem that much more like the vacant, self-absorbed Hollywood stars they were portraying.

Anyway, nothing worthy of the scorn I've seen directed towards it.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:47 PM
the mongoose
talks to God

Thanks Sean. What I felt like saying but was too lazy to type. If you're easily offended and don't like Naked Gun/Hot Shots/Blazing Saddles style movies....if might not be up your alley. But if you are a little open minded you'll fucking die laughing at "Simple Jack".