Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 09-13-2019, 04:33 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Re: DRIFT Series 1 - New album, Nov 1, 2019
Yeah! it went from "okay well I guess b-sides aren't really the productive thing to do anymore and the AHDO ones are just generous side-notes" to a literal embarrassment of riches and an open look into the process. my high school brain would have *popped* at this. even now as a tired 30-something they've still dominated my musical interests for the year with this series.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:41 PM
negative1

Quote:
Originally Posted by purlieu View Post
Generally, samplers tend to contain three or four tracks from the full album (or sometimes just edited snippets of tracks)*, so the industry use of the term is very much not an album - which is why it intrigued me that they've changed the wording.

*Beaucoup Fish's is a good example, while AHDO's is actually quite baffling.
Thats all well and fine. But those were promo's only, so its
fine calling those samplers.

What will be interesting, is when promo samplers of this
'sampler' album show up. Will it have some of the tracks,
or all of them.

So if it's a sampler album, it sure has a lot of tracks for one.

It's more of semantics to me.

later
Old 09-14-2019, 12:27 AM
ultradave
the doorway boy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by negative1 View Post
...So if it's a sampler album, it sure has a lot of tracks for one.
This is true. It is an oddity to commercially release a sampler. A sampler is usually a promo item. UW have definitely done something unique with the Drift series. What other band has released new (exceptionally great) music every week for a year... I think the sampler should just pose as a stream item to entice listeners to purchase the boxset. The only sampler worth a purchase is the vinyl if you need that medium.

It’s amazing how much sounds have been recycled and turned into fantastic tracks. I want a longer version of S T A R S!!! Rick & Karl, if you’re browsing, thank you!!!
Old 09-14-2019, 07:32 AM
purlieu
enofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by negative1 View Post
It's more of semantics to me.
Of course, but that's what's interesting: they've made a specific decision to change the wording of the album's title, and thus the connotations that go with it.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:48 AM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Regarding the cover art, why does the dog show through the letters I and F, but not the R? Its shoulder looks chopped off, as it should appear a little bit behind the R. Tomato wouldn't be that sloppy with their compositing, would they? Or is this a graphic design fluorish I'm missing?
Old 09-15-2019, 11:32 PM
deepfriedbeans
river

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
Regarding the cover art, why does the dog show through the letters I and F, but not the R? Its shoulder looks chopped off, as it should appear a little bit behind the R. Tomato wouldn't be that sloppy with their compositing, would they? Or is this a graphic design fluorish I'm missing?
That's bothering me now. Perhaps the lighting on that side of the dog meant there would be insufficient contrast between the R and the yellow part? Or maybe it looked off because it would cut right in the middle of the R? But you'd think that they'd keep it consistent with the other letters, so I don't know!
Old 09-16-2019, 04:46 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

as much as i love dogs, this cover art does nothing for me at all
Old 09-16-2019, 05:58 AM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

hah did not notice the 'R' thing before, now it's gonna bother me forever

for what its worth I thought all the cover art for this series felt kinda placeholdery. like something generated by the label because you didn't turn anything in. doesn't really fit in with their other covers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purlieu View Post
the closest thing to what we've had in the last 52 weeks is probably the Dubnobass era, which provided us with 33 tracks in less than two years (plus some radio edits), over the course of various 12"s, singles and CD EPs.

if I remember correctly around the time of the mega-deluxe reissue there was an interview with Karl where he spoke highly of this era and called it "true Underworld" or something like that, then implied that UW were heading back into that direction (by which I mean, no direction at all, just doing whatever sounds good to them). I guess they really did mean it after all.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:18 PM
lemonjelly
mouseman

tracklisting appears to be changing. Appleshiner on the official site is now listed as Appleshine (All The Lights) (previously unreleased).
Old 10-04-2019, 05:43 PM
domsgotsideburns
mouseman

the Japan bundles include this very nice DRIFT Series 1 t-shirt
https://rockinon.com/news/detail/189592