Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 08-25-2017, 12:11 PM
mark3
pants

Re: Beaucoup Fish - 4 CD Remastered Deluxe Box Set (8/25/2017)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joethelion View Post
Here's at least the Discogs page for it
https://www.discogs.com/Underworld-K...release/136559

Honestly - I don't think I've ever seen it, in person - or online... although, come to think of it... I vaguely remember someone on here unloading their collection, and I think they had it, but it got snapped up very quickly (or... that might've been the 12" - which isn't quite as rare)
I sold my spare copy last year for £24 on eBay. I did announce it on this forum, though.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:29 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by khouri View Post
These reissues and the reactions to them have raised an interesting question. Is what listeners like about Underworld the same as what Underworld likes about Underworld?
i realized this was probably not the case for me right around Oblivion With Bells (which coincidentally is also when i started letting go of this teenage fanboy hangup). definitely a lot to love on there and since but i suddenly felt like i was in a different place than they were about what made it all so great.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:41 PM
darktrain
powered by robuts

I'm still holding out hope for something like Aphex launched recently; tons of archived/hard to find tracks, multiple formats, pay the artist directly, little room for fanboy complaining
Old 08-25-2017, 01:41 PM
pandamagic
river

Quote:
Originally Posted by khouri View Post
These reissues and the reactions to them have raised an interesting question. Is what listeners like about Underworld the same as what Underworld likes about Underworld?
Well, this is always the question with any band and their fans.

With me, I discovered Underworld in late 1994 and quickly became obsessed with the specific pallet of sounds and moods that was Dubnobass. The aesthetics & sensibilities of that album created this self-contained, cohesive, and immersive world that one could enter into and get lost in. It was uniquely Underworld's space. Second Toughest very much existed in that space as well, and at that point, me and the band were seemingly still on the same page. But by the time we get to Beaucoup Fish, they've already started to expand the notion of what Underworld is a bit, partly by bringing in a host of guest remixers for the singles (to varying degrees of success) and partly as a response to how their live shows were evolving. And maybe the success of Born Slippy.Nuxx pushed them off into a different direction as well. Whatever the reason, I felt like there was a subtle dumbing-down of the brand, a move towards a sensibility that I didn't relate to as much. I still loved that album but it was the first sign that the honeymoon was coming to an end.

I've still followed everything they've done since, and have enjoyed a lot of it, but I've never really quite connected with them as I did with the first two albums. If I had jumped on board with Underworld circa Hundred Days Off, then that would be my ground zero and I would forever compare everything to that. I think a band's need to evolve and challenge themselves is always going to be at odds with the consumer's need to (re)connect to that moment in which they first established their conception of the band. It's just an occupational hazard I guess.

Having said that, I don't think its unreasonable for fans to prefer original UW content over the remixes done by other producers, or for fans to expect a certain level of meticulousness and quality from a box set they're expected to pay quite a bit of money for. I don't think these complaints are motivated purely by taste or nostalgia.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:20 PM
Resolute
Heal yourself,

Extending push upstairs, jumbo and moaner since they don't release long versions on these ever.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:41 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute View Post
Extending push upstairs, jumbo and moaner since they don't release long versions on these ever.
What? Long version of Push is on 1992-2002, long version of Jumbo on 1992-2012, and long version of Moaner on both 1992-2002 and 1992-2012. All readily accessible.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:43 PM
Billy Goat
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by darktrain View Post
I'm still holding out hope for something like Aphex launched recently; tons of archived/hard to find tracks, multiple formats, pay the artist directly, little room for fanboy complaining
This is exactly it for me too! My only worry is how much I would spend if they did!

They tease us by saying things like they have hundreds of unreleased tracks and it seems they record most of their live shows and jams in the studio as they have released such material previously. With all that promise to then serve up what is on this remaster is a bit of a pi$$ take in my opinion.

In the past it is clear they have looked at comments on this site and reacted to them i.e. the post about who all the vocal samples are by so I can't understand why they've ignored us this time? I think they've taken advantage of our loyalty this time.

The only other thing I can think is that Darren Emerson didn't agree to releasing the kind of stuff that I would've liked to hear? Do we know how involved he was with these reissues or if his permission was needed to include stuff?

As for the whole nostalgia thing, I agree and yes I do prefer their early stuff but I actually still like most of the new stuff although I think it's clear that the quality has been decreasing over the past couple of albums. As my OWB Tour mixes show, I think that that time was when they were at their best live. There was proper improv without it just being a bland cymbal line in between 2 songs like in the early days, and it was very polished but there were lots of extra/new bits that added to the tracks. I would buy every concert from that tour!

Maybe when I actually listen to the remixes I might be presently surprised but I expect I'll listen to them once or twice and that will be it!

I'll stop moaning now and go and have a listen to Five points!

Last edited by Billy Goat; 08-25-2017 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:47 PM
negative1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamagic View Post
Well, this is always the question with any band and their fans.

With me, I discovered Underworld in late 1994 and quickly became obsessed with the specific pallet of sounds and moods that was Dubnobass. The aesthetics & sensibilities of that album created this self-contained, cohesive, and immersive world that one could enter into and get lost in. It was uniquely Underworld's space. Second Toughest very much existed in that space as well, and at that point, me and the band were seemingly still on the same page. But by the time we get to Beaucoup Fish, they've already started to expand the notion of what Underworld is a bit, partly by bringing in a host of guest remixers for the singles (to varying degrees of success) and partly as a response to how their live shows were evolving. And maybe the success of Born Slippy.Nuxx pushed them off into a different direction as well. Whatever the reason, I felt like there was a subtle dumbing-down of the brand, a move towards a sensibility that I didn't relate to as much. I still loved that album but it was the first sign that the honeymoon was coming to an end.

I've still followed everything they've done since, and have enjoyed a lot of it, but I've never really quite connected with them as I did with the first two albums. If I had jumped on board with Underworld circa Hundred Days Off, then that would be my ground zero and I would forever compare everything to that. I think a band's need to evolve and challenge themselves is always going to be at odds with the consumer's need to (re)connect to that moment in which they first established their conception of the band. It's just an occupational hazard I guess.

Having said that, I don't think its unreasonable for fans to prefer original UW content over the remixes done by other producers, or for fans to expect a certain level of meticulousness and quality from a box set they're expected to pay quite a bit of money for. I don't think these complaints are motivated purely by taste or nostalgia.
i agree with pretty much everything here,

however, the riverrun era, web tracks, and remixes easily brought them
back to the top of my radar, and the triple live tokyo cd, is one of their
best releases also, easily surpassing everything, everything.

after that its been a lot of hit and misses.

later
Old 08-25-2017, 03:04 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
It's also interesting to hear the alternate version of "Jumbo" - it reminds me of the early live version
Which live version?

Quote:
...and was that Dub mix of Jumbo at the end ever released commercially? I don't ever remember hearing it before...
Previously unreleased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamagic View Post
Yeah what's the story with these? The Futureshock mix is quite good - seems odd that it was commissioned and never used.
There seem to be a few of these every time.

For AHDO, there's possibly an unreleased Twist remix.

For OwB, there's possibly an unreleased Simian Mobile Disco remix of Ring Road, and there's the Faxed Invitation Pig & Dan remix that was only released later on their compilation.

For Barking, there are rejected Always Loved a Film remix and dub from DJ Madskillz.

For Barbara Barbara, there's the unused Dave Seaman remix of Low Burn.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:16 PM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
Which live version?.
Oh - I mistyped, I meant to say it reminded me of an early live version

but I can't remember which show / bootleg... I guess the closest would be 1998.11.92 | Mojo Club, Reeperbahn