Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > treatment.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2008, 04:37 PM
grady
fac321

Wall-E
Anyone seen it yet?

I'm off to see it this evening in it's completed form. Last October, a test screening of the film was conducted in Portland and I was lucking enough to attend. The film was marvelous then even though only being 80% complete and I can only imagine what the completed film is like now.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:59 PM
gillenium

Re: Wall-E
I can not overstate how great this movie is. Easily the best thing ever made by humans.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:10 AM
grady
fac321

I just got back from seeing it completed and can't overstate enough how great this film is, especially the first 45 minutes or so.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:32 AM
viddy
pro tooler

Send a message via AIM to viddy
I can see why the couple of reviewers out of a thousand didn't like the movie; the movie's somewhat force-fed commentary on humans, consumerism, and how we're killing the environment.

Besides that it's was truly excellent. You can tell they spent a lot of time putting a lot of detail into the film. I just love the way Wall-e moves around sometimes. That alone makes me smile. I must say that Pixar is really awesome for making a film without any dialogue for nearly the first 40 minutes. This truly speaks to the genius work of sound designer Ben Burtt.

A 97% on Rotten Tomatoes!!!

Last edited by viddy; 06-30-2008 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:31 AM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

i think the qualities of this movie could be overstated, like how anyone hypes a movie too much and their friends arent as impressed as they thought they should have been.
but its probably the most adorable movie i've ever seen. and the whole 'environment-conscious' thing could be ham-fisted, or it could just be geared towards small kids. this whole movie actually seemed geared much more to the children instead of the overall family, jokes-for-everyone film... which was actually kind of nice.
with this and ratatouille, pixar are on the biggest upswing yet after the middling 'cars' and 'finding nemo'
Old 06-30-2008, 11:59 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubman View Post
with this and ratatouille, pixar are on the biggest upswing yet after the middling 'cars' and 'finding nemo'
You are on crack. Finding Nemo is incredible.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:00 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatobroth View Post
You are on crack. Finding Nemo is incredible.
bleh. worst movie from them imo
Old 07-01-2008, 06:23 AM
gillenium

Most of the people giving it bad reviews are the ones who think it's "too dark" or is too heavy-handed.... how so? I think everything in the future of Wall-E is very possible. I don't think it's ham-fisted to show us our future.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:28 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubman View Post
bleh. worst movie from them imo
I'm going to see Wall-E this weekend. So sans Mr. E. I would put Finding Nemo as my favorite Pixar flick just above Monsters Inc. I thought Incredibles was quite good, but at the same time quite boring - thats not entirely true, but I'm not sure how to describe it any other way. I'm also not looking at this from a social commentary angle, just from overall story, look, and fun.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:56 AM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillenium View Post
Most of the people giving it bad reviews are the ones who think it's "too dark" or is too heavy-handed.... how so? I think everything in the future of Wall-E is very possible. I don't think it's ham-fisted to show us our future.
spoilers maybe:

all things said, i think it's a pretty facile depiction. possible or not, i dont think the entirety of the human race ever would be so uniform as to have a global CEO and all look/eat/wear the same things. when the first woman to get her screen turned off looks around, she immediately registers amazement and appreciation, which might come after being scared and confused, except that this is a kids movie, and moreso than the other pixar movies, and the mentalities are sped up a bit to be useful for kids in that moment. the captains monologue is probably the prime (haha) example of beating everyone over the head with the message, and it's all amazingly clear-headed after a few decades of mind-numbing routine. but thats okay since i think a lot of adults are expecting pixar movies to be more for them each time, and they occasionally get back to having just the kids in mind (like cars).

it really doesnt bug me since i'd be perfectly content watching two hours of the little guy collecting his random things and stalking eve.

as far as movie rankings, i'd put this one as finally besting Monsters Inc. and taking top spot. you could have taken a pic of me in the movie theater that i'd be vaguely embarrassed about; i was completely carried away, i got really attatched and basically became a little kid again. the incredibles would rank 3 and ratatouille 4. and toy story 2 would round out 5th.

i'll tell you what would go over kids heads though: http://buynlarge.com/

wtf.

Last edited by dubman; 07-01-2008 at 10:36 AM.