Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:46 PM
ultradave
the doorway boy...

Re: New Album: Barbara Barbara, we face a shining future (March 18, 2016)
Twenty Three Blue (Japanese Bonus) - Best track on the LP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatobroth View Post
How ridiculous would this be?
Good thing I pre-ordered my iTunes release via the Japanese store.

The only UW LP I was able to get a sneak listen to was Barking. I had that well before it was released officially. I purchase all my UW tracks, so I have no guilt lifting BB from a torrent. I will have to say I have mixed feelings on the LP. I was hoping for a little more. It starts off strong with I Exhale and then onto If Rah, but Low Burn and Santiago Cuatro (to me they sound more like B-Side tracks) - Don't get me wrong, they are both great tracks, but as part of the LP flow - they fit in oddly, especially Santiago... The good thing is that after these 2 tracks the LP progresses into a good flow. Motorhome is very chill and then it picks up on Ova Nova and Nylon Strung is a great closer, definitely one of my favourites on the LP. It makes me feel good like Best Mamgu Ever...

I may find myself growing more into this as I listen to it more. As for the Japanese bonus track, I'll have to wait until the 16th for that...

Update: After several more listens, I am diggin' this release. There's a lot going on musically which I do appreciate. Low Burn is really growing on me more too. Listening to Motorhome more too and it's like a throwback to the BF era (I loved that era). I'm really looking forward to their show this April in Pomona!!!

Last edited by ultradave; 03-01-2016 at 08:54 AM. Reason: ...the rhythm, the rhythm, the rhythm...
Old 02-29-2016, 10:22 PM
marcolphus
mouseman

After three listens I also have mixed feelings. I Exhale is far too long and get boring after 3 minutes. If Rah is very good, Low Burn is brilliant, for me it's the only really Underworld-ish track on the album. Santiago and Motorhome are really ok, Ova Nova and Nylon Strung - not sure about these two, have to listen to them more.

Interesting thing: Santiago Cuatro is very similar to first movement of 'Odejście' a track made by polish prog-rock band SBB. Check it out:
Old 02-29-2016, 10:25 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Further down the Adult Contemporary hole we go...

kidding.

kinda.

I was prepared to have a laugh at it but I'm getting friendly with it. I like this sound better than where OWB was aesthetically, and it's a damn sight better than pretty much anything on Barking (aside from Bird 1). it's low on the bpms, but there's a dignity in not trying to make hype tracks when you're fifty-seven years old. first two tracks are too goofball to advocate for, but they're fun and got in my head anyhow (i'm expecting some sort of 90s-style, 5fps video to accompany If Rah). Low Burn and Ova Nova are my takeaway "oh yes please" jams where i feel some ghost of a specific UW thrill, while Motorhome seems like the weakest link (a whole lot of chemical brothers done really cheesy and slowed down with some un-ignorably iffy words). the closer sounds like it'd go great live yet it's a bit empty in a strange way.

but more than anything I'm relieved this is free of crippling embarrassments like Ring Road or Boyx3 or half of Barking.

Last edited by dubman; 02-29-2016 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:55 PM
ultradave
the doorway boy...

Does anyone know who's singing the vocals with Karl on Nylon Strung? It could just very well be his own voice filtered through a vocoder, but it sounds feminine.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:35 AM
testudo
JunkiesCriminalsFugitives

Location: The international territory and the mighty infamous
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultradave View Post
Does anyone know who's singing the vocals with Karl on Nylon Strung? It could just very well be his own voice filtered through a vocoder, but it sounds feminine.
I can almost guarantee it is Rick's daughter.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:17 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatobroth View Post
Are you sure about OwB? Pretty sure I had that prior to release but I could be mistaken.
Yes. It's just the Japan release date was nearly 2 weeks before the rest of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubman View Post
but more than anything I'm relieved this is free of crippling embarrassments like Ring Road or Boyx3 or half of Barking.
Sorry, Alan, we have to take back your forum curmudgeon card now.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:00 AM
ultradave
the doorway boy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
forum curmudgeon card
Thank you for hitting my funny bone with this post! LOL!!!
Old 03-01-2016, 11:41 AM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
Yes

Sorry, Alan, we have to take back your forum curmudgeon card now.
pretty sure BLD took that championship belt from me awhile ago
Old 03-02-2016, 08:07 AM
darkvoice
mouseman

Karl did say something about having 30 or 40 track with lots of vocals in the podcast interview. Curious about these tracks and what did NOT make the BB album though.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:59 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkvoice View Post
Karl did say something about having 30 or 40 track with lots of vocals in the podcast interview. Curious about these tracks and what did NOT make the BB album though.
I first thought that, but I now think he meant Vocal Tracks. There's no way they wrote 30-40 'songs' and then decided to make a 7 song album.