Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2011, 04:04 PM
Strawman
mouseman

Where are the epic tracks?
What I miss about the new uw material is the long, epic songs. Tracks like Juanita/Kiteless/To Dream of Love that are 15 mins long and take you on an epic journey.

Songs that take a while to build up and then come down. To me, ALAF and Diamond Jigsaw should be at least 10 mins long that slowly build up into amazing tracks. They are already great tracks but they build up too fast. Diamond Jigsaw just ends....to me it sounds like it hasn't finished and still has something to 'say'. It has the potential to be as great as rez/cowgirl...

This is what uw had done so well and are still doing to some extent (such as river run series). I know of no other band that does this as well as uw.

This is NOT a complaint as I like the different directions the band has taken and I just go along with it. Just an observation.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:43 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Re: Where are the epic tracks?
In my estimation, for Barking, they made a conscious decision to make it a more traditional (accessible?) "album." All the songs are more traditional song length (4-6 minutes), and have a more traditional song structure, and no mixing of the tracks.

In fact, we know that some of the tracks are longer in their full form. For example, ALAF clocks in at 8:34 in its full form. And appleblim has said that Hamburg Hotel is much longer in its full form. Which confirms what many of us thought when we said it sounded like it was just getting going as it fades out on the album. So I can only assume that it was deliberate calculation to edit and present them as they are.

If you want epic (i.e. long) tracks, you don't have to look back too far. "Peach Tree" is 12.5 minutes, and "Ancient Phat Farm Coat" is almost 20 minutes. Or "Dreeve" and "Van Halen Van Halen" on Bungalow with Stairs. Granted, those are older tracks, but recently released.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:52 AM
crank
I'm a big sister

Yeah, but Peach Tree and APFC haven't ever been released in their full forms?
Old 02-01-2011, 06:20 AM
negative1

yeah, i miss the longer tracks also.

you might want to check out some of the mixes for the songs also..
some are similiar in structure but longer than the album versions..

later
Old 02-01-2011, 07:35 AM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

Peach Tree is on 2 diff. cd singles.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:12 AM
Champiness
Once again the superstar

20-minute Ancient Phat Farm Coat? Am I missing something here?
Old 02-01-2011, 11:36 AM
mark3
pants

It's on the JAL to Tokyo EP on Itunes Japan... yes, Japan only ;-)
Old 02-01-2011, 01:06 PM
Mike
born013

Ive tried so hard to buy it, so many times, but i fail each time. I wish a was Japanese.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:08 PM
deckard236
river

I have tried in vain to get that one as well, I wish they would release it so those of us that don't live in japan can hear it.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:51 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Step-by-step instructions for buying the JAL to Tokyo EP.
(Unfortunately, due to Apple's policy of making 10+ minute tracks "Album Only," you will have to purchase the whole EP to get AFPC).

1. Purchase a 1500 yen iTunes Japan Gift Card. Here are some places you can buy it:
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_npm...All-Categories
http://www.jbox.com/product/ITUNESCARD
http://nihongoperapera.com/buy-itune...giftcards.html
You will redeem the gift card code online to get a 1500 yen credit balance on your iTunes account, so you don't actually need the physical card. Most of the sellers simply e-mail you the code from the back of the card.

2. You must create a new iTunes account, since an iTunes account can only be associated with one country.

2a. Open iTunes, and go to the iTunes Store
2b. Scroll to the bottom of any page, and you will see a country flag icon in the bottom right-corner. Click on the flag, and choose Japan (日本).
2c. Now that you're in the Japan store, click "Sign In" in the upper-right corner of iTunes
2d. Click "Create New Account"
2e. You need to use a different e-mail address for your Japan account. Follow the directions and create your new account.

3. Now that you are signed in, you need to add the Gift Card to your account.

3a. On the Home Page for the iTunes Store, in the upper-right corner in the "Quick Links" section, click "Redeem"
3b. Enter your gift card code and click Redeem, and your account will now show a 1500 yen credit.

4. Go to http://itunes.apple.com/jp/album/jal...-ep/id96924113 (or search for "JAL to Tokyo") and add the album to your cart. Checkout and download.