Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2005, 04:19 PM
lloyd
bungalow

HMH show - the afterpartythread
What a fabfreakingtasticmothermover of a show!
First of all we had a great meeting with some fellow dirties at the cafe next to the HMH, all nice people of whom some travelled 13 hours by train from Poland to see the show. Not that flying in from the UK or even NY is 'crazycrazycrazy'... But driving 13 hours by train.. my goth! Meeting details in the thread about it.

The show.
After darren DJ'ed, Blackstrobe came on stage and played an interesting concert. Some of the tracks were good, some nice. It wasn't my stuff really, rythms and the used synth sounds didn't differ enough per track. But the BASS was loud and banging Always good!

Darren spun some nice tracks again and around 9pm rick and karl came on stage to do some last tweaks and let the first track flow over the track darren was spinning.
The rest was one flow of energy, tweaked tracks, improvs and everything we love about Underworld. Precise tracklist I'll leave to other people as I'm already lost. But, we got a super-extended-Uber-long version of KoS which was brilliant. Juanita was played! Not only Rick sang but also Darren. Darren sang through the vocoder over a great track which has Dub influences. The 'visions' song is great played live and also the track with the DnB/triphop rythm went down well with the dutch crowd.
Ofcourse Born Slippy was welcomed by a roaring crowd, it was mixed in after a very good improv. The people did remember Push Upstairs very well and got them moving and shouting and singing. There was another new track, very slow and had interesting lyrics, it sounded like it was made for a movie. After a hot, steaming 1:45 flow of energy it was over and the crowd gave them a long and very loud applause. After a couple of minutes they were back on stage to play Jumbo.
Then it was really over, Karl told us that the vibe was to good to stop but 'Vibe-police' wouldn't allow anymore.
With a little trouble we met with all our friends again, waited for some time at the artist door but had to leave for trains and metros before they came out.
Super concert! Thanks boys and all the people we/I met today!
Old 07-17-2005, 05:28 PM
Jason Roth
The Vice President

Re: HMH show - the afterpartythread
All I can say is, wow.

First of all, thank you to all the other dirties that I met, for turning my solo journey into a full on group effort. It was an unforgettable night.

The show - it can be broken down into two distinct parts. The first hour was mixed together - like a club gig. Brilliant song selection, a few new ones, a few old ones. Including Juanita/Kiteless, which I had never heard live before this gig. The second hour was played song by song, with breaks in between. Different, but fantastic none the less. Yes, you could tell that the boys had one more in them, but were constrained by the clock. All of this done in the HMH, which is an amazing venue - great acoustics and plenty of room to dance.

Now it's 3.40, and I must be getting to bed.

Cheers
Old 07-17-2005, 11:02 PM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

sounds like you all had a great evening...i wish i was there...

not sure if you know but as far as i could see there were NO webcasts of this so i didn't get any recordings

i'm not sure if anyone else did manage to
Old 07-18-2005, 02:09 AM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

It was great, more full report later.

Last edited by King of Snake; 07-18-2005 at 02:13 AM.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:05 AM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

tracklisting (as I remember it):

01 new track
02 improv
03 juanita
04 pearl's girl
05 improv
06 BS Nuxx/2003
07 new track
08 Push Upstairs
09 new track
10 King of Snake
11 Cowgirl/Rez
12 Jumbo

could be slight difference in the order played but that's about it. They played three new tracks, including the vision/drum 'n bass track. The other two were much slower, laid back pieces. They played Juanita!! That was very cool, although I missed that synth sound which starts of live juanita on EE or bootlegs like ECG. This was more of a straight album version although mixed very nicely with the opening track.
Surprisingly, nothing at all was played from AHDO.
Sound was good, although at some points, especially the BF tracks later on in the show, I kinda missed the punch of the kickdrum, as if it wasn't quite loud enough in the mix. The visuals weren't really interesting, they use a few camera's on stage to capture grainy nightvision footage of the band and audience and play it with a few effects on it. And there was no video for most of the show anyway. Bring back the Tomato video's!!!
I really loved the first half of the show, because it of juanita and the fact that it was all mixed together and improvised like it should be. The second half was not quite as good, playing all the standard tracks with pauses in between (of course there were the new tracks which kept things interesting). Rez was played very short, almost like an outtro to cowgirl only it seemed. It was still a great show though, probably the best one I've seen so far.

Last edited by King of Snake; 07-18-2005 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:13 AM
irishboy
whiplash willy

[QUOTE=King of Snake]tracklisting (as I remember it):

01 new track
02 improv
03 juanita
04 pearl's girl
05 improv
06 BS Nuxx/2003
07 new track
08 Push Upstairs
09 new track
10 King of Snake
11 Jumbo

QUOTE]

wow - no moaner to close, must be a while since that's happened. looks like a solid set - strange that there was no TMO at the very least from AHDO. Sound like a great gig from the reports though - roll on August 20th!!!!!
Old 07-18-2005, 03:24 AM
sole_fellow
bass vibration

Send a message via ICQ to sole_fellow Send a message via AIM to sole_fellow Send a message via MSN to sole_fellow Send a message via Yahoo to sole_fellow
i'd like to add how great it was to finally meet up with so many dirties/rtsr's after all these years. we had a big group of about 20 before the show!

this was also my first uw show, and it was everything i could want it to be. the new tracks were different but personally i really liked them, esp the dnb/trip-hop beats.

i'll let you know when i've sorted all my photos/video - hopefully be online in the next few days.

mike
Old 07-18-2005, 04:40 AM
DwarfeD

Awesome!!!

Really enjoyed the show. Loved the new track they started with! Also the KoS-version they played was excellent, heard some parts of the version they put online on underworldlive.com, great!!

It was a wonderful evening! I hope 3voor12 will put some content online, they already did with the concerts of 13 & 14 Juli from the 05 Days Off-festival

uw0769
Old 07-18-2005, 05:14 AM
Techno_Bunny
born012

it was great marvelous!!
pity Mojo was in between us and the band we tried though!
It was absolutely beautiful to meet every one and see all those happy faces around me during the gig.
the new trakcs are brilliant and seem to fit right in, can't wait to hear more!
what really blew me out of my socks was hearing Rick sing, he has an amzing voice!!! Hope to hear it much more often...

take care every one, have a good flight/journey back home
Old 07-18-2005, 05:48 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

01 new track
02 improv
03 juanita
04 pearl's girl
05 improv
06 BS Nuxx/2003
07 new track
08 Push Upstairs
09 new track
10 King of Snake
11 Jumbo

wow! sounds awesome everyone. i bet there were more than a few people in the crowd pissed that TMO wasnt played. (i have a bunch of friends here at my job who have just gotten into UW and would be mortified if TMO wasnt played at a show they went to)