Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > treatment.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2007, 01:32 PM
Stephen
Hi! I'm Barry Scott!

Dead Man's Shoes
Has anyone seen this Shane Meadow's film from 2004? I watched it last night and it's definitely gone into my top ten of all time. Possibly into the top 3.

I don't want to say much about it as I wouldn't be able to say much without spoiling it but it's a sort of revenge story set on a midlands council estate and the story, direction and acting are all absolutely spot-on resulting in an incredibly sad and moving film with what must be the best anti-hero character ever committed to celluloid in Paddy Considine's 'Richard'.

I can't recommend this highly enough. Forget Guy Ritchie's romanticisation and parodying of british gangsters/crime and check out this overwhelmingly realistic piece of work.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:16 PM
grady
fac321

Re: Dead Man's Shoes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
I can't recommend this highly enough. Forget Guy Ritchie's romanticisation and parodying of british gangsters/crime and check out this overwhelmingly realistic piece of work.
I always felt Mr. Madonna was a little too over praised for his work with the exception of the BMW short film he did in 2000.

I've got it in my que of downloads at the moment.

The trailer for this film is farmilar and I remember seeing it alas it never hit Portland, not too surprising sometimes. The other thing that I remember about the trailer for this film and the story was that it reminded me of the Mike Hodges film I'll Sleep when I'm done.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:05 AM
GoatSucker
GoatSuckerLive.com

This is a great film, one of my favourites. The soundtrack is awesome too, ended up buying that from Warp.
I'm looking out for the new Shane Meadows film, This Is England, it's had good previews.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:50 PM
Emmet
mouseman

I watched it for the first time a couple of weeks ago, FANTASTIC film. Bought the first album by Clayhill off the back of the 'featurette' on there Northern Soul.

Truly wonderous stuff.

The Home of Live Dance Music
Old 03-21-2007, 02:02 PM
lukeyd
j00 makes kitteh scared

Send a message via MSN to lukeyd
i saw this on film four a few months ago - he's a bit of a messed up chap really. excellent

spoiler: [color=#C8B090]all of the revenge kills were just so brutal and cold. there was something extremely darkly comic about all these guys tripping their nuts off, and richard killing them one by one. and he looked so perfectly sad about having to do it [/COLOR]
Old 03-28-2007, 04:10 AM
Tom
BttKBtKt!

Send a message via AIM to Tom Send a message via MSN to Tom
I saw this on the weekend and I have to agree with Stephen - this is amazing.

Paddy is fucking unreal. By far my favorite scene is when Sunny tries to intimidate him on the street. Fuck.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:02 AM
Stephen
Hi! I'm Barry Scott!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
I saw this on the weekend and I have to agree with Stephen - this is amazing.

Paddy is fucking unreal. By far my favorite scene is when Sunny tries to intimidate him on the street. Fuck.
I thought it was awesome when he shouted "YOU, YOU CUNT" in the pub at the start but then it just got better. Everything Richard says is awesome. I want to be that much of a badass.

I might watch this again at the weekend.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:09 AM
Dave
is floating

Wow, thanks for the recommendation, this is probably the best movie I've seen so far this year. Paddy was brilliant, as were all the actors come to think of it.

Spoiler: [color=#C8B090]I thought the B&W flashbacks were amazingly effective. Also the scene that lukeyd mentioned, where he drugs them and executes them one by one, was one the most calmly intense movies scenes ever.[/COLOR]

I followed up on Shane Meadows and watched This is England the other day. I was far less impressed by it actually, despite reading similar praise. It had a similar style about it but it came across as a little contrived. Has anyone seen any of his other work?

Dave
Old 04-08-2007, 01:44 PM
Stephen
Hi! I'm Barry Scott!

Oh my God. Metacritic.com has possibly the single most inappropriate (and inaccurate) description of a film ever for DMS:

"A genre-defying film blending horror, supernatural elements, comedy, and social realism. Set in a Midlands village, it explores the underbelly of contemporary rural Britain in communities where crime is unchecked and drugs, intimidation, and power games are blandly accepted as the fabric of daily life. (Magnolia Pictures)"

I'm presuming that the writer of the above:
1. Has never been to the UK.
2. Doesn't understand metaphor. Supernatural elements my arse.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:52 AM
BufoBufo
blacknylonjacket

My second favourite film of all time. I was lucky enough to see an advance screening of This Is England in November, and while it's not at striking as DMS, it's still a very good film and is garnering Meadows the attention he deserves. It's about time Nick Love et al were put in their place.

Anyone seen A Room For Romeo Brass, Meadows' second feature also starring Paddy? It's up there with DMS, but much more funny (though still plenty of scary bits).